US Airways lands lowest satisfaction ratings in flier survey

Great post Sky News but now if we could just get the company to fulfill THEIR end of the bargain. Instead they try their hardest and work overtime at screwing the flight attendants, hell every work group at ever turn they can. That is a fact. So we the employees are to uphold our end of the bargain (contract) while we watch them bust their promises and contract DAILY? All while putting on a smile to the customer as you're taking the boot in the .......? You can only treat your employees so bad for so long. It certainly isn't the customers fault but you get better results from a happy group of individuals. FACT! ! ! !

Reactions: 1 person
Hi Galley Princess

Not sure what you consider junior...I have 23 years with with USAirways. In some circles that would appear senior, in others, junior. Let's just say that I pretty much still have to work weekends!

A lot of what you say in your post is true. On many levels I too, find USAirways mangement to be disingenuous. But I also realize that many companies have made difficult changes that have changed the lives of their employees post 9/11. I also realize that we have a contract that "we" (east) agreed to work under until the end of this year or until the joint contract is ratified, which ever comes first. Do I like what "we" agreed to in our current contract? No, of course not. But I do respect the process.

As far as service, we do far less service these days than we have in the past. Think back to the days of coach pre departure wine & oj, 3 choices of meals, coach hot towel and buttermint services, carving meat and safting veggies in biz class etc. Like you, I would rather be busy, doing the service, than sitting on my jumpseat. I do realize that I am at WORK and that the people on the plane are the ones who pay my salary. Regardless of what I think about our current contract, or my opinions of our leadership, I do have a personal work effort and take pride in the service (as limited as it may be)I offer.

On the safety front, our basic responsibilities haven't changed. Yet, it is amazing to me how many f/a's don't even take the time to check their emergency equipment or look for their demo equipment when they board the a/c.

The final analysis is that this problem is all of ours. I am not a hand holding, "Kumbya," type of person, that believe's we should rally together for the better of the airline. However, I do believe we should do the job that "we," through a contract that "we" have agreed upon, are getting paid to do. Nothing, more OR less, is expected.

Well Said Sky!! Bravo!!

US Airways lands lowest satisfaction ratings in flier survey
CNN
By Ashley Strickland, Special to CNN US Airways received the lowest marks for cabin-crew service in a Consumer Reports survey. (CNN) -- A new Consumer Reports survey reveals that air travelers want comfort without emptying their wallets

US Airways landed at the bottom of the list for overall satisfaction, also receiving the lowest marks for cabin-crew service. The airline was also ranked lowest in 2007, when the last Consumer Reports airline rankings were released.

A US Airways spokesman questioned the methodology of the Consumer Reports survey and pointed out a 70 percent improvement in baggage delivery since 2007. The airline scored a 61 out of 100 in overall satisfaction on the Consumer Reports scale. Scores above 60 mean those surveyed were "fairly well satisfied," according to the ratings guide.

Southwest Airlines topped the rankings for overall satisfaction, with JetBlue Airways coming in second in the survey of nearly 15,000 passengers.

JetBlue and Southwest also scored highest in seat comfort. The remaining eight of the 10 airlines scored low marks for comfort.

Baggage handling, check-in ease, cleanliness and in-flight entertainment were some of the other factors rated.

The passengers shared their experiences from a collective 29,720 domestic flights from January 2010 to January 2011.

Southwest and JetBlue battled to top each other. While JetBlue was the only airline to outscore Southwest in seat comfort, Southwest was rated the ultimate for check-in ease and cabin-crew service.

JetBlue topped the in-flight entertainment ratings, with 36 channels available on each seatback screen.

These survey results were compiled before cracks were discovered in some of Southwest Airlines' planes.

The pileup of added fees during or after check-in is contributing to many travelers' decisions to fly less, according to the survey. Of the respondents who said they've cut back on flying, 40 percent cited fees as the major reason.

While most Southwest Airlines travelers -- 93 percent -- managed to avoid extra fees, passengers flying with Continental Airlines, JetBlue, Delta Airlines, American Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines and Frontier Airlines had to pay fees.

AirTran's multiple fees were rated the worst.

US also got below average marks for baggage handling and cabin cleanliness, so did some others.

Say whatever you want...and I haven't read other comments...yet!...but US got the overall lowest score. That means that NO one is in back of you, and EVERY one is ahead of you :p I thought you would at least beat Air-Tran. So I was wrong.

Like to move up in seniority would ya . Management wanting some HP style steepford employees.Go watch the PHL customer service town hall meaning and get back to us

So don't retire....drum roll...just do your job better than you have been and keep the Kettle(as you refer to them) happy :)

many of the factors that AFFECT the LOW SCORES for US have nothing to do with The Employees.....it can be attributed to the so called "MISSION" of the corporation. The ala carte' pricing for bags, seats, pillow/blankets,etc. certainly Do NOT help, but the consumer IS GETTING E-x-a-c-t-l-y what they want..........LOWER FARES. Ask The esteemed Consumer and THEY will still tell You that they are Paying TOO MUCH. It isn't the F/A's fault that glassware ISN'T offered on short haul flights in F/C or that a meal isn't served on flights shorter than 3 hours. It isn't the F/A's fault that someone in F/C doesn't care for the selection of snacks offered in the Snack Basket because Doritos are not included in the 'mix of product'. It isn't the F/a's fault that ENTERTAINMENT (movie/audio) isn't provided domestically.......that is a Company issue. It isn't the F/a's fault that some IDIOT from the Sandcastle chose to eliminate closets in F/C on the Airbus.........that rests squarely with the FOOL that made the decision to impliment that maneuver. These surveys/polls are VERY SUBJECTIVE and really have no merit because it is NOT reflective in judging ANY Airline on the REAL ISSUES. The consumer can be Very Fickle, often times Spiteful and many times look at these surveys with a "What have You done for Me lately" approach. I find it absolutely hilarious that Southwest always manages to come out On Top.........and personally I can't stand them or their CattleCar Operation. Jetblue will always get high marks because of the Video System, Free Snacks and "Newer, trendy image.....it's soooooooo New Yorkish". I have flown EVERY Airline multiple times over the years and find All of the Legacy Carriers (the one's that can take You places around the World) to be very similar. They all have good employees that can be helpful but an occassional "snake in the Grass' employee that will bite your head off in an instance if approached. THAT is the Realm of Customer Service. But to State that SWA is the Best please, STOP The Ride, I want to get OFF! People have VERY SHORT Term memories when it comes to looking at The Big Picture. The Consumer has CHOICES and "IF" You as a passenger are so hell bent in Your Demands, it is YOUR Mission to find the Airline (or ANY Business) to Meet Your needs. No one is going to structure their business to tailor to every Whim that blows up your skirt. Blaming the Employees is NOT The Problem.........

Hmmm...I'll admit that I have found articles that would make SWA look like a lower life form than they portray themselves. I heard of a surprise in their free bag campaign, but that is not the topic.
Regardless of any negative publicity, LUV is able to smell like a rose, while US just smells rotten to the core. The employees may no be the problem, but they should be the front line solution.

As far as choices, some places really have no choice. Its US, Delta, or your car!

All you have to do is read Southwest 's Gary Kelly presidents message in their April inflight magazine and you will see why Parker can't run an airline. Quote from the last paragraph "Each department has a dedicated team working together to create action plans to make Southwest an even happier place. And because happy employees provide great customer service, you, our customers benefit". The tile of the article was "The Happiest Place to Work" Any questions?
They still don't get it.

IMHO LCC hasn't figured out what they want to be when they grow up.
Are they:
- An aviation company that delivers great service? (no)
- A service company that happens to primarily provide transporation to people and goods? (no)
- A financial company generating fees and profits for investors and affiliates by providing transporation services? (no)
- ????
So, what is LCC?
- Low cost as its ticker symbol implies? (no)
- New and improved? (no)
- Full service legacy? (no)
- 'Mesa Grande'? (....well, maybe....)

But, according to management, LCC is a "great" airline.
I don't think so.
The definition of "great" would mean that the company was excelling in all areas with respect to its peers. (no)
The definition of "great" would also mean an iconic perception has been generated by the customers we serve, kinda like 'Kleenex' or 'Home Depot' or 'Apple Computer' or 'WalMart' or, yes here it comes......'Southwest Airlines'.

"Great" would also imply that LCC's employees were the most fulfilled in the industry. (no)

'Course, DP's definition might be different than mine...but whatever it is it would be nice to know:
- What LCC is...
- Where LCC is heading (5 and 10 year plan/vision/hallucination/whatever)
- What employees/customers/investors/vendors can expect in the near and far future.

So, is management still in 'crisis' mode and taking it day to day/month to month?
Is the company on solid footing or approaching a precipice?
Is the company preparing to be merged or will it acquire or be acquired?
Will the stock ever break 10 again?
Stay tuned...one thing about this industry is always true: things change daily.
Cheers.
Doug fiddles while US burns :(

Hi Galley Princess

Not sure what you consider junior...I have 23 years with with USAirways. In some circles that would appear senior, in others, junior. Let's just say that I pretty much still have to work weekends!

A lot of what you say in your post is true. On many levels I too, find USAirways mangement to be disingenuous. But I also realize that many companies have made difficult changes that have changed the lives of their employees post 9/11. I also realize that we have a contract that "we" (east) agreed to work under until the end of this year or until the joint contract is ratified, which ever comes first. Do I like what "we" agreed to in our current contract? No, of course not. But I do respect the process.

As far as service, we do far less service these days than we have in the past. Think back to the days of coach pre departure wine & oj, 3 choices of meals, coach hot towel and buttermint services, carving meat and safting veggies in biz class etc. Like you, I would rather be busy, doing the service, than sitting on my jumpseat. I do realize that I am at WORK and that the people on the plane are the ones who pay my salary. Regardless of what I think about our current contract, or my opinions of our leadership, I do have a personal work effort and take pride in the service (as limited as it may be)I offer.

On the safety front, our basic responsibilities haven't changed. Yet, it is amazing to me how many f/a's don't even take the time to check their emergency equipment or look for their demo equipment when they board the a/c.

The final analysis is that this problem is all of ours. I am not a hand holding, "Kumbya," type of person, that believe's we should rally together for the better of the airline. However, I do believe we should do the job that "we," through a contract that "we" have agreed upon, are getting paid to do. Nothing, more OR less, is expected.

Actually, I don't disagree with anything that you posted.

The thing is, I don't work a ton of hours. I FLY with people who do and I guess while I wish that things were different, I have seen in the past nine years that nothing is going to change at US until either we disappear or we are engulfed by another company so huge that all of this will be moot. They are TIRED. They are tired of making crap. They are tired of the stress and they AREN'T going to do anything other than the minimum. If there are so many of them, then really where does the problem lie with them? If it's more than a certain few, sorry it's the system.

Right or wrong, US f/as work more than they ever have, with less tools and staffing than ever.

Carving? There was an A, D, F and an H up in that cabin. Now-- an A and D and the service, minus the carving is not that different.

When we threw those genie trays we usually had an extra, and no one except for a measured few flew more than 90 hours a month. Passengers were happier, we fed them and despite the seat being small, it kept them busy and the time passed. There were short subject videos and a movie, sure you had to pay a couple dollars for the headset, but you weren't smarting from a charge for your bag, a charge for a mediocre salad and a charge for a container of chips. That all used to be included. Your f/a was pleasant and why not? She probably worked three four days worth 25 hours each and a two day worth 12 hours and went home, and THAT was a full schedule. She didn't have to charge for meals, run a computer, negotiate smart-aleck comments about said charges and fly over 100 hours a month.

So I don't disagree with you, but. . .

You get what you pay for.

So who is #1? :p
What the article really said was that on the latest DOT report US ranked second "in on-time arrivals, first in baggage performance, and second in customer satisfaction among five major airlines."

As has been said, good on core metrics - not so good on perception, which covers a lot more than just metrics. Looking over the results in the areas CU ranked by, my impression is that a lot of the perception is due to fees. Take 'baggage handling' - the best legacy score was average while the worst lcc score was above average. Given the extremely small percentage of passengers who don't have their bags arrive where and when they do on any carrier, the actual baggage handling metric doesn't explain the variation. But all the legacies charge a fee for every checked bag while the lcc's check at least the first bag free.

Jim

We (Parker et al) are running a great airline if you judge it by the parameters they've set up to keep their bonuses rolling in no matter what happens operationally.

Exactly...

You would think for what you have to pay in fare and fees that you could at least be comfortable on your flight. I sat in the back of an A330 recently. I don't know why fights don't break out. I've never seen a seat so uncomfortable and we keep people jammed in them for 8 hours at a time. Team Tempe has done the same thing with the rest of the fleet, jamming more seats into them than should be allowed. I asked a senior manager once how, in good conscience, they could do this to people...he said no one complains. Go figure.

Driver B)

...while US just smells rotten to the core. The employees may no be the problem, but they should be the front line solution.
As far as choices, some places really have no choice. Its US, Delta, or your car!
Ah, yes the 'airline of choice'* (*last resort). Managements metrics do not take into account 'why' customers choose to fly a particular airline, just that they do.
Ergo, when confronted with viewpoints that espouse enhanced customer service, they give that 'deer in the headlights' look and state that only the fares, on-time performance, and baggage handling stats matter.
Agreed that those metrics are great places to start, but that is like saying a '72 Pinto is just as good as a brand-new BMW. Both get you there, and the Pinto is probably cheaper, but that's about it.
Management says that all people base their travel purchasing decisions on the Pinto, then complain that it isn't the BMW when they show up to go...so....they give them the Pinto.
So, if you are an employee on the 'front lines' and your management gives you a '72 Pinto to do your job with...how in the bloody hell do you fulfill your customer's expectations of a BMW?
All employees want to do is do a good job. When management tells them 'good job', the public cusses them out. If you try to bring the level of service up to a normal level, management tells you that what you are doing is wrong.....
No wonder this forum has so much actiivity.
Sheesh.
Cheers.

Yep, it isn't any wonder why the Usairways board is so busy. Note though that over time it's more employees? You don't see as many customers posting here as in the past. Hmmmm now why would that be? This management team is out of their minds and has no idea how to please people. They are here to "condition" the customer. This management team is here to "train" you to learn their way of thinking, which in their mind is BRILLIANT. They have taken the "human element" out of this job and force upon the customer and employee their way of doing business. They basically told the high end customer to hit the road a few years back. Guess what, THEY DID and in droves. Now you see this "spruce up" of service in Envoy and a few simple items like a GLASS on domestic meal flights. A GLASS PEOPLE! ! ! Until we are swallowed by a larger carrier or turn the lights off this will continue. ENJOY!

Reactions: 2 people
. I sat in the back of an A330 recently. I don't know why fights don't break out. I've never seen a seat so uncomfortable and we keep people jammed in them for 8 hours at a time.
Driver B)

Made me think of a chat I had with an elite pax who had come back from FRA; he suggested US call its coach TATL service "DVT Class". He also said his future Germany trips would be on LH metal.

Latest posts