Us Airways Workers Call In Sick

Reservation Agent said:
I heard the baggage handlers ih Philadelphia...fed up ....with the back breaking work at low pay....walked out...lots of flts affected last nite...Any more information on this?
[post="191700"][/post]​

RIGHT!
It's ALWAYS Philly.
This is crap...we didn't have any fewer rampers than we usually do on a Saturday.
We are ALWAYS short handed!

I think with the stress financialy, the overworked conditions, as well as a lack of flu vaccine, there will be an increase in sick calls....

Can't blame you if you catch the FLU BUG, :rolleyes: Like Barnes said in Platoon, "We all got to die sometime RED"

Personally, I do not believe in using sick days unless one is actually sick. However, a few years ago, I left a job with 72 sick days in the bank after working there for 7 years. When I left, I did not even get as much as a thank you for not using the sick days. This changed the way I view sick time. How many days did I go into work with a sloppy cold or a headache because I am a company loyalist. I think that is the point. I was loyal to my company becuase I was treated like gold. What a great group of people, and what great working conditions. It was a fantastic place to work.

Now look at US Airways. What a contrast! In my opinion, management treats labor like dirt. ZERO respect. As far as I am concerned, no respect given, no respect earned, no respect returned. If I worked for US Airways, I would certainly be burning my sick days to a zero balance. But more importantly, I would be job hunting like there is no tomorrow! Your skills are most certainly transferrable!

As I have said recently on this board, my wife resigned from US Airways on Friday after 16 years with the company. Other than vacations, this is the first Sunday that she is home with our family. Ahhhh....a nice big family breakfast, watch the Eagles vs. Panthers football game together, then we are taking the kids out for a movie and dinner. You would not believe the difference in her attitude. Even the expression on her face is different. It seems as if a big wieght has been lifted from her shoulders.
Best wishes to all at US Airways. Good Luck. :up:

genejockey said:
As I have said recently on this board, my wife resigned from US Airways on Friday after 16 years with the company. Other than vacations, this is the first Sunday that she is home with our family. Ahhhh....a nice big family breakfast, watch the Eagles vs. Panthers football game together, then we are taking the kids out for a movie and dinner. You would not believe the difference in her attitude. Even the expression on her face is different. It seems as if a big wieght has been lifted from her shoulders.
Best wishes to all at US Airways. Good Luck. :up:
[post="191976"][/post]​
A huge weight has been lifted from her shouldrrs! Thank you for supporting her decision. Family life is important and this business is not particularly good on family life.
Congrat to your wife...

PITbull said:
MMW,

It will...promise.
[post="191814"][/post]​
Sorry Pitbull, You lost me on that one. NO cooperation until I see a 21% cut from management....period. All of you can talk all you want. I have given too many chances. You think I thought you were a hard liner. Well, I am pissed off and I will use and abuse the contract until I see 21% for all, plain and simple. Everyone can lecture all they want. I DO NOT CARE!! 21% for ALL employees!!

firstamendment said:
... Well, I am pissed off and I will use and abuse the contract until I see 21% for all, plain and simple. Everyone can lecture all they want. I DO NOT CARE!! 21% for ALL employees!!
[post="192178"][/post]​

FA...

You're a bright, articulate, and well educated guy. Great flight attendant, too. But really, at this point, why waste your talent here? For this pay? Under these working conditions? With this level of labor anger and hostility?

You deserve better than UAIR. Really.

BT

BT,

That the way I feel about all of us.

You know that conditions, wages, contract will not improve for a very, very long time. Years perhaps. Its just not worth staying.

Its a shame, but it is exactly what managment wants...us to leave, so they can start hiring off the street.

They want an entirely newly hired workforce and do not respect "experienced " employees and what they do offer to the service industry.

Just as the CWA agents testified on the stand, their experience allows them to find ways to reroute passengers when their are cancellations, or when they are trying to get form point A to point D in this best way avoiding certain airports to get there. They make accomodations for the customer to make their flying experience smooth. The rookies just haven't leaned these things yet, and it isn't taught in a training book. It keeps the customer happy and returning to U.

I am amazed at this managment mentality basically will not budge their from thier thinking.

The "domino effect" will again commence, as the other legacies carriers move in the direction of USAirways.

As the testimony said, U f/as are the lowest paid of any Leagacy carrier, and now with this 21%, we are 22% below the average LCC. Even America West is off our radar, and SouthWest blew us in the dust last year in wages.

Now we prepare our selves for that vote, that is where we make our statment. If we individually are going out the door because the job is not sustaining, the vote is no, and then we move on, OR fight if there is a move for an 1113 abrogation.

Depends on what you want to do, and how you want to handle this situation that smacked you down and left you for dead.

I'm just angry right now. Just let me feel it and I will be alright. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. I'm going to take a break from the boards. I need to get away from the emotion. Take care, all. :)

PITbull said:
Our flight attendants WILL NOT CALL IN SICK.

I had to talk 2 f/as in the middle of their trip who wanted to resign right then and there.

We need to stick together and try with all our mights to impress upong the company that thye are detroying all of labor and buring them out.

We can't afford to lose not even one customer. The more the booking fall, THE GREATER COST SAVINGS THE COMPANY WANTS FROM LABOR.

We need to all hang close together and pressure managment for reasonablilty; OR ALL WILL FAIL.

Labor just cannot shoulder the increases in fuel and all the losses of revenue.

Just can't do it.

Managment has to come to some understanding that LABOR can be their greatest asset.
[post="191795"][/post]​

Anyone who flies US regularly knows that the frontline people are the BEST in the industry. Management just can't figure that out. Or, they have figured it out and realize how they gouged their fliers over the past decade plus and they are now in a bad position because they never rationalized fares prior to LCC entering markets like PHL. From a customer's persepctive, Pre-WN in PHL, I paid over $2300 for a last minute ticket to SFO or LAX out of PHL. Now, it is just a few hundred with a FC ticket costing less than $1,000. I still pay almost $700 for a ticket to PIT from PHL. The industry has changed and US has dragged their feet for too long.

You are right that you cannot afford to lose one customer. If that starts to happen, it will not be pretty for anyone--the employees or the airline as a whole. The Judge obviously understands the desperate situation the airline is in (regardless of whose fault it is) and will probably grant the necessary relief should problems start to arise. He's already said that they have a "ticking fiscal time bomb".

I wish you all the best. I don't know if any of you saw the article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today, but I thought it had a not so nice underlying message. It talked about not being able to go to Starbucks anymore because of the paycuts. IMO, it certainly didn't show what is really going on at US with these paycuts. It's terrible, people seem to ignore the fact US management has been taking bonuses even though the airline was losing money and failed to generate a team attitude by not initiating paycuts within management and then seeking additional paycuts from the unions.

USAirways will NEVER get additional financing if there is no agreements with their labor unions!!!!! It does'nt matter what the judge rules. This incompetent management just does'nt understand. :down:

crushed said:
RIGHT!
It's ALWAYS Philly.
This is crap...we didn't have any fewer rampers than we usually do on a Saturday.
We are ALWAYS short handed!
[post="191942"][/post]​

Tonight (Sunday) Right in Land Weather in the computer it stated:

PHL.. DEPATURE AND ARRIVAL DELAYS DUE TO PERSONNEL SHORTAGE

US1YFARE said:
Anyone who flies US regularly knows that the frontline people are the BEST in the industry.
[post="192198"][/post]​

Use to be ...... you watch :angry: