Calling In Sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Seems people that have been calling in sick for more than a five day hit are getting calls from a firm hired by U to make sure they get back to work like real fast or have a doctor's excuse on said person's desk pronto the next day or you they are fired.

Fired being the word heard by the people receiving these calls.

Funny, I never heard a word from our union on this latest assault from management.

The nerve of them, expecting us to come to work everyday knowing we must burn our sick time before it's over.

This is commonplace in American business today. In addition to the obvious reasons, the concerns exists for mental illness (especially depression), possible workplace violence and decreased efficiency when on the job.

AtlanticBeach said:
This is commonplace in American business today. In addition to the obvious reasons, the concerns exists for mental illness (especially depression), possible workplace violence and decreased efficiency when on the job.
The mental illness issue does make sense. At work people are at each other throats and just about coming to blows at times.

The stress levels are rising right along with the uncertainly we all live with working at U.

Some people vent on here while others are filled with anger and still others self-destruct.

Like some posters comment: It's only a job.

If they are calling the Mechanic and Related people at home then those employees are to be paid 4 hours pay at time and a half per the contract for each call they receive.

I have not heard of that being done but the IAM Mechanic and Related have a arbitration case one against the company in regards to the attendance control policy, they cannot call you back and ask for a note, if you are out three days or more you are suppose to provide one or they can ask you for one when in doubt of a bonafide sick call upon your return to work.

And the Arbiter who gave the win to the IAM was Richard Bloch, the very same arbiter who heard the airbus case.

pitguy said:
If they are calling the Mechanic and Related people at home then those employees are to be paid 4 hours pay at time and a half per the contract for each call they receive.
And the company has financial problems because
of "union contract clauses" such as this. Thanks for
sharing the absolute absurdity of the contract
language that has put US Airways in their current
position.

You have no clue, they can ask for a Dr's note upon your return to work or at the time of the call.

If the company followed procedures it would cost them nothing.

So try again.

SpinDoc said:
And the company has financial problems because
of "union contract clauses" such as this. Thanks for
sharing the absolute absurdity of the contract
language that has put US Airways in their current
position.
If it really is that absurd, why did the company agree to it in the first place? They sign the contracts as well as the unions. Many of the problems that UAIR is having right now is because of the selective application of the contract language.

I thought they had to ask when you called in or they could not ask at all. After you return to work you are already better and what would be the sense of involving the doctor.

--SpinDoc- You would not believe the amount of ways they waste money and harass honest hard working employees. So do not even try to tell me because either you don't know or you have poor judgement. (Voting 'no' for guys like you. See you on the other side.)

**Watch who you push 'cause they may push you back.

The employees and the Union recognize their obligation of being truthful and honest in preventing unnnecessary absences or other abuse of sick leave privileges. Employees may be required to present confirmation of illness and the company reserves the right to require, when in doubt of a bona fide claim a physician's certificate to confirm such sick claim.

They can request it at the time of the call or return to work.

pitguy said:
I thought they had to ask when you called in or they could not ask at all. After you return to work you are already better and what would be the sense of involving the doctor.

--SpinDoc- You would not believe the amount of ways they waste money and harass honest hard working employees. So do not even try to tell me because either you don't know or you have poor judgement. (Voting 'no' for guys like you. See you on the other side.)
PITGuy:

I honestly understand your point. I am in the
US Airways Alumni Club, but when I worked for
US Airways in PIT 6 years ago as a supervisor, I
was not allowed to question the use of sick time.
I saw a lot of abuse because of that, and it comes
down to personal morals. If the employee has no
personal morals, he/she is more likely to call in
sick when they are not sick which creates a drain on
resources. If the supervisor can't find someone to
cover the "sick" employee, then the other employees
who actually give a crap and show up everyday
end up paying for it by working harder. The people
who should "police" sick time are co-workers,
because they are affected first, and the company
loses out on the lost productivity. I headed off a lot
of the productivity drain by encouraging my
employees to tell me if they were going to "call in
sick" at least a day ahead of time so that I could
post overtime to cover their absence. It was not
company policy, but I was never called on it and
it created a much less stressful environment for
all involved.

Spin,

I have no problem when the bad ones are messed with, but this place messes with every one. I go in every day and do my honest best that I can do and I am tired of all the B.S. The amount of people they let off on vacation is a joke. They just keep on screwing with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts