Calling In Sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing the absolute absurdity of the contract
language that has put US Airways in their current position.

Ah, excuse me, but wasn't it management that agreed to these contracts? Also, management is the reason U is in the shape it's in!!! Don't blame the unions for that!!! :rolleyes:

Ah, excuse me, but wasn't it management that agreed to these contracts? Also, management is the reason U is in the shape it's in!!! Don't blame the unions for that!

Oh God....So management is wrong when its agreeing to lucrative contracts AND wrong when changes are needed! There you have it. Management is wrong and at fault for everything no matter what.

Glad thats resolved. Why did these people bothering putting together the lovely forum?

openview said:
Why did these people bothering putting together the lovely forum?
Because it's the last place to vent given the fact employees are feeling like their chest is in a vice and no one can hear them screaming.

Your screen name is deceptive, just like management's true colors. There is nothing open minded in your posts, it’s all labors doing and employees must realize this and just give until we are dead. Openview, there is nothing open about your view.

Jet blue is benefiting nicely by receiving very talented mechanics from U almost daily because of this kind of attitude by management. Mechanics are quitting that have up to 20 years seniority compliments of U. This is a vicious cycle, a death spiral, because as they squeeze out the lowest common denominator the result will be the lowest possible talent as good employees leave both in labor and management. This fact will surely help U along the road to oblivion. The last mechanic I know, a inspector with many years no less, told me: When Dave Siegel made the comment to get another job while you’re working, he decided now was the time. Thanks Dave, you sure were worth the millions you raped off the backs of U employees, you and Neil that is.

"Your screen name is deceptive, just like management's true colors. There is nothing open minded in your posts, it’s all labors doing and employees must realize this and just give until we are dead. Openview, there is nothing open about your view."

And how is this different from those that come on here and say only, "The Concession Stand is Closed" or "Full pay until the last day?"

ITRADE said:
"Your screen name is deceptive, just like management's true colors. There is nothing open minded in your posts, it’s all labors doing and employees must realize this and just give until we are dead. Openview, there is nothing open about your view."

And how is this different from those that come on here and say only, "The Concession Stand is Closed" or "Full pay until the last day?"
Will shall all see what happens is all I'll say to this comment, lots of talk, lots of bark, now lets see the teeth.

It's true though. U is indeed losing talent daily both in labor and management, and Dave sure in the hell didn't help that fact with his comment and his actions!

This is a vicious cycle, a death spiral, because as they squeeze out the lowest common denominator the result will be the lowest possible talent as good employees leave both in labor and management.

Untrue. I have a complete open view: neither pro union or pro mgmt. I have been in both. I certainly think large groups of employee should be unionized, otherwise companies, including USAir, can and will take advantage of people. I have said on here unions could rule companies and make a fortune if only they held firmly to a handful of perks & pay demands. AFA contract has been at about a 100 pages for the last ten years. But you can't be all things to all people. You can't have all perks, all benefits, all freedoms, top pay and no accountibility.

Your comment epitomizes the worst of union structure and your too jaded to see it. In difficult and concessionary times, as these clearly are, a union will protect and keep the top half of an employee group instead of 2/3 of its best employees. It will resist changing any contract language instead of weighting the language towards benefiting the best workers.

That is different from management structure.

openview said:
Oh God....So management is wrong when its agreeing to lucrative contracts AND wrong when changes are needed! There you have it. Management is wrong and at fault for everything no matter what.

Glad thats resolved. Why did these people bothering putting together the lovely forum?
We have given back wages, benefits and workrules since 1992 with this company.

So for the past 12 years that you have given back wages, benefits and workrules as you say, you have also been paying monthly union dues. And you don't feel there is something systematically wrong that needs changing. You feel the company and company only is at fault and taking advantage of you. How much are your dues?

We took concessions and paycuts in 1992, and have given the company concessions in work rules and benefits in each contract since.

And if you knew anything about this company, go ask any Ramp agent or customer service agent what happened to them in 1992 being non-union then.

700UW said:
True and that's all that really needs to be said, that statement speaks loudly without any clarification needed.

So much for unions resisting changing and throwing up roadblocks.

One can only be kicked in the groin so many times until they realize the pain just gets worse.

Openview, I too have been on both sides of the fence, union and non-union and I can't see for the life of me where the unions are at fault here, I again refer back to 700's statement, it says it all.

We took concessions and paycuts in 1992, and have given the company concessions in work rules and benefits in each contract since.

And if you knew anything about this company, go ask any Ramp agent or customer service agent what happened to them in 1992 being non-union then.

My brother works on the ramp; I know exactly what the Co. did to them. Like my earlier comment stated that groups should be unionized for that reason.

But my point is, you've pay'd monthly dues for 12 straight years while losing ground so to speak, for 12 straight years. Yet your staunchly supportive, wholeheartedly of the union and unwaveringly convinced it's all managements fault?

That is cult like belief and commitment. More power to you. I hope your right & I'm missing something.

Dues went up when we got raises, and they went down when we took concessions.

Yes it is management's fault, read the following:

Assign the Blame Where it Belongs

As we face a difficult time at US Airways due to their financial condition, all I hear is take from this classification not from me. We as union members need to use this situation as a time to unify and not throw stones at each other saying, “This person makes too much, take from them not me!†or “That group should not be with us or do that particular job!†The members out there saying this are falling right into the company’s tactics of divide and conquer. We attack each other instead of remaining focused and assign the blame where it belongs. It belongs on over 10 years of mismanagement of this company.

As far back as Ed Colodny mistakes have been made that has probably cost this company millions if not billons if you add all the blunders.

Colodny’s Blunders:

· Mirror Image, imposing US Air’s business methods upon Piedmont and PSA, instead of looking at each respective airline and adapting their successful practices. Some examples would be dismantling of the Piedmont Shuttle which accounted for 32% of Piedmont’s Gross Revenue.

· Not furthering International Service and canceling the last three 767s on order from Boeing, then realizing how much money was made serving international destinations and paying Boeing a $30 million penalty to reorder the three planes.

Schofield’s Blunders:

· Business select, $50 million on wasted seats that never worked properly and we eventually removed from the 737-200 fleet. Operation Highground.

· The IAM Mechanic and Related Strike of 1992 in which US Air lost $35 million and agreeing to pay all the pilots during our strike regardless if they flew or not.

· The hiring of Joe Gorman from United Airlines. Gorman stayed a few months then went right back to United, then United started taking us on head to head in numerous markets where we did not compete before Gorman’s tenure.

· The alliance with British Airways to infuse quick cash, but not on favorable terms to US Air, BA got more out of the alliance then we did.

Wolf and Gangwal:

· Canceling all the Boeing orders and having to pay a substantial penalty to Boeing to this day the dollar amount is not known as it was a confidential out of court settlement after Boeing sued US Airways, but it is believed to be hundreds of millions of dollars.

· Closing of three maintenance bases and trying to accomplish all the work in just three bases, which caused a backlog of airplanes awaiting “Q†and “C†checks and Mod visits. At one point you could see numerous airplanes parked in Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Tampa awaiting maintenance.

· Buying back over $1.5 billon of US Airways stock instead of using the money as operating capital or paying down debt or just having it around for a downturn.

· Selling the company to United Airlines and then for the next 14 months having no direction and running the company into the ground.

· Overreacting to the September 11th tragedy and shrinking the airline by 23% and increasing costs by putting larger airplanes on shorter routes.

Many mistakes have been made by so called corporate executives in this company and the majority of executives who made this horrible business decisions are still here. So now the hard working employees who have kept US Airways going and you can look at the Department of Transportation statistics that have us in the top tier of performance are going to be faced with major decision on concessions to try and keep this company a viable operation. Now is the time to not listen or spread rumors, use sound judgments when the FACTS are explained to you and stop pointing fingers at other workers who are out here just trying to survive and support themselves and/or their families. Many employees are writing executives saying get rid of this classification or that classification, just don’t touch what I have. I do believe a union is supposed to be about what is best for all, not one. All showing the company that we are a group that would eat our young to save ourselves accomplishes nothing positive for our membership.

mweiss said:
What's frightening is your suggestion that an understanding of the mechanics of commerce is justification for genocide.
MWeiss, Do you actually WORK for U or are just grandstanding......?????The UNION base is standard when you hire on with a company that is UNION. Why question who has your BACK(sometimes)...Sick policy....at THIS co., use it or lose it!!!! I havn't seen my name pulled from the "SUV" lottery as other airlines do. Wise up dude,(I think) reality check.......GO CAV

REGARDS......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts