US/Delta Slot and Facility Swap at LGA

A EWR CO hub and a large US LGA operation might not fly with the DOT?

But a IAD UA hub and a large US DCA operation will? The last time UA & US seriously attempted a merger it was the IAD/DCA concentration that was objected to (and the Shuttle was offered up voluntarily when that merger was proposed).

Jim

But a IAD UA hub and a large US DCA operation will? The last time UA & US seriously attempted a merger it was the IAD/DCA concentration that was objected to (and the Shuttle was offered up voluntarily when that merger was proposed).

No, but it makes the US DCA operation more valuable. If UA-US attempt to merge again, I have no doubt AA would make a serious play to buy US's DCA operation.

No, but it makes the US DCA operation more valuable. If UA-US attempt to merge again, I have no doubt AA would make a serious play to buy US's DCA operation.

True - DCA becomes more valuable and LGA becomes less valuable (part of the "package" proposed last time was for AA to purchase the Shuttle and the DOT still wanted more DCA slots divested). I doubt that the DOT would require divesting all of the DCA operation - they didn't last time - but just a certain number of the slots (undoubtedly more than last time since US will have more, plus CO's if the CO/UA/US merger were to be proposed).

Of course, we don't yet know if the DOT will have any problems with this deal or not...

Jim

CO joins Star in October ...... this could be positioning for future merger between UA/CO/US. A EWR CO hub and a large US LGA operation might not fly with the DOT? I just hope something good happen to this industry, this use to be a good career.

If a CO megahub at EWR and US's relatively large operation ( heavy on the RJ's ) wouldnt fly with the DOT & DOJ , what makes you think a 200 flight a day DL operation at LGA and it's JFK operation, which is clearly the biggest at that airport be ok?

(Anyone know how many flights DL has at JFK now?)

Good points ..... may be the shuffle has just begun? More to come.

This is only a question ... Do you think DOT/DOJ are starting to view the industry more as Star and Oneworld than DL-AA-UA-CO-US?

I always agree with this poster... But I really think that that's all AMR is interested in really. US's NE operations without aircraft or employees: just slots and gates at DCA and BOS and to a smaller extent now, LGA.

I don’t know? the Delta spin sounds pretty good

Delta Air Lines, the world's largest carrier, will create a hub for domestic flights at New York's LaGuardia Airport to boost departures by 85 per cent, U.S. Airways will cut LaGuardia flights by more than half, New York is the biggest U.S. aviation market, and no airline dominates all three airports

It all reminds me of the board game Risk....

As far as merging, I don't see how any of this indicates a merger in the works. It's just carriers positioning to repel low cost competition, and drive fares up to levels that are positive. It US can do that in DCA and Delta can do that in the New York market, then for now it is better to work together by not competing with each other....that can come again when the economy makes such ego-driven conquests more fruitful.

I'm thinking a merger is in the works with a carrier that has big NYC presence and DOJ/DOT would not approve that merger unless some of the assets are disposed of....remember the failed US/UA merger how DCA air was gonna take over DCA flying so there would be no monopoly in Washington area? well I think this LGA-DCA swapp with Delta is just the first step with a merger in the works.
This rules out a merger with UA in my oppinion because of DCA/IAD but sure opens door for merger with AA or even B6....my take on the DL-US deal

I'm thinking a merger is in the works with a carrier that has big NYC presence and DOJ/DOT would not approve that merger unless some of the assets are disposed of....remember the failed US/UA merger how DCA air was gonna take over DCA flying so there would be no monopoly in Washington area? well I think this LGA-DCA swapp with Delta is just the first step with a merger in the works.
This rules out a merger with UA in my oppinion because of DCA/IAD but sure opens door for merger with AA or even B6....my take on the DL-US deal

or CAL/LCC...We could only wish!

Ok...let's look at it a different way. Who is most likely to save US from liquidation if that day ever comes? Politicians. Politicians wouldn't like seeing the airline serving their home market non-stop to DCA go away.

Latest posts