US/Delta Slot and Facility Swap at LGA

Airtran is getting more DCA slots, and it's entirely likely that LUV will come into DCA with the F9 deal. Now, that becomes interesting--F9 has the goldmine "beyond perimeter" slots. And a gate. That won't help LUV _inside_ the perimeter without finding more slots.

F9 has 3 "beyond perimeter" slots but they do not hav a gate or ticket counter space. They are leased by USAirways. WN might wind up selling the DCA slots to either UA or US since they don't ever fly to a city with only 3 flights. And they have no way to expand flights to DCA.

Does PHX really have a strong enough O&D market to support NRT?

I realize that they will also rely on connections, but given that there are so many other options from the East or MidWest to get to NRT, PHX would be the last place on my list to make a connection to NRT.

The AboutUS letter says that Tokyo will be flown with Airbus 330-200 aircraft from the PHX hub.

They may throw a bone to PHX but this ain't it. If you are talking about a non-stop to
Tokyo from PHX I smell big money looser. If stopping in PHL they will need vastly more crews to crew ac if a 330 originates in PHX, same creew cannot continue to Tokyo. I guess that will work if there are lots of PHX-PHL commuters and there may well be by then.....OR NOT!!!

So I guess DL has forgiven US for that failed hostile acquisition then.
It seems that a great deal for all. US would have had to wait at least 3 years to get into GRU and NRT would probably not have happened. DL has plenty of NRT routes so it's a no-brainer to give one away.
US was losing lots and lots of money in LGA so this saves them money.
US gets to dominate DCA and will have more than 50% of the flights.
DL will dominate LGA and will have almost 50% of the LGA flights.
DCA has very high yields. DL has lower costs than US so they are better able to fight FL & WN in LGA. US is very strong in DCA and now gets even stronger.

I think that US should go even further by offering up 1 or 2 ATL gates to DL in exchange for a LHR slot.

Also they could go to SWA and offer a trade. SWA gets gates and a few landing slots at LGA, and 2 LAX gates in terminal 1. In exchange US gets 10-12 PHL gates. US could even throw in some BOS gates to sweeten the pot.
Hopefully Doug Parker & Gary Kelly are listening

Meetings all morning in LGA. Isom presided. In a nutshell,

All shuttle to Marine Air Terminal, We ultimately get 3 gates in DL's current terminal. 2 gates for mainline, one for express (the old NWA operation). Rest of D will be DL. Almost all express flying will be gone.

It will be considered "2 operations" at one terminal. where agents, rampers, etc, will bid seperately. All flights will be originators, ie. no connectors...

for now, 3 additional gates to DCA. Extra buses to accomodate until "they figure out a better way".

Scheduled to start Feb-Mar 10 in 2 phases. 2nd phase "should" be finished by this time next year.

I'm not understanding how 3 gates in Terminal D is going to work.

They are advertising 72 peak departures from LGA after all of this. 31 flights are Shuttle, which leaves 41 departures from the new Terminal D location.

Seems that operating 41 departures from 3 gates is a bit tight, no?

Airtran is getting more DCA slots, and it's entirely likely that LUV will come into DCA with the F9 deal. Now, that becomes interesting--F9 has the goldmine "beyond perimeter" slots. And a gate. That won't help LUV _inside_ the perimeter without finding more slots.

I don't believe those beyond perimeter slots are transferrable in an asset sale. Remember AA had to surrender the DCA-LAX when they bought TWA. Before anyone goes there, legally speaking HP bought US, so that's why the DCA-PHX and DCA-LAS did not have to be surrendered as HP was the owner of those slots and the aquiring company.

Does anyone have the list of the LGA express routes and who operates them (Piedmont/Air Wisconsin, Colgan, etc.)?

It's great to see US announcing NRT but I would caution everyone about getting overly excited about it. 2012 is a LONG time away and many things can change between now and then.

F9 has 3 "beyond perimeter" slots but they do not hav a gate or ticket counter space. They are leased by USAirways. WN might wind up selling the DCA slots to either UA or US since they don't ever fly to a city with only 3 flights. And they have no way to expand flights to DCA.

If WN is allowed to keep these slots (and that is a big IF), they can not be sold. These are Air 21 slots, not traditional ones that can be swapped between carriers.

I think that US should go even further by offering up 1 or 2 ATL gates to DL in exchange for a LHR slot.

DL doesn't exactly have a large portfolio of LHR slots as it stands now, so I doubt they'd be willing to sell one. UA (or some European carrier) would probably be the one to talk to about that.

It somewhat disappointing not to see more business markets being added from DCA. I understand not wanting to fly to IAH or CLE because of CO/*A, but it would've been nice to see service to MSP or STL for example.

Does anyone have the list of the LGA express routes and who operates them (Piedmont/Air Wisconsin, Colgan, etc.)?

ALB - Piedmont
BWI - Piedmont / Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
BGR - Piedmont / Air Wisconsin
BUF - Piedmont / PSA / Air Wisconsin
BTV - Piedmont
CHS - Air Wisconsin
CLT - Republic / PSA / Air Wisconsin
CHO - Colgan
CHS - Republic / Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
DAY - PSA
GSO - Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
HYA - Colgan
IND - Republic / Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
ITH - Piedmont
SDF - Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
MHT - Colgan
MVY - Colgan
ACK - Colgan
ORF - Piedmont / Air Wisconsin
PHL - Piedmont / Republic / Air Wisconsin
PIT - Republic / Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
PWM - Piedmont / Air Wisconsin
PVD - Piedmont
RDU - Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
RIC - Piedmont / Republic / Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin
ROA - Piedmont
ROC - Piedmont / Chautauqua
SAV - Republic
SYR - Piedmont
ILM - Chautauqua / Air Wisconsin

I think Little Rock, Birmingham, Ithica and Islip are really solid additions to DCA...theose should be high-yeild routes that will never see competition.

I think Little Rock, Birmingham, Ithica and Islip are really solid additions to DCA...theose should be high-yeild routes that will never see competition.

ISP is actually a resumption of service. I believe ISP-DCA was discontinued about 10 years ago.

I think the 330-200 would have on hell of a time doing a PHX-NRT run in the winter, and since LCC has already stated the route won't begin until 2012, or possibly later, i would guess that they'll wait until the A350 is on property to run the route.

If the DOJ approves the first part, it shouldn't be that difficult to obtain 7 of the 2010 frequencies, as AA would likely be the only other airline interested in any of them. NK has said they are not interested and DL has far too many seasonally dormant frequencies to make a sound case for being awarded any more.
American, Delta and Continental will be trying for additional slots. All are looking to add service to Northern and Central Brazilian cities

Back