US/Delta Slot and Facility Swap at LGA

Guys spin this anyway you like, but it's not a positive event for US Airways. We are "still" in retreat.

Senators Propose To Ease Limits On Nonstop Service From National - Jun 12 , 2009

Senators John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) introduced legislation June 8 to again loosen Washington National's federally imposed perimeter restrictions, which limit most nonstop services to markets within 1,250 miles of the airport, and said they hope to attach it to the FAA reauthorization bill.

Under their proposal, airlines using National slots as of Jan. 1, 2009, for service to a large-hub airport would be able to use the slot for service to any airport; that limited exception is designed to protect service to smaller communities. Boxer lamented the lack of nonstop service to the West Coast, which now consists of Alaska's Los Angeles service under one of the earlier exemptions. Ensign said travelers "have clearly demonstrated a need for additional flights to the West, including Las Vegas."

U.S. Senate Amendment

SECTION 1. EXTENDING THE LENGTH OF FLIGHTS FROM RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL AIRPORT.

Section 41718 of title 49, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(g) Use of Airport Slots for Beyond Perimeter Flights- Notwithstanding section 49109 or any other provision of law, any air carrier that holds or operates air carrier slots at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport as of January 1, 2009, pursuant to subparts K and S of part 93 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations, which are being used as of that date for scheduled service between that airport and a large hub airport (as defined in section 40102(a)(29)), may use such slots for service between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and any airport located outside of the perimeter restriction described in section 49109.'.

Somebody should tell Ensign that not only does LAS have service from DCA today, but that the airline tends to make it come and go in the schedule. :rolleyes:

The national perimeter is not going anywhere. And if it did (in the example above), airlines would have to burn service to their inside-perimeter hubs to make it happen.

Somebody should tell Ensign that not only does LAS have service from DCA today, but that the airline tends to make it come and go in the schedule. :rolleyes:

The national perimeter is not going anywhere. And if it did (in the example above), airlines would have to burn service to their inside-perimeter hubs to make it happen.

DCA-LAS = party flight!!! Can we do dollar bags?? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Guys spin this anyway you like, but it's not a positive event for US Airways. We are "still" in retreat.

Good agree with you on that one. US hands the keys to it's shiny facility in NYC to Delta along with 125 slots, and in return get the old NW ( very cramped ) gates and a few slots in DC ,Tokyo (which will never be used) and Sao Paolo? Sounds like DL wins and US rolls over (in my opinion) .. I am saddened to see this.

Just a thought, You will see DL really begin pushing the Port in NY for the relaxing of the perimeter rule...

How nice for DP to say that the NRT slot will be utilized out of PHX, what with all of their business traffic. :ph34r:

If anything, it's a PHL- NRT. No?

A few thoughts If I may.

US Dominating DCA even More is a Good thing, and they WILL get the OK to fly outside the "perimeter"

If US is losing $$, in LGA, then it makes good sense to RUN towards their Strenght. DL will get ATTACKED real GOOD from WN, B6 and Air Tran in LGA !! In my opinion, WN is no longer the Big Enemy to US as I once was. DELTA is US's Biggest Enemy.

CLT to Brazil with the A-330 is Good,..BUT they need to fly PHL to Brazil also

To NRT ???? From PHL ONLY. DP HAS to come up with an A/C that can make the trip, and in my opinion, does NOT have to buy a whole fleet of A-350's to make it happen. Air Bi likes US, and could loan them 3/4 A-340's until the 350's are ready. I do NOT see US flying any further than NRT EVER(similiar to what DL did for many years).

Thoughts plz.

US should have gotten more like money off of the deal and they should have gotten the India route that DL is soon to relinquish (BOM-ATL). US should have also gotten the whole 10 gate Delta terminal in exchange for the big under utilized US terminal.

I see this kind of consolidation as the wave of the future in the airline business.
CO will try to get more EWR gates and landing slots, US will try to get more int'l and PHL gates
B6 will keep trying to get into DCA liked they've tried for the last 6 years.

I also think that this deal makes it harder for a US/UA merger but a lot easier for a US/B6, US/CO or US/AA merger. A US/B6 deal gives B6 their coveted DCA slots they've always wanted, They have JFK to dominate with DL, They have LGB to dominate also.
More consolidation.... stay tuned.

Why is everyone out to bash the PHX base? ALL of YOU, should be HAPPY to have an WEST PRESENSE!!!
There is a lot of potential, that obviously is not being tapped out here. WN has pulled a lot of PHX flying in the last 2years. I think Tokyo would bring revenue into all lot of West Coast markets, and keep congestion out of LAX. If we continue to stay US Airways, expect more additions to the PHX market, maybe additions out of LAS.
I think they are making good decisons on expanding, versus retreating out West. The Carribian addition this DEC shows promise.
I also know of LOTS Of Employees out West want this to work for all of US, especially commuters that want a chance to eventually be PHX or LAS based, and finally COME HOME!!! :up:
Maybe International in PHX will be very profitable for US in the long run . BA flys out of here, and still makes money. Without a strong presense in the West, US Airways stand alone doesn't have a future. JMHO :ph34r: :)

People on this thread are taking this way too personal. Doug has a job to do. His job right now is to stop the company from bleeding out $$$. As much as I love the US Airways LGA terminal, if by letting it go it will save US $75mil then hes doing the right thing. I dont think it was the right decision to split the operation because you never know what the future holds. We should of left MAT to Delta and taken over the 10 gate terminal at Terminal D. I do believe Doug could have gotten more out of Delta just because they seem desperate. He needed a NYer to do the haggling(lol). He always wanted to fly to Japan from PHX lets hope he follows through and it works out and he brings more international flying to PHX. Noone can predict the future so lets hope for the best. We all need to pay bills and noone wants the company hurt. Lets just pray this was the right decision. Only the future will tell. Be Happy for now:up:

I have to agree with those who say this is bad for US. It is obviously a move by Dumb and Dumber who can't look above the latest spreadsheet.

The deal looks good on paper, but in actual practice, I think it's a serious mistake. US was once a dominant player in New York-as they were in PIT. They are just handing market share away. They could have made other schedule adjustments to address cost--for example larger aircraft and fewer frequencies to some destinations, perhaps returning some Express to mainline, where the CASM, although high, is less than on Express...that would have also freed them to get rid of some slots, perhaps for cash.

The surrender of the terminal at LGA, while fiscally responsible, is symbolic of "rolling over" to the competition. My understanding of the article is that while US will operate from DL's current terminal, it won't be exclusively US--DL will maintain a presence in both terminals--which is why they are building a walking bridge between them.

A little imagination and TRUE leadership at the top might have provided a different deal, but based on who's running the show, this is consistent of the customer and employees be damned, slave to the spreadsheet mentality which has been evident since September 27, 2005 at US Airways....

On the other hand, I do agree that this might be a pre emptive move to set up a merger, and I also agree that the potential dance partner may be AA.......but time will tell..

My BEST to you all...

Back