FutureUScapt

Veteran
Dec 1, 2005
No press release yet, but its loaded in the schedules as of 7/7/08

CLT-YUL
800p 1023p US3300* 0 E75

YUL-CLT (Starts 7/8)
800a 1032a US3313* 0 E75

This will mark the third time US will fly the route, though the first time they will use something other than a 50 seat CRJ (which was a dumb move IMO).

SAT and AUS will also see a 3rd flight each, unfortunately it will be another Mesa CR9. Advance bookings must be good so far, so maybe it'll be upgraded to mainline soon. Still can't believe US went all these years without flying there...

Also:
PHL-SFO will see a 5th flight

And for all you PIT folks:

PIT-LAX/SFO will get a 2nd flight, although I'm sure they'll be seasonal

CLT-PWM goes to 2 daily E175s although second flight probably is just for the summer

Great

Another non us air regional carrier picking up some new flying....
Should be mainline first. Then...
If not enough people buy tickets then it should go to PSA or Piedmont.
last resort go to Mesa or Republic, Chautauqua, shuttle....
We are in the business of flying aren't we? or do we just sub it out?

Great

Another non us air regional carrier picking up some new flying....
Should be mainline first. Then...
We are in the business of flying aren't we? or do we just sub it out?

I'm sure someone can post the numbers, but I do think that US flies a smaller part of its operation with its own metal than any other carrier.

I'm sure someone can post the numbers, but I do think that US flies a smaller part of its operation with its own metal than any other carrier.

I was actually pretty sure that wasn't the case...so I decided to check. I only checked this 1 because it was the first one I came across. These are both from the respective carrier's websites.

Delta
1534 mainline flights
2533 connection flights

37.7% mainline

US Airways
1410 mainline flights
2077 express flights

40% mainline

Continental also has a huge amount of express flights and I wouldn't be surprised if they were less than 40%. American Eagle is a gigantic operation, but then again American has a gigantic amount of mainline flights so it might be more than 40%. It also seems that United might have less than 40% mainline....but I haven't checked any of these besides DL and US so don't quote me on them.

Delta
1534 mainline flights
2533 connection flights

37.7% mainline

US Airways
1410 mainline flights
2077 express flights

40% mainline
That's only one measure, and not even one widely used for size. Using either ASM's or RPM's (the widely used measures for size) US has the largest Express operation.

Jim

That's only one measure, and not even one widely used for size. Using either ASM's or RPM's (the widely used measures for size) US has the largest Express operation.

Jim

ASM and RPM measurements would be skewed to a carrier like DL or CO that fly lots of transatlantic flights. ASMs and RPMs would automatically be very high on any aircraft that serves longhaul markets (especially transatlantic) because those things fly for something like 20 hours a day....thus flying more miles and producing higher RPMs and ASMs. So their mainline ASM and RPM figures would be inflated because they are in the air so much, whereas connection/express would be deflated because of how much time they are on the ground (due to short hops/loading-unloading times and the overnight sitting on the tarmac). So the spread for DL and CO (and basically all legacies who have much larger international flying than US) would be greater despite the fact that they have a greater number of express flights relative to mainline.

Think about mainline ASMs and RPMs produced by a US 757 vs. a CO 757. There would be a big difference despite the same amount of planes and crews needed to fly them.

So its whichever way you want to look at it. If you want to go off of ASMs and RPMs, then sure, US may have the most. But I suspect that this is being brought up because of mainline employee angst, in which case they care less about ASMs or RPMs and more about the actual number of mainline flights as a percentage of total flights in the system.

And when was the last time you saw the data? Just wondering because I bet pre-merger that US was the highest proportion of express no matter how you look at it, but when they merged with HP (with a very small portion of connection vs. mainline flights) that the proportion went higher and would thus be higher than DL.

Jim
Jim, You stated US has the largest Express Operation. They were the first too I believe with the Allegheny Commuter. Now my question, wasn't US the last of the majors to get those RJ's under Express? To me it seemed like CO led and I couldn't understand why US/AL didn't respond.

Republics airplanes are all 85 seat. or 84.
They have a ton and keep getting more.
Don't think the company cares much about the CBA.

Republic's E-170's hold 76 (originally 72) and their E-175's hold 86 when not weight restricted.

Cheers

LGA777

Latest posts

Back