US moves to T-3 at LAX

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trb-lax-us-airways-terminal-3-20140211,0,4163271.story#axzz2t82xuJco

Starting Wednesday, US Airways passengers at Los Angeles International Airport will need to go to Terminal 3, not Terminal 1, because the airline is moving its operations. 

"All US Airways ticketing and check-in, aircraft gates, baggage services and customer service will begin operations in Terminal 3 with the airline’s first flights from LAX the morning of Feb. 12," according to an airline statement Tuesday.

For any former PI people still with US at LAX, this will seem like old times.  PI was in T-3 (when it was still its full TW motiff) before the AL mgerger.  Yes, the IATA code was still AL until that day. 

As for the food, Gladstone's 4 Fish (a branch a Malibu seafood restaurant) is good, but over priced.  No food places landside (I don't think any domestic terminal at LAX does).
It will be interesting to see how the bus bridge operation goes (At least, a good chance to do some plane spotting on the way past TBIT).  What is the minimum connecting time between T3 and T4?

IIRC, T-3 seem a bit calmer than T-1, with the lack of WN's crowds.  Are the TSA lines better?

Does the move change the employee parking situation?  For 

Dont call me Shirley said:
As for the food, Gladstone's 4 Fish (a branch a Malibu seafood restaurant) is good, but over priced.  No food places landside (I don't think any domestic terminal at LAX does).
It will be interesting to see how the bus bridge operation goes (At least, a good chance to do some plane spotting on the way past TBIT).  What is the minimum connecting time between T3 and T4?

IIRC, T-3 seem a bit calmer than T-1, with the lack of WN's crowds.  Are the TSA lines better?
La Brea Bakery is a local LA restaurant which bakes its own bread. It's also over-priced, but the bread is very good.

There is now a shuttle which runs every 20 minutes between T3 & T4. My guess is that AA is running one shuttle which makes 3 rotations per hour between the terminals. I would allow at least 40 minutes to transit between terminals, and then tack on another 20 minutes or so to get to your connecting gate before they close out the flight. Of course, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with an hour to make a connection, but I'm somewhat of a neurotic traveler who gets to the gate 5 minutes before the published boarding time.

I haven't flown out of T-3 in years, but I do pass by T-3 every 2-3 weeks, and I have NEVER seen a long security line from the outside -- unlike T-1, where I frequently see the security line snaking back to T-2.

Reactions: 1 person
SS255 said:
La Brea Bakery is a local LA restaurant which bakes its own bread. It's also over-priced, but the bread is very good.

There is now a shuttle which runs every 20 minutes between T3 & T4. My guess is that AA is running one shuttle which makes 3 rotations per hour between the terminals. I would allow at least 40 minutes to transit between terminals, and then tack on another 20 minutes or so to get to your connecting gate before they close out the flight. Of course, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with an hour to make a connection, but I'm somewhat of a neurotic traveler who gets to the gate 5 minutes before the published boarding time.

I haven't flown out of T-3 in years, but I do pass by T-3 every 2-3 weeks, and I have NEVER seen a long security line from the outside -- unlike T-1, where I frequently see the security line snaking back to T-2.

It will be a relief just to get away from the SWA stockyards.

Overpriced food in an air terminal in LA?  Overpriced food in an air terminal anywhere?  I'm shocked!  :lol:

I've reached a point where I don't much care about the air terminal prices anymore.  I just ask that it be edible.  That pizza place in T-4 is a world-class ripoff in both price and quality.  I ordered a breakfast sandwich there.  It had about 1.5 tablespoons of dried out egg product (I hesitate to say that it was scrambled eggs for fear of a perjury charge), 1/2 slice of dried out cheese, and a very small piece of (alleged) sausage.  The price was something like $6, and when I sat down in a chair to put some salt and pepper on it, the "dining room hostess" came over and rudely informed me that chairs were for dining room customers only.

If you have enough time to shuttle over, and you are allowed there, T-4 does have a creditable employee cafeteria down at ramp level.  They make some killer burritos, and being LA you can get a vegetarian burrito if you wish.  (The word, vegetarian, is derived from an ancient Cherokee Indian word meaning bad hunter.)

Having flown VX as often as possible, there are fewer security lines upstairs, and Pre-check is apparently downstairs and let's you in via the arrivals corridor made famous in Airplane! with the subway tile. The line upstairs can wrap around the mezzanine at times, especially in the morning, but it is generally fully staffed with all lanes open. The main issue is only a single TSA agent doing ID checks.

Food is another issue with mostly BK, La Brea Bakery and Starbucks in the rotunda and nothing in the area by gate 30. Lines are constantly long.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the PA system in the fingers isn't that great, so if you are sitting in the general seating area in the middle, you may not hear boarding announcements for gates 31A and 31B.

Latest posts