US routes discussion on anet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is there are non ETOPS routes that I wont fly an a/c with an IDG inop. You can go over a lot of water to island destinations and not be ETOPS. Depends on the route they file you on.

True enough, there are exceptions to everything. I do believe for example that PHL & CLT to SJU are non-ETOPS, and you probably don't want something (anything) related to power supply issues on that run. But going from, say LAS - DFW would not be a problem (I know that as we get those in deferred here and there along that route). I think things like that are, above all, judgement calls. And the problem I had wasn't that flight crews were trying to stick it Doug or Corporate, but more the effect it had on customers and the rest of the folks on the ground who already have a lot of work to do, without scrambling to cover something that could have been deferred.

But, to be fair, we all do that. For a carrier other than US, I once refused to issue an RTS order on an aircraft item that had one more day left until the drop-dead kicked in. The reason? The company was sending the aircraft downline (where the part needed certainly wouldn't have been), and would have stranded it there, given the destination. IMHO, it would have already been canned, by the company anyway, but in that case, there was something "important." I couldn't see for life of me what that was, and left my own write up in the mx log. This didn't stop an awful lot of folks from letting me know how they felt though. Man, the royal chewing out I got for that one... Memories...

Anyway, yes, no one wants anyone taking a plane that isn't safe, but things that are deferrable at little or no consequence ought to be let go in consideration of what other employees will have to take care of, and of course pax needs. Just IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts