US should attempt to follow WN's lead

Ok, I am talking as a preferred member, I receive extra mileage no matter what fare I pay. So you want to see my mileage bonus for the $89 one-way fares I recently flew from DCA-DFW-DCA?

The fact of the matter is, WN is asking you to PAY MORE to get more mileage and board first priority. If you even pay the previous full fare (which still exists) you don't get any of it....you need to pay the extra on top of that. I always receive a mileage bonus for my patronage and business.....WN will only give it to you if you pay the full fare and then some.

I am a US1 so I know about those bonuses. Still you ignore the fact that US does not recognize full fare trips like the others do. Did you learn how to brush those little facts aside at the Tempe School of Spin?

And, if you want to compare apples to apples, let's compare WN's highest business fare to US's highest business fare (Y fare)--NO COMPARISON. US charges multiples of what WN charges.

sky high states: YOU MISS THE POINT, they do NOT exist on ANY WN AIRCRAFT. EVER.
You sound just like the company - talk about all the amenities US offers and skim over the fine print that says "All amenities not available on all flights, some amenities not available on most flights."

Jim

SKY High states: Are they responding to the customer? OR responding to what doesnt work anymore? Or what will make them MONEY? Now, there's a debate! :lol:

only stating opinions

No, it's not. What possible difference does it make WHY they are doing it? The important thing is that they are doing it. And, only the jealous would wonder about the motive.

If I quit running red lights, does it matter whether I quit because A) I decided that running red lights was not smart, B) I got a ticket, or C) I had a wreck. The important thing is that I quit running red lights.

I can assure you that WN has had enough feedback from their customers to indicate that sufficient numbers of them are willing to pay more for this extra. And, the most important difference here is...

Yes, Southwest is charging more to get more, but if you pay more you will, in fact, get more...not an excuse for why we can't offer it this flight.

You sound just like the company - talk about all the amenities US offers and skim over the fine print that says "All amenities not available on all flights, some amenities not available on most flights."

sky high states: And YOU sound just like the typical WN employee. Ohhh, it was ONLY two NUDE PILOTS...minimize it all you want......blah, blah, blah.

To get a better seat on Northwest, you have to PAY FOR IT. Nickel and diming, everyone screamed when they instituted it. This is certainly the same concept.

only stating opinions

sky high states: And YOU sound just like the typical WN employee. Ohhh, it was ONLY two NUDE PILOTS...minimize it all you want......blah, blah, blah.

To get a better seat on Northwest, you have to PAY FOR IT. Nickel and diming, everyone screamed when they instituted it. This is certainly the same concept.
only stating opinions

Southwest isn't nickel and diming. The perks are included when you buy a walk-up fare.

LINK: http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27617

one airline is CHARGING MORE to board early.....one airline is CHARGING MORE for a better seat. Then, this article would apply to BOTH CARRIERS.

Airline fees? The sky's the limit
By Jeff Bernhardt, JEFF BERNHARDT is a freelance writer in Los Angeles.
March 22, 2006

NORTHWEST AIRLINES has just begun testing a program to charge domestic coach passengers $15 extra to book aisle and exit-row seats. (It joins Virgin Atlantic and Air Canada, which have similar fees). It's the latest in a string of recent airline fees-for-service, such as fees for boxed meals and fees for booking by phone (versus online).

In light of this, here are some possible fees to which airline passengers may be subject in the near future:

ADVERTISEMENT
• $15 fee for a window seat on flights to certain locations (including Hawaii and Puerto Rico). There are discounts if you are willing to book a window for flights into Newark or Detroit.

• $15 fee for requesting a seat two or more rows from children under the age of 5; a $25 fee for booking a seat more than five rows from children under the age of 2.

• $15 fee for every time you ring the call service button more than once. If you anticipate that you will be a high-maintenance flier, you can purchase call service coupons ahead of time on the Internet for $5 per coupon (purchasing by phone will involve an additional, yet-undisclosed, fee).

• $25 fee to request a seat next to a passenger who is willing to not use your armrest or not mind your leg kicking the back of his or her seat. (This must be requested at least 36 hours prior to flight.)

• $25 fee to sit next to a passenger who is height/weight proportionate to his seat. (This also must be requested 36 hours prior to flight time).

• $15 fee for using the overhead compartment. If you wish to use the overhead compartment directly above your seat (as opposed to random assignment by flight crew), this must be requested online 24 hours prior to flight departure. Requests by phone will require an additional personal-attention fee of $5.

• Please be aware that there will henceforth be a fee for using the toilets onboard; $1 tokens can be purchased from the flight attendants prior to takeoff.

As the airlines say: "Thank you for flying with us. We wish you a safe and enjoyable flight."

ONLY STATING OPINIONS

You just don't get it, do you? I'll try this one more time:

You pay more for a walk-up fare on any carrier. On Southwest, if you buy a walk-up fare, you get to board early and a free drink. It's INCLUDED in the walk-up fare.

I'll try this one more time:

You pay more for a walk-up fare on any carrier. On Southwest, if you buy a walk-up fare, you get to board early and a free drink. It's INCLUDED in the walk-up fare.

sky high states: I'll try one more time: So, for the business traveler to "board early". YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. Fees for service!
I rarely, get you. JS. =)

only stating opinions

Call it what you want but the fact of the matter is, Southwest wants you to pay more (per flight) for benefits like boarding first, and receiving extra mileage credit. If you don't pay their previous full fare PLUS the extra amount for these new amenities, you can't get the benefits. I can get all of this and more on US when I pay $99 for a flight to Florida.

I don't think the Kool Aid is getting better, I just think everyone on here's sense of being objective and practical has gone to the wasteside in favor of being always negatively partial to US.

You have forgotten that WN FF's board first as well After 16 segments you board early as well.

Do you think WN will Match the US PHL-SFO $1,100 one way with connection fare I was quoted today?

You just don't get it, do you? I'll try this one more time:

sky high states: NO. It was "ADDED" to the walk up fare!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07312/832202-28.stm

One of those airlines, Dallas-based Southwest, plans to add at least two more Pittsburgh flights next year as US Airways retrenches. It is already the airport's second-largest carrier.

Yesterday, it rolled out a new set of "business select" fares that are $10-30 higher than the carrier's current top fares but allow elite travelers to board sooner, receive extra frequent flier miles and a free drink.

only stating opinions