USair denies AA pilots jumpseat...

usabusdriver said:
Hey, I didn't make the interpretation.  Mechanics are not considered airmen nor crewmembers, ipso facto cannot occupy a flight deck jumpseat.  C(3) really deals with admission to the flight deck as a seat in the passenger cabin is required.

Mechanics must have a specific requirement (job duties related to the flight they are jumpseating on) to occupy a flight deck jumpseat. (no seat in the cabin) a(3)(i)(ii)( B)

At US mechanics are issued a specific jumpseat authorization letter when required to occupy a flight deck jumpseat.
Mechanics by FAA definition are airmen and can ride flight deck jumpseat if the carrier presents a policy to the FAA and it gets approved. Usually it has something to do with monitoring flight ops. UPS took a different route and made their mechanics part of the crew because they were assigned to monitor, by being assigned a task made them part of the crew.

Getting back to the original topic, I talked to a captain I know at US and he said if they get the shaft on seniority, there will be more jumpseat issues than anyone knows what to do with.

Sounds like there will be a 3 way seniority battle, east, west and AA, that should be fun times.

TopCat870 said:
Getting back to the original topic, I talked to a captain I know at US and he said if they get the shaft on seniority, there will be more jumpseat issues than anyone knows what to do with.

Sounds like there will be a 3 way seniority battle, east, west and AA, that should be fun times.

Sadly, I think your captain acquaintance is correct.  I'm glad I don't depend on any mainline AAG jumpseat to get anywhere.

usabusdriver said:
Hey, I didn't make the interpretation.  Mechanics are not considered airmen nor crewmembers, ipso facto cannot occupy a flight deck jumpseat.  C(3) really deals with admission to the flight deck as a seat in the passenger cabin is required.

Mechanics must have a specific requirement (job duties related to the flight they are jumpseating on) to occupy a flight deck jumpseat. (no seat in the cabin) a(3)(i)(ii)( B)

At US mechanics are issued a specific jumpseat authorization letter when required to occupy a flight deck jumpseat.
You might want to read up on your FARs. Check the Subchapter D - all the 60s parts are airmen. Notice pilots are part 61, part 63 are navigators/engineers, and part 65 is airmen other than flight crewmembers - which is the part mechanics are licensed under.

blue collar said:
You might want to read up on your FARs. Check the Subchapter D - all the 60s parts are airmen. Notice pilots are part 61, part 63 are navigators/engineers, and part 65 is airmen other than flight crewmembers - which is the part mechanics are licensed under.
So now you admit we are Certificated Airmen. Thank you.

To ride up front you have to be on the CASS system.  Could the companies put mechanics and F/A's on the CASS system?  Probably,   are they going to spend the money to do so?  Probably not.

FYI, WN mechanics are allowed to fly on any jumpseat if on company business or just personal travel.

nycbusdriver said:
As it should be.  Stuff like this happens naturally when everybody rows in the same direction and everyone is respected as a valuable member of the same team.
Very true, and that goes for a lot of things. Airline employees should always try to help each other. Unfortunately we see less and less of this happening.