USair denies AA pilots jumpseat...

The idea that jumpseats cause this much trouble and there is even a need for a jumpseat commitee just shows how imature and petty Union memebers can be, even towards each other.

This kind of situatiion just doesn't exist among non union professionals in any other line of work. And I do reliaze this stuff is only an issue with a small militant subgroup overall, to bad they give others a bad name and require things like all these rules.

AA-MRO.COM said:
We are good enough to fix the junk they fly but not good enough to sit next to them while they use it. No sympathy here.

It is an FAR 121.547.

Mechanics are not authorized to ride the flight deck jumpseat unless they have specific duties that requires them to do so.  The same goes for Flight Attendants.

The cabin jumpseat is another matter, the only requirement is that the person must be an active employee of an air carrier.

So putting a mechanic in the FD jumpseat to go to another station to fix an AOG airplane violates that FAR?

usabusdriver said:
It is an FAR 121.547.

Mechanics are not authorized to ride the flight deck jumpseat unless they have specific duties that requires them to do so.  The same goes for Flight Attendants.

The cabin jumpseat is another matter, the only requirement is that the person must be an active employee of an air carrier.
. So Alaska, southwest and JetBlue are violating FAR's? Hurry up and let them know.

UPNAWAY,

It is ridiculous that this became a news item. It may have come from the USAPA public website. One guy is not a significant problem.

All airline pilot groups have jumpseat committees including non-union groups like Jetblue and VA. All work together to iron out differences and problems. Problems like this are very rare.

I would note that IMHO, claiming that problems like this wouldn't occur with non-union groups is beyond ridiculous. Unless you are blessed with a work enviroment without petty office politics, backstabbing, favoritism, nepotism and those skilled at currying favor at the boss's nether regions. ;)

The current system works fine, far better and cleaner than if any HR department would do. The companies also probably like the current system because the unions take care of the problems for free.

Thanks.

IORFA said:
It's not my fault your friend misinformed you. If you were really a F/A, you could find it yourself. Maybe you should call APFA. If they choose to tell a non member the information, then good. Otherwise, your friend will have to let you look at the contract. Either way, you are wrong. I don't have time to disprove jibberish.

That's what I thought...I have your CBA and have seen it myself. You don't have time to post where it is, but you have time to keep saying its that way. Again, get your facts together. The AA F/A simply allows the F/A's to use the jumpseat in the cabin, it doesn't restrict anyone else.

As far as the flight deck jumpseat goes. AMT's are allowed to fly in it IAW FAR 121.547, the same way dispatch does to monitor ops. I am not going to go into who is to blame for not having the policy at AA, because I really don't know.

Mentioning of F/A's in the flight deck is only for in flight purposes and requires a seat in the back. The card they carry is not an airman's certificate, it is classified as "other".

These are all facts.

Mach85ER said:
Ever hear of Opspecs?

They differ from carrier to carrier.
Correct.

And yes, there are still airlines whose OpSpecs allow non-pilots to ride in the cockpit jumpseat. Most limit it to those who have a business need to observe (i.e. AMT, Dispatcher, Load Controller), but some are indeed a little more lax and allow any employee.

Specifically, if the airline's OpSpec states that non-pilots are allowed with the Captain's permission, and the OpSpec has been approved by the FAA, then the airline is in compliance with both the letter and intent of Part 121.247 A(4).

Reactions: 1 person

usabusdriver said:

It is an FAR 121.547.

I read the recitation and don't buy your interpretation.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.547

Just so you know: an FAA Airframe & Powerplant Certificated Mechanic is considered a certificated airman. See FAR 65.00, Airman Certification, Other Than Flight Crew Members.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-65

I completely agree that the PIC should be able to refuse boarding to anyone or anything that they believe could reasonably hinder the safe operation of the aircraft over the intended route. I have given up my comfortable FC seat, well after 9-11, for one on the FD so that a Spouse of a Pilot could get on the trip, and have the perks of the seat, while I drank bottled water.

usabusdriver said:
It is an FAR 121.547.

Read paragraph (c) 3. That's where it says mechanics are authorized, since mechanics have airmen certs.

IORFA said:
It says that APFA owns the jump seat and decides who sits in it. Nice try.
American seems to categorizes employee travel as a privilege not a contractual benefit so as a result Flight Attendant and flight deck jumpseats is a company privilege not a contractual benefit

And where we were Piedmont you could fly once a year in each type of airplane on the jump seat, if you were not a flight crew member nor a mechanic.

Latest posts