Usairways Eyes Nashville for Future Reservation Center

----------------
On 4/3/2003 8:46:29 AM oldiebutgoody wrote:

----------------
On 4/3/2003 2:20:21 AM Reservation Agent wrote:

Heard a rumour that Nashville may be site for future Reservations Center...

----------------​
Why not Birmingham?

Why not New Delhi???

----------------
On 4/3/2003 2:20:21 AM Reservation Agent wrote:

Heard a rumour that Nashville may be site for future Reservations Center...

----------------​
Why not Birmingham?

How could anyone even postulate such nonsense? In case you are junior (say under 5 yrs?), US used to have a Nashville office until the mid 90s......so why would they reopen one there?
In addition, there is no need for another new batch of 300-500 agents which I assume would staff such a "new office" unless they hope to transfer hundreds and hundreds from PIT and/ or INT.. in which case it would also be insane to spend millions just MOVE these agents and equipment from either PIT or INT over to BNA. I cannot think of any sound economic reasoning for doing so other than perhaps a small possibility of US ridding another batch of high A scalers who wouldn't move, and hiring a fresh batch at minimum wage.Wouldn't it be easier to just layoff/furlough, if the latter were the case?

I work res for AA, and AA did a test on home based work and
AA determined that at this point it isn''t cost effective. If the industry ever improves this may be possible. JBLU does offer home based res except you have to move to SLC in order to be part of the network. This was done by Morse Air in the ''90''s who were ultimately purchased by WN. Guess who was the CEO of Morse Air? He''s now running another successful airline, Jetblue.

NYCbusdriver, you must get out more. Home-based reservations would never work for U half the agents can''t stay on the phones when the supervisors are five feet away let alone in another state! And I agree, it would definately not be cost effective. Maybe in ten years from now, if U is still in business. And as far as res being willing to take a paycut to stay home, well, don''t bet on it!

If they were smart, which of course they likely aren''t, they would decentralize reservations altogether and let res agents work from home using a broadband network connection. The res "centers" could be significantly shrunk in physical size, saving lot''s of money on leases.

Agents might even consider working for reduced wages compared to their "res center" counterparts, since they would spend no money on a car to commute, nor for gas to feed the car. No need for day care, or a wardrobe...work naked if that''s what you want! And...in the event of a major service disruption (snow storm, etc.), the decentralized staff could be called into working a shift on a moment''s notice providing a huge reduction in phone queue waits. What a concept!

I believe our model competitors (JetBlue, SWA) do something like this. Why, oh why, hasn''t USAirways emulated the concept?

----------------
On 4/3/2003 11:52:13 AM 4merresrat wrote:

NYCbusdriver, you must get out more. Home-based reservations would never work for U half the agents can''t stay on the phones when the supervisors are five feet away let alone in another state! And I agree, it would definately not be cost effective. Maybe in ten years from now, if U is still in business. And as far as res being willing to take a paycut to stay home, well, don''t bet on it!

----------------​

If there''s a disciplinary problem with res agents, that needs to be addressed. Computers are very good at keeping an eye on things, and it would be easy to have penalties imposed for being "logged on" and not taking calls.

And I wonder if the res agents who have been furloughed would agree with your last statement. For now, they''re probably enjoying the unemployment compensation. When that goes away, I''ll bet some of them would jump at the chance to come back to work. And if they don''t, it''s time to hire off the street.

I find it interesting that the system works so well for other carriers (whom Dave wants us to emulate,) but is flat-out not doable at USAirways. Anything is doable given enough incentive. Who would have thought a year ago that USAirways pilots would be making less than SWA, and would lose a good chunk of their pension...and still continue to work under those conditions!

NYC, from what I have heard, they have already bden "hiring off the streets." After they closed MCO, they recalled all previously furloughted in PIT and INT and then there were adds in PIT newspapers hiring.If you call res now even when there is no inclimate weather your still on hold five minutes or so, unless you have some kind of priority like PG Gold etc.

----------------
On 4/3/2003 4:46:20 PM trvlr64 wrote:

Which airline is it that uses a prison in California I think to take their reservations?? Was it JetBlue? Or maybe U can do what Delta did, they open an office in India and had those people retrained vocally to sound more "American".

Hey!? Why not move PIT res into the airport facility itself? That would close an unnecessary building?? Betoddey might have Dave do that to help reduce those $$ talks!! LOL

----------------​
I beleive that it was TWA who used prisoners.

Which airline is it that uses a prison in California I think to take their reservations?? Was it JetBlue? Or maybe U can do what Delta did, they open an office in India and had those people retrained vocally to sound more "American".

Hey!? Why not move PIT res into the airport facility itself? That would close an unnecessary building?? Bet Roddey might have Dave do that to help reduce those $$ talks!! LOL

I for one--though retired--would give my right arm and part of my old salary--even work for $7.00 per hour and 1% commission--to work from home. There is much less stress here, I have a quiet room with no interuptions, computer all set up with a dedicated phone line--would move to broadband to work from home. I''m now a home based travel agent and love this concept. I begged and pleaded while in res for us to do this--was told last time they were looking at this. The commission concept would keep agents on the phone--heck I''d work 12-16 hours a day if I could work from home. You can monitor from home, bid shifts from home, and have training online--they do now in res--. America West has some agents working from home in their vacation desk. Send me some calls and you''ll see just how good I can be.

The at home concept isn''t a bad one, if launched and operated properly. You have to be very selective in whom you choose for it and have the right tools to be able to monitor their work. My company, which provides discounted internet access and SDSL services across the country, is currently in the process of launching our new phone support system which includes this concept. If you have the right tools and the right people - it can work. The problem is getting the right people. We have certain qualifications that at-home agents must have before they''ll even be considered for it - otherwise they are in the call center taking calls. At-home agents also don''t get any benefits and are paid less...being able to work in your undies is a benefit in and of itself. So far in the testing it is working out great...we have the ability to monitor them completely up to and including watching their desktop, listening in on calls, etc.

Could it work for U? Sure...with the right people and equipment.

----------------
On 4/3/2003 7:53:54 PM LavMan wrote:

TWA at the Nassau County jail on long island, ny is where TWA had the cons taking reservations!

----------------​
What a great concept! You can book a flight and order vanity plates for your car at the same time!

TWA at the Nassau County jail on long island, ny is where TWA had the cons taking reservations!