Usairways Mechanics To The Rescue

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Who Are NWA's Replacement Mechanics? US Airways Scabs?

Northwest Airlines says replacement workers are ready to fill in and do the job if mechanics go on strike 15 days from now. But who are they?

Mechanics took a big step toward walking off their jobs by walking out of negotiations with the airline in Washington, D.C. Wednesday. A top union leader says a strike may be unavoidable.

On both sides, it's down to what could be compared to a very high-stakes card game. Both sides are gambling everything on their radically different views on how an estimated 1,000 replacement mechanics would perform in the event of a strike.

Northwest is betting their replacement mechanics would keep the airline running smoothly. The union is betting the replacements will be so bad, the airline would be all but grounded.

Airline analyst Terry Trippler predicts reality would exist somewhere in between.

"I think it will go off much better than the union expects it to, and a little bit worse than Northwest expects it to," Trippler said.

Trippler predicts the delays would be the worst in the first days of the strike.

Northwest President Doug Steenland said last week, "There's been no difficulty in attracting (replacements)." The reason: the thousands of airline industry layoffs since the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

"U.S. Airways, United, American, Delta and even Northwest have laid off so many mechanics in the past two years that these people are now out there," Trippler said.

The mechanics' union says the replacements' experience has been on small airplanes in small airports and closed hangars, not in situations such as at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport where, in a given hour, more than 100 flights have to be mechanically ready to take off.

Northwest Airlines disagrees, saying over 60 percent of the replacements have over 10 years of experience at large airlines and over 85 percent have at least five years of experience.

The airline is so confident, it is not asking President Bush to intervene and block a strike.

If there is a winner in this labor mess, it would likely be determined in the first days of a strike.

If the airline is flying with few interruptions, Northwest's bet on replacement workers may deal a crushing blow to the mechanics' union. If the airline is in chaos, it would be the union that made the right prediction.

If the airline is flying with few interruptions, Northwest's bet on replacement workers may deal a crushing blow to the mechanics' union. If the airline is in chaos, it would be the union that made the right prediction.
expect both sides to ballyho their success.......
but the proof is in the pudding when flyers reveal whether either sides claims hold merit....keep an eye on this one.
much at stake for union and management.

I think NW is going to win this one. There are tons of laid off mechanics all over, including a close friend of mine who was repositioned to XXX by NW. This person was an A & P with United for years, moved from SFO MOC doing heavy checks on the widebodies to JFK then finally to BOS where the layoff finally got to this person, with over 13 years experience.

My "friend" is alongside about 25 other former United mechanics, mostly from SFO and ORD maintenance.

So I don't think these guys are as 'inexperienced' as the union wants the public to think, especially since the UAL mechanics have worked on 747s, DC-10s, 757s, and the Airbii.. they just don't know the baby 9s.

I would hope those mechs mentioned have better sense than to aid the enemy in ruining the mechanic profession. If they don't then to hell with them all!!
Maybe a career change is in order???? It worked for me and now I am stress-free!!

Aviation maintenance careers suck......get out while you can because it's only going to get worse. Give in to concessions and you will only be that much poorer when you get the boot cause your work got farmed out.

Use your head man!!!!!

One of the Robber Barons said, "I can hire half the working class to kill the other half for a job."

I think we are going to see, very soon.

JSsup said:
There are tons of laid off mechanics all over, including a close friend of mine who was repositioned to XXX by NW. This person was an A & P with United for years, moved from SFO MOC doing heavy checks on the widebodies to JFK then finally to BOS where the layoff finally got to this person, with over 13 years experience.

My "friend" is alongside about 25 other former United mechanics, mostly from SFO and ORD maintenance.
[post="289928"][/post]​
So what you're saying is your friend is a Scab? Can't these people find work without crossing a picket line? What kind of future does this guy expect with NW? :down:

Translation: AMFA is angry that the mechanics now at NW, doing exactly the same job AMFA workers were doing yesterday, aren't paying AMFA dues. Oh well, too bad for the AMFA.

Calling people childish names like "scab" doesn't change economics. There is a job to do (maintaining aircraft) and plenty of people willing to do it who were laid off from other major airlines.

JS said:
Translation: AMFA is angry that the mechanics now at NW, doing exactly the same job AMFA workers were doing yesterday, aren't paying AMFA dues. Oh well, too bad for the AMFA.

Calling people childish names like "scab" doesn't change economics. There is a job to do (maintaining aircraft) and plenty of people willing to do it who were laid off from other major airlines.
[post="290270"][/post]​
I hardly think the term "childish" is the proper term here unless and of course ones believes in, “to hell with everyone and hooray for meâ€￾ which is where both the company and union are placing the stakes.

Back when Eastern went out I was jobless with a lot of experience as a machinist which Eastern needed as well as mechanics, I was asked if I would be interested, I told them to shove it. History tells us how that all worked out.

I hope and pray to the great power who determines everything that the same thing becomes of NW so at least the deadly infection of corporate abuse can be slowed least the working class's next step is slavery granted by a corporate run America.

There is a special place set aside for anyone who even thinks let alone takes action in destroying another man’s livelihood while trying to justify such selfish acts. They themselves become part of the infestation and are nothing but vermin of the lowest degree. Even corporate America distains such individuals yet in their own depravity use these sorry excuses as humans for their own gain.

The only people NW is going to get are all the losers that could never get hired by a major airline in the first place. Yes there are thousands on layoff but most of those have sense enough to not cross picket lines. And most guys who are layed off and the ones still working for that matter are sick and tired of putting up with the BS of the airline industry. Yes there will be a few low lifes to cross, but the reality is mechanics all across the country are thankful that somebody finally had the balls to say enough is enough. AMFA members at NW hold your heads high you are heros. The mechanics at U and UAL should have done what you guys are doing but didn't have the guts. I want to say thanks for doing what needed to be done at all the airlines.

JS said:

[post="290270"][/post]​

Corporations are recognized, as legal entities with no morality like, you know an actual human being. They only have reason for existence "Profit". When you allow they to eliminate the "human" factor for their charter (Profit) we all lose. A labor dispute that allows replacement workers to come in sets the bar for other companies to do the same. This means all workers. Don't think for a second anyone in this country is immune this standard because they are non-union, or professional.

To minimize the term "SCAB" if foolish. Good men have died in the Labor movement because of them. The term has been used for those who dilute themselves into thinking they have a chance to improve their lives at the cost of another.

Now as I said before "SCAB" is the correct term but lets use some other descriptions shall we:

If someone crosses a picket line they lack a certain description that could only described as "CANCER" to labor in general. The lack of moral fiber of a person to take an others job is "CRIMINAL" and should be considered a sin. Let God forgive them and give them solace because no righteous man can or should. They are "PROSTITUTES" who shop they skills and sleep with any creature that will pay them money.

JS said:

[post="290270"][/post]​
I do not, or have never worked under AMFA or for NW. I'm not even in the airline industry anymore. Although, what these people are doing is dead wrong and detrimental to yet, another, previously noble profession in this country!

The Scab

"After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab."

"A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles."

"When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out."

"No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself." A scab has not.

"Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army." The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.

Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country; a scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class."

Author --- Jack London (1876-1916)

Hmmm... three posts replying to mine with no substance, just more name-calling (cancer, criminal, blah blah blah) and a bunch of preachy rhetoric. Very unconvincing. :rolleyes:

calibrator said:
I hardly think the term "childish" is the proper term here unless and of course ones believes in, “to hell with everyone and hooray for meâ€￾ which is where both the company and union are placing the stakes.

Back when Eastern went out I was jobless with a lot of experience as a machinist which Eastern needed as well as mechanics, I was asked if I would be interested, I told them to shove it. History tells us how that all worked out.

I hope and pray to the great power who determines everything that the same thing becomes of NW so at least the deadly infection of corporate abuse can be slowed least the working class's next step is slavery granted by a corporate run America.
There is a special place set aside for anyone who even thinks let alone takes action in destroying another man’s livelihood while trying to justify such selfish acts. They themselves become part of the infestation and are nothing but vermin of the lowest degree. Even corporate America distains such individuals yet in their own depravity use these sorry excuses as humans for their own gain.
[post="290385"][/post]​

So well stated.

JS said:
Hmmm... three posts replying to mine with no substance, just more name-calling (cancer, criminal, blah blah blah) and a bunch of preachy rhetoric. Very unconvincing. :rolleyes:
[post="290494"][/post]​

And your own post was devoid of rhetoric? The ultimate truth? ( Note: one does not have to like an argument to validate it )

A common argumental tactic used by many, especially in the longer threads ( here included ) is to simply ignore rebuttals and claim "you ( still ) didn't answer my question..." or somesuch remark, despite getting answers/rebuttals. Seems straight out of 'How to win an argument and always be right' book. While a certain captain is the most infamous user of this tactic, he certainly isn't the only one.