Usairways Reps Go to Augusta tournament!

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
Who cares???

In any event, its nice to see that US has added service for high demand events. Looking at the typical schedule, US does 4x daily Dash 8 flights.

Looking at today's schedule, US has booked 6 Dash-8-300s and two 733s. Quite a surge.

The next round of guests, who are scheduled to tour Augusta today and visit Augusta National Golf Club on Friday, will be primarily from the biotechnology sector. Representatives from US Airways also will be in town. Local officials are lobbying for an additional route on the airline''s regional carrier to Washington.

U.S. Airways Express already operates daily flights between Augusta and Charlotte, N.C. Representatives from another unnamed airline that currently does not serve Augusta also will visit the golf tournament this week.

The final segment of showcase guests Saturday and Sunday will be primarily from retail companies.

With the draw of the actual tournament, they would probably come, rain or shine. - Phil Wahl, Augusta Showcase chairman, on the 24 companies still scheduled to visit

Reach Vicky Eckenrode at (706) 823-3227 or [email protected].

ANY IDEA WHO THESE REPS WERE WHO GOT TO SEE THE TOURNAMENT?

The Company can have mainline flights a day into an express city for a certain period of time. Probably the same people that work charters into cities where we don''t have mainline employees

Per the IAM-fleet contract, express stations can have two mainline jets daily, year-round. Express agents can work these flights.

Additionally, the company may put unlimited 'seasonal' flights into express stations, with express agents working those mainline jets. The definition of 'seasonal' is four months at a time during a year. I took that to mean the company could have two 'seasonal' periods annually in any express station, but my rep says no, just and only four months annually. We'll see.

Lastly, the company and the IAM will be meeting soon to iron out the seniority language for mainline employees displaced to mainline express and MDA.

During Concessions, parts I and II, I had some pretty decent info that up to 17 stations would be 'expressed.' STL and MEM got the chop, and CLE is on the block in June. Probably more to come.

My guess is, when it's all said and done, the hubs (perhaps less PIT), the focus cities (and a bunch of their flying will become RJ) and the long range cities (LAX, SFO, DEN, etc)will remain mainline. CWA and IAM agents in most other locations will have a new 'expression' on their face.

"may you live in interesting times"

Chinese curse

While it''s not a good thing for US Airways mainline ground employees (ramp, gate, etc.), the new contract does give the airline significant flexibility which it needed. The possibility of having a couple of mainline flights each day allows for the return of at least some mainline service to stations where mainline jets have disappeared in the last two years -- places like AVP, ERI, ILM, AVL, DAY, STL, etc. and allow some stations with only one or two daily mainline flights (like ABE) to keep that service.

I am curious, though, as to what keeps all the Caribbean stations that only see one or two daily flights at most from being classified as Express, or a place like SRQ or SNA that gets 2 mainline flights and no Express flights? It''s certainly not good for the employees but I could see it being exploited as a cost-saving measure.

----------------
On 4/10/2003 3:56:33 PM sfb wrote:

I am curious, though, as to what keeps all the Caribbean stations that only see one or two daily flights at most from being classified as Express, or a place like SRQ or SNA that gets 2 mainline flights and no Express flights? It''s certainly not good for the employees but I could see it being exploited as a cost-saving measure.

----------------​

The ground handling and customer service in most Caribbean destinations is vendored out already. And if memory serves, some domestic locations were vendored out pre-contract, and were grandfathered to remain so.

I must say that everyone at AGS was very professional and made me proud. On monday an agent told me that every one of their flights- including 2 737-300s 2 ERJ''s 1 CRJ and many DH3''s were oversold. The lines for passengers was out of the terminal... but the agents at the counter kept focused and no matter how long their line was delt with each passenger one on one.
The mainline flights were worked with some mainline employees with the help of numerous TDY agents from PSA''s stations... From the sidelines it looked very professional. Great job guys!