new DL service to HHH, upgrades to MYR

flyJOE

Advanced
Oct 26, 2005
Concord, NC (former PHL)
Today Delta announced new DL Connection service from ATL to HHH, with 3x daily ATR-72 service. In addition, they'll be upgrading a DL Connection flight to an MD-88.

Now call me crazy, but with the recent announcements of JFK-PHX, CLT-SLC, and PIT-SLC, is there more to this then just an opportunity DL sees? Here me out, US has had the only service at HHH for years. Now DL joins in and HHH becomes another city that now has service on two airlines, both US & DL. If the merger goes through, then HHH becomes another city like HTS, AGS, FAY, ILM, etc... that goes from having competition to a monopoly market. Correct me if I'm wrong, my understanding of HHH is with 4400' runways, only the Dash 8-100/200 can be used & is always pushing weight restrictions. Yet DL is going to fly the ATR-72, a much larger aircraft.

Now up the road in MYR, US is the largest carrier & DL, the second largest. DL upgrades a flight adding capacity into the market and upping the combined share of available seats into MYR by both US & DL.

I wouldn't be shocked to see DL announce service to either PGV and EWN in the near future, even though they serve ISO down the road or look to see if service is upgraded at other airports where US & DL have a large market share like AVL, ABE, ROA, etc...

What do you think? Am I crazy?

You're not crazy. Interesting theory. DL will most certainly take restrictions on departing flights from HHH. They can probably take mostly a full load inbound. But yes, another airport that will have two carriers, but then one. Maybe it will make a difference with DOT/DOJ reviews. Who knows?

You're not crazy. Interesting theory. DL will most certainly take restrictions on departing flights from HHH.

American Eagle uses ATRs into small airports in the Carribean. LIET (Tortola) has a 1900 foot runway and service is with an ATR-42. Yes, I know that is a smaller aircraft, there is always a 15 knot tradewind and their flight back to SJU is less than 100 miles. However, the ATR-72 should be able to service HHH with a minimum of disruption.

American Eagle uses ATRs into small airports in the Carribean. LIET (Tortola) has a 1900 foot runway and service is with an ATR-42. Yes, I know that is a smaller aircraft, there is always a 15 knot tradewind and their flight back to SJU is less than 100 miles. However, the ATR-72 should be able to service HHH with a minimum of disruption.

Additionally, the American Eagle ATR-72 is the workhorse into EYW. They depart the relatively short runway there full of passengers, bags, and the bags that DL couldn't take due to weight restriction.

Runway 21 in HXD has major restrictions! We can carry 50 Paxs into HXD with the Dash 8 300's... However we can only leave with 30!

Remember Eagle can fly full out of EYW because the weather is usually nice and MIA is close!!!
But Flying from HXD to ATL will be a way different story!!! It will be big time restricted. And remember HXD is 4300' while I believe EYW is 4800'. Makes for a big diffence in Takeoff Numbers! Also when the Temp reaches into the high 90's in the summer this adds to the restriction misery.
I would think US Airways would go back to 15 Flights a day from CLT! We could accomadate all the bumped pax at Delta!

Actually the newest ATR-72s don't have an issue in EYW. I guess Executive Airlines has an "A" model and that does get weight restricted out of EYW, but not by much... I want to say its a 2 or 3 seat hit when its hot outside.

The other issue w/ the Executive AT7's are C & G - Weight & Balance issues... if there aren't enough bags, they can't go full (sounds like the PSA CRJ's in EYW too!)

Now up the road in MYR, US is the largest carrier & DL, the second largest. DL upgrades a flight adding capacity into the market and upping the combined share of available seats into MYR by both US & DL.

I wouldn't be shocked to see DL announce service to either PGV and EWN in the near future, even though they serve ISO down the road or look to see if service is upgraded at other airports where US & DL have a large market share like AVL, ABE, ROA, etc...

Two items:

1) DL has frequently added capacity to MYR during peak season. This is nothing new.

2) DL is terminating service to ISO shortly. They did just recently launch service to OAJ (another US stronghold).