Vertical Fire Article

CTD

Veteran
Mar 10, 2003
Hey Reyno,

Nice article from Mr. Lowery on the western fires. Excellent photos by our own 407driver as well.

Nice work.

Yeah, even mentioned a couple of people I knew!

Talking of vertical, I'd like to take the opportunity to mention that there is apparently an STC to allow the AStar to fly with one door off, as someone has kindly pointed out after reading my comments. I don't know the full details as yet, but looking.

Cheers

Phil

Undoubtedly some of the best press coverage of our more exciting work I've ever seen. Congratulations to Mike and all his hands involved. :up:

Hey Vardy, glad you liked it! :D

Dave Lowery was lucky enough to get some first-hand accounts of the fires - great cooperation from all operators and people involved - sad to see the level of destruction though.

In issue 6 we are finishing up on now, we have a first-hand perspective from the fires in southern California this time. Glenn Grossman, who is a Reserve officer with the LAPD, supplied us with some truly stunning action photographs of helicopters fighting the fires.

And speaking of images, I will be updating the new Vertical site in the coming days with lots of images. We also now have e-cards available if you want to email someone a message with one of the photos.

Please feel free to send me any ideas are suggestions of stories you would like to see covered in up-coming issues of Vertical.

And 407 Driver....send me more pictures!

Thanks for the support guys!

Mike

I remember during the summer or fall you were looking for photo's that people took out in the field. And I was wondering what you are looking for in terms of quality for your magazine. Could you give us amateur digital camera users a list of what setting we should be using.

Glad you asked! :up:

We receive many photos from people in the field, but in lots of cases the resolution is too low for publication – they look great on the screen at 43k, but terrible when put in a magazine. :(

Any pictures you would like to see considered for publication take at the highest setting on the camera. For example, all of the images provided by 407 Driver were around the 400k range in size (1024x768), which is good enough to run the size we did in the magazine (4x6), but we couldn’t run them any larger or else they would start to become pixilated.

The best pictures anyone can run are those taken in the field as it's happening versus setting up the shot for a photographer that shows up for a day or two, like me. :D

Mike, I just bought a 256MB card for my Camera at Costco, so I'm ready for action !
I can now take an estimated 160 pictures at full (3.34 Megapixel) resoloution, giving flie sizes over 1000K. With 256MB, plus the old 96 MB card (60 more pics) it should get me through a high flying day now ;)
When I was taking photos on the Tokum Fire in August, I had to stop and delete some, to make room for more.

A simple old trick that I learned from a National Geographic Pro, shooting in Nahanni Park in the late 70's...take LOTS and lots of photos's !!!

Hey 407D why don't send some of your superb photos into gallery here. :up:
So the rest of us can have a gander of your fine photography skills. :D
Anyone else with some nice pics that can top the 407D in quality should also. ;)

There's quite a few in the gallery already X-1.

For a really great photo show, check out www.Pprune.org -in "Rotorheads", and their quasi-photo-gallery,actually, it's just a regular thread, but now has over 19 pages of great Heli-action photos from around the world.

Hey Vertical Mag, I've got lot's of Digi photos I could send. You've probably got a location posted somewhere for sending you pics but maybe you could do it again for those of us who don't know.? :p

Thanks in advance.

Check the 'res'?
ymca.gif
Wow, photographers are lazy bastiges as well, and shorten words to their absolute minimum. Who'da thunk it?

Go ahead Mike, check that res baby. :up:

Kisses to you-know-who... :wub:

...Hmmm, someone was obviously taking more pictures than lets say "bucketing" maybe? :p No wonder so many Ha's burnt up! ;) Or does the media just like to fly around in a grease lightining bell 4 oh 7 eh? ;) :huh: ;)

Yea, Yea, Yea, more of my tax dollar wasted, just like the clowns bucketing off the bellie hooks in those pictures... :blink:

Thanks Mike

At least I know what you are looking for, you never know I may be the next to see my photo in vertical!!

Back