Voluntary options available to offset overage

czerny

Advanced
Mar 24, 2004
According to Lauri Curtis's hotline on Jan 8, voluntary options are available to offset the fa overage.
1.Overage leaves
2. Modified Partnership flying
3.Travel separation for anyone with 5 or 10 years seniority.

Please consider any of these to help possibly save a spot for someone who needs the job. My buddy bidder and I are mulling over the partnership flying since you can add trips during your block and fly the same number of hours you normally do. The only difference is your reserve month where you will only be responsible or held to 43 hrs.

It will be interesting to see how many people actually take advantage of any of the options here. When they offered the PLOA for the 1st quarter 2010 back in Nov., only 75 people systemwide proffered. Just about everyone who can afford a leave has taken one.

I took the modified partnership flying for Oct-Dec. Just be aware that unless you are a whiz at trip trading and you get a schedule that is amenable to trip trades, it will be difficult to pick up additional trips. A friend in SLT tried to go on makeup to pickup additional flying, and crew scheduling told him that they were instructed not to award MU to partnership people...that it was "illegal" for him to fly over 35 hours other than through trip trading (i.e., no MU, no open time plotting). I flew 70 hours in the last two weeks of Nov., but I held a relief line that had 57.40 hours of flying in the last two weeks of the month. I picked up one two day trip from another f/a, then got the rest of the time due to delays on those trips.

Also, be aware that on the modified partnership flying, you can not partner with a particular person. That's why they are calling it modified. (I may be misunderstanding what you said about you and your buddy bidder.) There is no provision for partnering with a particular person. You proffer for either an AB or CD schedule (1st half of the month or 2nd half). And, last time around, it didn't have to be the same proffer each month. I proffered for Oct. AB and Nov. CD in hopes of getting a whole month off in there. Didn't happen, but what the hey.

If you hold a line and AB schedule (for instance), they put the trips for the last half of the month in a relief line for anyone who might hold it. So, if you are thinking of going this route, you and your buddy bidder might need to ask someone what the effect of being coupled in a buddy bidder might be. For all practical purposes, they are awarding part-time flying, but just not calling it that.

One other thing...last time they said they would award the modified partnership to anyone who proffered for it. That turned out not to be true. I was the most junior person in SLT who was awarded a modified partnership. I know of at least one person junior to me who proffered, but did not get it.

It seems LG on the APFA hotline has once again, lied to her membership. She stated that the APFA and AA reached a deal that no furloughs will happen at least through August 2010. Our union is a piece of you know what!

Hey Jim
We both put in for mod. partnership flying last time and didn't get it either. We have a fab trip trader who can do miracles and can plot up to 80 plus hours on your line months. But, on reserve, you are right, you'd be stuck with half a schedule.

One other thing...last time they said they would award the modified partnership to anyone who proffered for it. That turned out not to be true. I was the most junior person in SLT who was awarded a modified partnership. I know of at least one person junior to me who proffered, but did not get it.
[/quote]

It seems LG on the APFA hotline has once again, lied to her membership. She stated that the APFA and AA reached a deal that no furloughs will happen at least through August 2010. Our union is a piece of you know what!

I noticed the difference in the message. APFA says no furloughs "at least through August, 2010." Lauri says on the website, "While we have no plans to furlough presently, we will offer voluntary options." IIRC, that opening phrase regarding "no plans" was used by her last year. The month before she announced that 1200 of us were subject to furlough and that letters had been mailed?

We have a known overage of 400-500 f/as for this quarter, and who knows what it will be when the people currently out on overage leaves start coming back in the late Spring and Summer. If there is not a mad rush for the overage mitigation options being offered, I think we will see a modification of the "no plans to furlough presently" stance.

Just think how things would be without a union..... Let me guess, you think the company is your buddy???
Guess again.....
BTW AA wants more of your pay the next contract along with VC time.
Now if we did not have a union , where would we be today???
How can you sit there and enjoy all what the union has fought over the years and then post this crap.
I sure how you dont scab if it comes to that...
Your union will be the one to bring you raises, VC time, etc. NOT AA !!!!

I don't think anyone is saying you have to be "buddy buddy" with the company. I also think it's stupid not to work together on areas of mutual benefit (yes, they do exist). APFA is doing right by its member trying to mitigate furloughs.

Just think how things would be without a union..... Let me guess, you think the company is your buddy???
Guess again.....
BTW AA wants more of your pay the next contract along with VC time.
Now if we did not have a union , where would we be today???
How can you sit there and enjoy all what the union has fought over the years and then post this crap.
I sure how you dont scab if it comes to that...
Your union will be the one to bring you raises, VC time, etc. NOT AA !!!!

Its not the AAPFA name, Im against. Its the idiots like LG, BD, DP, JB and the BOD who destroy it! I got a great laugh from your last comment, "Your union will be the one to bring you raises, VC time, etc. NOT AA." The AAPFA couldn't even save all 1200 from furlough last year, but AFA saved all 2150 at United through voluntary furloughs. AAPFA wanted NOTHING to do with that option because they don't care about the junior f/a's.

The AAPFA has not fought for crap over the years. They handed AA our 2001 contract on a silver platter. All they do is hide in Useless getting trip removed. Do you think its fair LG took a $5,000 per year raise? She now makes $93,000 and that's $5,000 more than John Ward did. She takes a raise while we all suffer. She had the balls to ask us for more union dues, while she took a $5,000 per year raise. Its all there for you to see with your own eyes. Just fly to Useless and see the books. All of that is available for you to see as a member.

In regards to your scab BS comment. I have been on strike before, have you? I was out on the picket lines for 12 days? Have you?

Please stop drinking the AAPFA Kool-AAid. Its frying your brain and screwing you.

Its not the AAPFA name, Im against. Its the idiots like LG, BD, DP, JB and the BOD who destroy it! I got a great laugh from your last comment, "Your union will be the one to bring you raises, VC time, etc. NOT AA." The AAPFA couldn't even save all 1200 from furlough last year, but AFA saved all 2150 at United through voluntary furloughs. AAPFA wanted NOTHING to do with that option because they don't care about the junior f/a's.

The AAPFA has not fought for crap over the years. They handed AA our 2001 contract on a silver platter. All they do is hide in Useless getting trip removed. Do you think its fair LG took a $5,000 per year raise? She now makes $93,000 and that's $5,000 more than John Ward did. She takes a raise while we all suffer. She had the balls to ask us for more union dues, while she took a $5,000 per year raise. Its all there for you to see with your own eyes. Just fly to Useless and see the books. All of that is available for you to see as a member.

In regards to your scab BS comment. I have been on strike before, have you? I was out on the picket lines for 12 days? Have you?

Please stop drinking the AAPFA Kool-AAid. Its frying your brain and screwing you.
I dont even know where to begin.... Your thought process makes no sense at all... You must be junior if you think APFA is the bad guy...
Go ahead and drink the companies Kool-aid and see where it gets you... low wages, no pension, etc.
BTW go and tell AA to stop laying F/As off right now or esle !!! They'll listen to you , go right ahead and while you are at it, tell them you want a pay raise ...... They are just willing to hand it all over o us because they care about the employees .... why do we need APFA?? All we need is AA management to rely on to give us what we deserve....Maybe we can get bonuses too if we ask for that... The list goes on...

Latest posts