Wal-Mart Seeks to Head Off Worker Protests

In college in English class and Public Speaking you cannot use Wiki for a source.

Wiki is a great source as a starting point. Most if not all the page have tons of references taged in the article. Start checking on the citations and back track to its origin.

Reactions: 1 person
In college in English class and Public Speaking you cannot use Wiki for a source.

Well this isn't college or an English class in said College now is it?

Wiki is a great start for your research as it gives you a quick overview of the topic at hand. This then allows one to "Drill Down" and find other more accurate or up to date information.

I'm still trying to figure out why the Government is involved through the NLRB. IMO there should be no such board meddling in the affairs of a company and its Labor force.

The Founding fathers weren't real fond of Corporations which were a new concep tbackt hen and as time goes by it appears their fears may have been well founded.

All of the laws passed regulating Labor Relations under the guise of fairness have hamstrung the workers from exerting the appropriate leverage required to better their lot. See there were Banksters and Crony Capitalists even back then.

And why do those laws exist in the first place?

No it's not, which is why I've always said that spelling flames and/or autocorrect failure flaming is weak.

Wiki is a great start for your research as it gives you a quick overview of the topic at hand. This then allows one to "Drill Down" and find other more accurate or up to date information.

A good jumping off point perhaps, but it's still set up so that anyone can alter the content at any time, so it's certainly not something one should cite directly w/ any hope of it being credible.

No, it is not. But why not practice good research methods all the time. Wikipedia has improved over time, but there is still little accountability. I choose not to use it, because I am still a student (probably will be the rest of my life), and I will get an instant "F" or "I" grade if it is found that it was used as a source.

Like I tell my nieces and nephews when they send me text messages and emails with improper grammar and spelling. If they practice proper spelling and grammar all the time, it comes naturally when it is very important (like writing a resume, or a cover letter).

Reactions: 1 person
No, it is not. But why not practice good research methods all the time. Wikipedia has improved over time, but there is still little accountability. I choose not to use it, because I am still a student (probably will be the rest of my life), and I will get an instant "F" or "I" grade if it is found that it was used as a source.

Like I tell my nieces and nephews when they send me text messages and emails with improper grammar and spelling. If they practice proper spelling and grammar all the time, it comes naturally when it is very important (like writing a resume, or a cover letter).

For me Wikipedia is the jumping off point as it has enough information that is accurate enough to lead meto other places which provide more and better information. To me anyone who relies on one source, be it MSNBC, Fox, Wikipedia, Huff Post is doing themselves a disservice. One time when I started at Wikipedia I ended up on a Neo-Nazi website which was rather interesting though not enjoyable

Union thug?

The site where Chestnut Hill Friends Meeting is building a new meetinghouse was damaged by arsonists during Christmas week, and police are now "absolutely" sure the attack was the result of a dispute between members of a Philadelphia construction union and the project's nonunion contractor.
Although no suspects have been identified in the Dec. 21 incident, Lt. George McClay of Northwest Detectives said Friday that he was certain the small Quaker building on East Mermaid Lane was targeted because it is being built with nonunion labor.
"I absolutely think it is a union issue," McClay said.
If union members were involved, the attack would be the second violent incident in Philadelphia this year related to the use of nonunion construction workers. This spring, union protesters clashed with nonunion workers renovating the former Goldtex factory tower at 12th and Wood Streets for Post Bros., an apartment developer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20121229_Phila__police_tie_construction-site_arson_to_union_sabotage.html