Reserve Pilot vs. Regular Officer?

Danqaz

Aug 2, 2003
Hi, Latley Ive been looking through the DND and recruitment websites, and one question came to mind. I keep on hearing about the Part time reserves, and I was wondering if there was a pilot position in the reserves? And if so would a reserve pilot be able to fly all of the normal airforce aircraft such as the snowbirds or search and rescue in a herc or buffalo(I know both positions are a reward or tryout basis) but would a reserve be eligable to tryout for such a position. I currently hold my fixed wing liscense and have always wanted to fly search and rescue in the buffalo, and knowing that there are many helicopter pilots on this site I will not say that I would prefer a fixed wing position(not wanting to start that argument again), but I was also very interested to learn that many of the snowbirds are former chopper pilots, so im guessing theres a method of changing what type of training you recieve? My biggest question would be oppertunities in a civillian job, which would present the best oppertunity for the future. The last thing I would worry about is money, i just wanna fly even a helo. And would a reserve pilot also be able to hold a civillian flying job as well, any feedback would be a huge help, thanks

Well, as a lowly Reserve and Commercial helicopter pilot, I can say that although there are opportunities to fly as a reserve pilot, getting there is almost impossible. The reserves are currently structured in such a way that only retired CF pilots in good standing on the supplementary reserve list are selected to fly as reservists. To go from zero to OTU qualified pilot as a reservist is almost impossible. You also need a University degree to enter as a Pilot...

There is a program - HELICOP - wherein a commercial helicopter pilot with a min. 500 hours can enter in as a "Reserve Only Pilot MOC 32N". This is available through 408 THS (Edmonton), 438 THS (St. Hubert) and 400 THS (Borden). There are no similar programs for seized wing pilots. Your best bet is to join the Reg. force and take your lumps and your chances if you want to fly military. They don't really care what you want to fly, they will put you where they need you (rotary or stiff wing).

Military experience coupled with a suitable amount of civilian time is very valuable. You can try to talk to a recruiting centre, but they can be quite evasive and frustrating to deal with...

Best of luck.

Not bad Batfink but one can get to a cockpit. I was at 408 involved with recruitment for quite some time and we hired and trained many commercial pilots to wings and some deployed to Bosnia.

You can join at 402 Sqn in Winnipeg and end up flying Dash 8s, that is only current fixed wing squadron.

The problem is that getting in you still must do Basic Officer Training and other courses for professional training such as basic and sea survival. All of these take a lot of time and are difficult to attend to when you have a life and a job.

Just like inexperienced pilots taking the commercial route, Reserve pilots make similar sacrifices leaving better paying jobs to attend these courses. It is not an easy road but it is feasible. Once you are at a squadron and trained you fly like the others. The principal concept of Reserves is that you are a local person. Commuting to work sporadically from far away is not usually allowed because you become more of a burden to a unit if you do not keep current on your aircraft type. For example at 408 Sqn we had a policy that all aircrew must be at the squadron a minimum of eight days per month while under training and six once you are trained. If you could not provide decent reasons for not keeping your currency on type then you could be recommended for release.

Although a local Recruiting Office will eventually process your application, you must start at the individual unit itself. If you are truly interested contact the units themselves, they are in the local phone books or at least available through the base operators where they are.

As Batfink stated the units are:

408 Sqn in Edmonton Alberta - Griffon (Bell 412) Helicopters
400 Sqn in Borden (near Barrie) Ontario - Griffons
438 Sqn in St-Hubert (Montreal) -- Griffons
402 Sqn in Winnipeg Manitoba -- Dash 8 Navigator trainers
427 Sqn in Petawawa Ontario -- Griffons (Limited positions)
403 Sqn in Gagetown (Fredericton) New Brunswick -- Griffons (Limited positions)

Good luck with whatever happens, military flying is a great and very different from missions flown on the commercial side. Not better, or worse, different.

Batfink said:
You can try to talk to a recruiting centre, but they can be quite evasive and frustrating to deal with...
Isn't that the truth! I was a recruiting officer in the reserves for a couple of years, and the problems and delays that I and potential candidates experienced in dealing with the recruiting centres were something to behold. :down: When I joined in the 1980's, individual reserve units used to process their own recruits (with coordination from their respective HQs), but with the introduction of the 'total force concept', that efficient and inexpensive process was eliminated.

The thing to remember about the current recruiting system is that it operates in crisis mode, constantly responding to whatever NDHQ has said is the priority tasking of the day/week/month/whatever. I recall everything essentially shutting down for a couple of months at CFRC Toronto while the search went on to find and process three DEO dental officer candidates.

Another thing to keep in mind is that things are always changing in the CF. One day 'the powers that be' decide that an MOC should be subject to the FRP, and the next day they change their mind and open a new recruiting programme to increase personnel in that MOC. Really, there is no rhyme or reason.

It is quite possible that Danqaz might get lucky and be recruited off the street into reserve pilot training; it's equally possible that the opportunity may never arise. I sure wouldn't want to count on it, anyway, regardless of whatever has happened in the past.

Vortex Ring said:
As Batfink stated the units are:

408 Sqn in Edmonton Alberta - Griffon (Bell 412) Helicopters
400 Sqn in Borden (near Barrie) Ontario - Griffons
438 Sqn in St-Hubert (Montreal) -- Griffons
402 Sqn in Winnipeg Manitoba -- Dash 8 Navigator trainers
427 Sqn in Petawawa Ontario -- Griffons (Limited positions)
403 Sqn in Gagetown (Fredericton) New Brunswick -- Griffons (Limited positions)
Don't forget the Sea Things on the Left Coast. There are a couple of reservists flying there (and going to sea too) :eek:

Thank you Fully Articulated, our prayers are with our Brothers and Sisters that are currently afflicted with the Sea Pig...
:shock:

Yes there was, not sure if he is still there. He had no previous military training prior to becoming a Reservist. I did hear from a former Yellowknife guy that this individual had "personality" issues with management so to speak. So I am not sure if he is still around but as far as qualifications to fly he had way more Twin Otter hours than any Regular Force guy up there.

Adjusting to how business is done on both sides of the fence is a job in itself. Commercial vs. military differs in many ways and some folks cannot bridge the gap, in either direction while others transition nicely. Just like they told us in kindergarden, you've got to get along with others and respect other points of view.

And by the way Batfink, you do bring up good points, it is sometimes difficult for the Reg Force to properly support the Reserves but in all honesty you must admit that you would have never in a million years gotten your current job if it wasn't for you military Reserve qualifications and connections. Just an observation, not a criticism because I'm a big believer in connections and networking oneself, all the same without the Reserves you would not be working where you are so soon in your aviation career ergo the pains one must sometimes endure can have pay offs, n'est-ce-pas?

VR...

As I stated previously...

Batfink said:
Military experience coupled with a suitable amount of civilian time is very valuable.
As you well know, I am indeed blessed to have been selected as a Reserve pilot (again, thanks for all of your help and support in that regard!). At no time have I ever denied (I am actually very proud to admit) that I am what I am - in part - due to my continued involvement with the Canadian Armed Forces.

Make no mistake, I am fully aware of how fortunate I am.

That being said, I feel that I am also where I am due to alot of very hard work and plenty of being in the right place at the right time with a small amount of skill finely honed by a variety of experiences along with a huge amount of help from both Military and Civillain pilots...

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was not true to my roots, but it is unfortunate that you feel this way.

Regards

I have just heard through a connection in Ottawa that reserve officeers are going to or did just undergo a 15% pay cut. If this is accurate then how in hell do they think that those in the reserve herd will really want to stick around unless they are desperate for a job :huh:

We did not receive a 15% paycut, although we do earn 85% of an equivalent Reg Force Officer salary....

<_<

Cheers!

Yesterday I received in the mail a form letter dated May 2003, advising me that the supplementary ready reserve (of which I am a member) and the supplementary holding reserve have been merged and the terms of service will be changed.

If you sent notice letters six months late on civvie street, your business would quickly go bankrupt, but of course things are done differently at 101 Colonel By Drive. :down:

Typical DND ... they can never get their act together (how would we ever fight a war!!!).

Back