We have a tentative agreement

Since airline staffing seems to be a debatable issue, you all should go to the SWA board and read the one airlines magic posting. Its an article from Time magazine, Oct 25 edition. Somewhat of an eye opener on staffing and hiring, but I am not totally sure of some of their numbers.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 11/2/2002 11:44:37 AM avek00 wrote:

IMHO, I hope that UA ALPA obtained an 1113 letter, as they're going to need it with that $2.2B figure.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Well, avek00,

It didn't take long for you to chime in with your pilot bashing comments, without knowing any of the facts behind the deal. But I realize that you won't be happy unless the pilots shell out somewhere between 99 - 100% of the 9 Billion originally asked for.

That is an excellent idea 767jetz...keep that up and I think ol' Scotty has a serious challenger for District President

On another note...now that all the 767-200 are going to become giant paperweights, how many more pilots will not be flying but still on payroll??? Or can the senior ones just take voluntary surplus at 60% pay and play golf why the rest can average 36/hrs flight time for 75/hr pay???

If I have to explain, then you have no clue. I will say this, since obtaining our new contract, which put us in line with industry standard, I am satisfied with my living. I know that I will never be a rich man working on someone else's airplanes. My problem is this is a symbiotic relationship, one that the pilots obviously forgot about. To have an airline, you have to have pilots. Since they are integral to the heart of the operation and bear much responsibility, they should be well compensated. I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is that it takes more than just pilots to run an airline. I maintain the machines that these men use to make their livelyhood on. The safety and reliability of these machines lie squarely upon our shoulders. Without us in some sort of capacity, these guys don't make that living. Now millionare businessmen and men that top out at $350k are telling me I need to take a paycut to save their ass. Maybe if I had been part of the equation, and I had as much at stake, I'd care a little more.

mastermechanic

Why so hell bent on Pilots? Did you not realize when you started training as a Mechanic that Pilots make significantly more money? So do Doctors. If you want that kind of money, train for it in a profession that pays that kind of wage. Or be a Longshoreman. There is a reason for the pay. I'm sure if you went and got the training and experience and if you have a four-year degree, United would hire you as a Pilot, or management, or some other function that pays those wages. Definitely no offense to Mechanic's.

mastermechanic,

If you are so mad at the world, United, pilots, management and whoever has a different opinion than you, why don't you do all of us a favor and pack up your tools and leave United. There are some people that light up a room when they walk in and there are others who light up a room when they leave.

On another note…you guys can hate me all you want, and your advice on career opportunities chokes me up, but this is hardly just my sentiment folks. I may be vocal here on this board, but this IS what the rank and file feel.

Mastermechanic,

With all this hostility you have pent up, if they hadn't caught the D.C. sniper, I'd have sworn it was you! Do you beat your wife and kick your dog, too?

Captain Paul Whiteford, head of the council and a member of the UAL Corp. (UAL) board of directors, said in an interview that the 18-percent pay cut is scheduled to take effect December 1.

We start with an 18 percent cut and then get some build-back in 2004, he said, returning to today's wages by the year 2008.

This raises a question for me. If labor is kicking in 1.2billion a year, for five years, then who/what makes up the excess amount when pilots get a snapback in 2004? I may have simply misunderstood this point though, can someone clarify/comment?

Alright folks my time to chime in
Busdrvr do you know if the ALPA deal is 18% plus workrules and benefits ? or just the paycut? I would me most interested to know if your medical benefits are affected?
Busdrvr and Master Mechanic one of those planes was noticed here in H-Town after it came in from DEN , it looked like ice got the number 2 engine I might add some of our very skilled mechanics came down from DEN and fixed it quick , pretty nice guys.
Back to Age of Mythology

Latest posts