Web Check-in Problem

MAAMARCH04

Jan 28, 2006
Hello all,

I'm having difficulty checking in for flights using the ETC Web Check-in. I have a Dell laptop that uses Windows Vista and a desktop that uses Windows XP. I've been unable to check-in for my flight on either computer. I've already called The Help Desk, but they were unable to guide me through to a solution (however, they were nice enough to check me in, this time). I guess my question is, does anyone else have an issue with Web check-in from home and, if so, do you know of a fix or work-around?

Thanks.

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty checking in for flights using the ETC Web Check-in. I have a Dell laptop that uses Windows Vista and a desktop that uses Windows XP. I've been unable to check-in for my flight on either computer. I've already called The Help Desk, but they were unable to guide me through to a solution (however, they were nice enough to check me in, this time). I guess my question is, does anyone else have an issue with Web check-in from home and, if so, do you know of a fix or work-around?

Thanks.
I have problems as well. On my 2 laptops whenever I enter the Conf. number and departure city and hit check-in, it always comes back "Not connected to the Internet". Every since I switched to Cox High Speed this has been happening. It always works from my parents computer (I have to call them to check me in) however they have have Verizon for their internet. I've emailed the pass bureau and always get some cocky response that basically says that I'm not doing it right. Funny that I use it all the time at work or others computers (without Cox) and don't seem to have a problem. I did send an email back to them stating that maybe they "should look within to find the problem and stop assuming that others are the ones who are inept."

I have problems as well. On my 2 laptops whenever I enter the Conf. number and departure city and hit check-in, it always comes back "Not connected to the Internet". Every since I switched to Cox High Speed this has been happening. It always works from my parents computer (I have to call them to check me in) however they have have Verizon for their internet. I've emailed the pass bureau and always get some cocky response that basically says that I'm not doing it right. Funny that I use it all the time at work or others computers (without Cox) and don't seem to have a problem. I did send an email back to them stating that maybe they "should look within to find the problem and stop assuming that others are the ones who are inept."

The strange part is that I can use the ETC to list for my flights, check PBTs, etc., I just can't use it to check-in.

I just had this problem as well, and I called our help desk and they could only tell me that the website was working fine so it must be my internet provider. Called the internet provider and they said it was the website, I swear you would have thought I was calling a US Airways outsourced call center. Well, through alot of button punching on my own I figured out what was wrong. I opened my internet options and re-set the options for viewing secure sights. Something had been unchecked, and it was causing my computer to not recognize the ETC secure website.

I just had this problem as well, and I called our help desk and they could only tell me that the website was working fine so it must be my internet provider. Called the internet provider and they said it was the website, I swear you would have thought I was calling a US Airways outsourced call center. Well, through alot of button punching on my own I figured out what was wrong. I opened my internet options and re-set the options for viewing secure sights. Something had been unchecked, and it was causing my computer to not recognize the ETC secure website.
Hmm, you might be on to something here, I'll have to check in to that. Out of curiosity do you have Cox?

happy01,

Thanks for your input. If you can follow-up here, I'd appreciate it. When I go to Internet Options, I have 7 tabs... they are General, Security, Privacy, Content, Connections, Programs, Advanced. I've tried re-working my Security options, but to no avail. If you can re-trace your steps exactly and let me know, I'd appreciate it.

happy01,

Thanks for your input. If you can follow-up here, I'd appreciate it. When I go to Internet Options, I have 7 tabs... they are General, Security, Privacy, Content, Connections, Programs, Advanced. I've tried re-working my Security options, but to no avail. If you can re-trace your steps exactly and let me know, I'd appreciate it.
USstew23, I do have Cox.

MAAMARCH04- Select your internet options then click on the advanced tab. There will then be a long list of options w/boxes next to them. You need to make sure the following three boxes are checked: Use SSL 2.0, Use SSL 3.0, and Use TLS 1.0. Use SSL 2.0 was unchecked on mine, and once I checked this box I was able to get into the ETC to check in. I will forewarn you that it seems I have had to go back more than once and keep doing this, I'm not sure what is causing it.

online checkin has never worked for me, though every other part of the ETC works just fine. Slower than hell but it works.

Just FYI SSL is the acronym for "Secure Socket Layer" A brief but accurate explanation appears below.

"Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL uses a cryptographic system that uses two keys to encrypt data − a public key known to everyone and a private or secret key known only to the recipient of the message. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card numbers.By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http:.
Another protocol for transmitting data securely over the World Wide Web is Secure HTTP (S-HTTP). Whereas SSL creates a secure connection between a client and a server, over which any amount of data can be sent securely, S-HTTP is designed to transmit individual messages securely. SSL and S-HTTP, therefore, can be seen as complementary rather than competing technologies. Both protocols have been approved by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) as a standard."

SSL is the technology that allows us to order stuff relatively safely over the internet. Hope that helps. If you visit a secure website you usually have to have a version of SSL enabled which happy01 was nice enough to explain where to find it.
Thanks, Piney. Didn't know what it actually meant I just knew it was something that had to be checked. Next time I'll ask you instead of bouncing back and forth between the help desks.

MAAMARCH04- Select your internet options then click on the advanced tab. There will then be a long list of options w/boxes next to them. You need to make sure the following three boxes are checked: Use SSL 2.0, Use SSL 3.0, and Use TLS 1.0. Use SSL 2.0 was unchecked on mine, and once I checked this box I was able to get into the ETC to check in. I will forewarn you that it seems I have had to go back more than once and keep doing this, I'm not sure what is causing it.

happy01,

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. You were right, as the box next to SSL 2.0 was not checked (SSL 3.0 & TLS 1.0 were already checked). I checked the box next to SSL 2.0, as you instructed, but that did not work and I still cannot use Web Check-in. Any other suggestions?

Piney,

You seem pretty computer savvy.....any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

More like semi Savvy. Couple of questions if I may.

What Internet Brower(s) are you running? Versions?

Don't know if ETC site is JAVA Enabled or not I suspect it is as our internal web site for payroll is.

You may not have the right version of JAVA or it may not be enabled on your PC. I assume it is a PC not a Mac?

Also the level of your security can play a part. Do you have a firewall software? You may have to disable it to access web check-in due to the firewall and some stuff above.

Did you call your internal Help Desk? What specs did they give you in terms of settings?

Hope this helps

Thanks PineyBob,

Your question about "What Internet Browser(s) are you running?" made a light bulb turn on in my head. I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and that solved my problem. I can now check-in for flights through the ETC, I just have to go on to The Hub through Mozilla Firefox to do so. That was the "work around" I was looking for. :up: