Kiosk Check In for exit row seat

Can gate agents judge eligibility for emergency exit seating while boarding?

The boarding passes do have 'exit' printed on them.

Upon web check-in, there is a pop screen that advises that customer that it's an exit seat and it visually shows the criteria. My understanding that this is only available if you are an elite traveler, under the assumption that elite travelers are aware of exit seating criteria, but it's not fool proof. This has not resulted in a massive problem, however it's been looked at from the marketing and IT side and there is a change coming, thanks to feedback from FA's on the focus group.

If it's taken away from Elite FFs, another %20 will walk away. I have no reason at all to sit on a US RJ without the ability to reserve the exit row in advance.

Noting that I've been able to do this as an elite on AA, UA, CO, DL, forever. And US East forever. It was never a problem pre-Tempe.

OTOH, they were not handing out US1 to 17 year olds, either. I'm sure that means there are some 12 year olds who got US2 gratis, and an infant who is US3.

This has not resulted in a massive problem, however it's been looked at from the marketing and IT side and there is a change coming, thanks to feedback from FA's on the focus group.

Just a few thoughts.

One, the F/A's have known about this rule and it's ramifications for YEARS. What idiot was allowed to implement this policy and who does that idiot report to? In other words, how far up the totem pole does the stupidity extend?

Two, define what constitutes a "massive problem". People in the exit row need to be able to read and write English and each of them must be willing and able to at least attempt to evacuate the plane. Without help. In the overwing area that means to be able to lift and remove the plug-style door on their own on the assumption that no one else in that row survived or were otherwise so injured they cannot do anything to be of assistance. So, the little old lady travelling with her child the road warrior doesn't qualify, nor any other of numerous situations I could identify easily, such as the deaf person who can read and thinks that reading and being in good shape is enough. Well, how do you know what to do and when? Do you think that there is a preprinted book on board that the FA can toss at you and say read this in the next 3 minutes? So just what constitutes a massive problem? Delays blamed to inflight because they had to follow those pesky FAA rules? Fines from the FAA? What?

Since when should Marketing, IT or any other division not directly involved in the operations of the aircraft have a primary role in determining what goes on onboard the aircraft? When these people and their bosses lack any clue about the various rules are and how they apply in real life they should not be in any position to tell the folks who do know the rules what they are to do, except of course to follow the rules.

Can gate agents judge eligibility for emergency exit seating while boarding?

Yes. Last I knew they needed to make a slightly diffenent entry to get a boarding pass to issue for an exit row and a few other seats on the aircraft. The better question is do gate agents attempt to determine whether or not a person qualifies to sit there and what does the company do to any gate agent who fails to properly limit who is issued a boarding pass for the exit row. Most times there is such a rush to get the plane out that any such failure is not written up or it is otherwise blamed on the FA's who can't defend themselves for hours (if at all) because they are in the air with the passengers the gate simply wanted gone. Sort of like 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Upon web check-in, there is a pop screen that advises that customer that it's an exit seat and it visually shows the criteria. My understanding that this is only available if you are an elite traveler, under the assumption that elite travelers are aware of exit seating criteria,.

There are many "elites" that are not eligible either.

And "Elites" I hate that word. Makes you sound like you think you are better than everyone else.

Look up elite in the dictionary. I am quite sure it doesn't say flies alot and that is all that you do is fly alot.

This explains why I keep getting all these pax in the exit row that are clearly NOT exit row qualified. Once again, some
one in Tempe is NOT doing their job. Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

sky high states: I'm irritated that I dont even know the POLICY & PROCEDURE for this. I've been saying for years, you obtain those seats at the AIRPORT. I hate giving out misinformation, (unintentionally).

only stating opinions

Exit row seats should NOT be given via kiosk or home computer!!!

Totally disagree. It's one of the few things left for "Elite Flyers."

There's no real extra work for the "less then 1% of CP, Platinum or Gold" loyal customers an F/A might need to re-accomodate.

And for the record, I believe only Elite Flyers can select from home and get it by checking in on line. Non-elites need to go to the airport.

And "Elites" I hate that word. Makes you sound like you think you are better than everyone else.

Look up elite in the dictionary. I am quite sure it doesn't say flies alot and that is all that you do is fly alot.

Do you work for US? Are you part of the management? Or does the war on "Frequent" flyers run all the way through the ranks?

(I left "elites" off since it seems to be a sore spot.)

Totally disagree. It's one of the few things left for "Elite Flyers."

There's no real extra work for the "less then 1% of CP, Platinum or Gold" loyal customers an F/A might need to re-accomodate.

Oh, yeah? Well, evidently you have never had to deal with a FF who is not eligible (for whatever reason) to sit in the exit row, but has been given an exit row seat because the agent figures "it's not my job. I'll let the f/as sort it out on the plane." These are the same agents who give families with small children single seats spread all over the a/c, then tell the parents that "the f/as will reseat people so that you can all sit together."

The FAA is VERY specific about who can and can not sit in an exit row. Failure to move ineligible people can result in fines both to the company and to the individual f/a.

By the way, the reason most exit row customers end up being FFers is because they are the ones who know about the extra legroom. They get to the airport early to get these seats, or they are allowed to select them from the website--a questionable practice, at best. It does not have to be the actual gate agent who verifies that the person is eligible to sit in the exit row. Anyone who can issue a boarding pass--ticket counter agent, Club employee (AAdmiral's, President's, Red Carpet, etc)--can verify eligibility.

Piece of trivia, an exit row customer is not required to speak English. They just have to "understand" English. I'm not sure how one determines that. If you ask the person, "Do you understand English?", and they smile and nod vigorously, that's the end of the discussion--for fear that you will discriminate or offend. Of course, then at 36,000 feet, you ask them "What may I offer you to drink?" They smile and nod vigorously at you. Oh well. :blink:

Oh, yeah? Well, evidently you have never had to deal with a FF who is not eligible (for whatever reason) to sit in the exit row, but has been given an exit row seat because the agent figures "it's not my job. I'll let the f/as sort it out on the plane." These are the same agents who give families with small children single seats spread all over the a/c, then tell the parents that "the f/as will reseat people so that you can all sit together."

Well.......I for one would NEVER underestimate the value of what F/A's do. In fact, I've often argued an F/A's job is tremendously undervalued because of their contct with the people that ultimately pay everyone's bills, the customers.

So, if we followed that logic and agree with it, and I do believe it, then the next question would be, "how prevelant is this problem, where VFFers (forget US5s for a moment) are not qualified to sit in exit row but end up there?"

Now, I don't fly US much anymore...for the reasons I've b****ed and moaned about on here for a while now...but the times I've been on this year and (combing my memory) last year, I can't remember EVER seeing someone removed from an exit row because they weren't qualified to sit there.

HOWEVER, if it's a constant problem, then I would agree with you, the rules should be changed. But, I've just not seen the issue as it's being cast here....and I fly 3 to 5 times a week. Granted, much of it in F class on main line, but make no mistake, I get my fair share or RJs and Turbo Props...so...

If it's an occassional issue, then good business would dictate "lets not major in the minors and risk pi$$ing a very valuable pool pf pax off.

Its kind of like the static electricity issue in the fuel tanks of airplanes....it's "permanently fixable" but at a very, very significant cost. The airlines have decided the "cost" of fixing is more then living with the risk.

At some point, potentially irritating people isn't worth it....again, until a professional like yourself can say, "this happens every week, I have to remove a "VFFer" (so we don't irritate TwiceBaked with the word "elite")"

Make sense?

For starters, the company via it's website or an company employee has technically violated the FAR by even issuing the boarding pass to someone who is not eligible. The FAR states that it must be determined that the passenger is eligible to sit in the exit row BEFORE issuing the boarding pass. Consequently, the person who is collecting the boarding passes or operating the electronic gate reader during boarding is supposed to verify that the holder of the boarding pass is eligible (people are known to swap boarding passes, you know). And, the f/as are charged with verifying before the door is closed that eveyone in the exit rows is eligible and has verbally stated that they are aware they are sitting in an exit row, and they are willing to operate the exit in an emergency.

I'm not saying that it is always FFers who have to be moved (but it does happen, and they always threaten to file a complaint if you tell them they have to move), but people have to be removed from the exit rows frequently. It's not always a result of them being given a boarding pass for that row. They are seated in another row and see an empty seat with extra leg room and move there. We are also supposed to watch for this during flight as well. The FAR is clear. If you ain't eligible, you can't sit in the exit row at any time.

I'm not saying that it is always FFers who have to be moved (but it does happen, and they always threaten to file a complaint if you tell them they have to move), but people have to be removed from the exit rows frequently. It's not always a result of them being given a boarding pass for that row. They are seated in another row and see an empty seat with extra leg room and move there. We are also supposed to watch for this during flight as well. The FAR is clear. If you ain't eligible, you can't sit in the exit row at any time.

I would say the following on this topic....

A.) The company BETTER be sticking up for F/As who move people for almost ANY reason, I mean, at the end of the day, I've always been taught, "when I'm in the cabin, the cabin belongs to the flight crew, NOT the pax." So, the company should defend you, the flight professional, no matter what, but ABSOLUTELY when there is an issue you regard as a safety threat.

B.) With technology being the way it is, (with the possible exception of US IT) there is no reason that once a pax gets moved from an exit row, they are "marked" and can not print the BP or check in at the counter.

C.) If a pax switches boarding passes....that's easy....check their BP, and if they are in the wrong seat, move 'em....if they are in the right seat, refer to "A.)"

My point is, I don't think we have to ruin it for everyone because of the minority....I mean, there's enough of that crap going on now. The KEY here is that the company needs to empower you, the in-flight professional and STAND BEHIND YOU if a pax becomes silly with threats.

we all know that the exit rows are given in advance to full fare paxs and preferred flyers.. even if you get the exit seat at home and you dont check any bags or you do at the skycap the gate agent is supposed to be sure exit folks boarding are eligible for them of course only having one agent boarding and closing a flight on most east flights you may get by but the f/a s will be sure you are eligible.. there are checks and balances... and believe when i have dead heading flight crews or airline employees i always sit them in the exit row... safety first and the flying public would need to understand that.. makes me laugh when a customer comes up and says i have a bad leg and i need leg room and wants the exit row. what we should do is what AA UA DL and maybe the rest... depending on the fare you paid when you request a seat a map will appear and you can only pick from those seats.. frequent flyers should not be penalized for booking 3 days in advance when someone who booked 5 months ago gets the seats of their choice and the Chairman gets 33E on a 757

frequent flyers should not be penalized for booking 3 days in advance when someone who booked 5 months ago gets the seats of their choice and the Chairman gets 33E on a 757

Huh?

The booking the seat in advance program is in place largely because it saves the airline money in the form of fewer employees. Imagine if you will that everyone has to personally appear in front of an agent to get a boarding pass. How many additional employees or kiosks would it take to do that on day of departure even if folks are not checking luggage?

The airlines may hold out a few seats on the seat map for last minute bookings, but not that many. Asking them to not have FF'ers end up in middle seats for last minute travel is, IMO, unreasonable.

For starters, the company via it's website or an company employee has technically violated the FAR by even issuing the boarding pass to someone who is not eligible. The FAR states that it must be determined that the passenger is eligible to sit in the exit row BEFORE issuing the boarding pass. Consequently, the person who is collecting the boarding passes or operating the electronic gate reader during boarding is supposed to verify that the holder of the boarding pass is eligible (people are known to swap boarding passes, you know). And, the f/as are charged with verifying before the door is closed that eveyone in the exit rows is eligible and has verbally stated that they are aware they are sitting in an exit row, and they are willing to operate the exit in an emergency.

I don't think that's true, or Southwest would have been violating FAA regulations every single day for the last 30 years.