West Employees Get There 3% Taken Away By The IAM

FlyDCJets

Advanced
Mar 21, 2006
Early this week, Mx Programmers, Tech Writers, Mx Schedulers, QA Auditors, Mx Training Instructors, and Material Planners here in PHX were told that the 3% was taken away by the IAM, and there salary will be frozen until 2009 when the contract expires and is up for renewal. My question, since this 3% was based on previous years performance review, and they are not currently under the IAM nor pay monthly dues, why did there pay raise get denied?

First of all the IAM does not take salaries away.

Only the MTC instructors are under the CBA, all others at HP have to be negotiated and transitioned to the CBA.

The IAM CBA calls for raises every year, so how can they be frozen till 2009 when the CBA becomes amendable?

If you are not under the CBA nor paying dues and are employees at will the company can do as they please to you.

Once again the company sets the wages and pays you, not the IAM, if you are under a CBA which you are not yet, then the company has to follow the terms of the CBA.

Seems like BS to me, since I have poked too many holes in your post.

First of all the IAM does not take salaries away.

Only the MTC instructors are under the CBA, all others at HP have to be negotiated and transitioned to the CBA.

The IAM CBA calls for raises every year, so how can they be frozen till 2009 when the CBA becomes amendable?

If you are not under the CBA nor paying dues and are employees at will the company can do as they please to you.

Once again the company sets the wages and pays you, not the IAM, if you are under a CBA which you are not yet, then the company has to follow the terms of the CBA.

Seems like BS to me, since I have poked too many holes in your post.

Well, if it is only the Mx Instructos, then why were all of the HP Mx Programmers, Mx Schedulers, Material Planners, Tech Writers, and QA Auditors told by there Directors on Wedensday that they will ot be receiving there 3% because they fall under the IAM? allot of unhappy folks right now...

Well, if it is only the Mx Instructos, then why were all of the HP Mx Programmers, Mx Schedulers, Material Planners, Tech Writers, and QA Auditors told by there Directors on Wedensday that they will ot be receiving there 3% because they fall under the IAM? allot of unhappy folks right now...
What director? Don't Forget MOC

The Instructors are under a CBA, everyone else is an employee at will until you are transitioned into being covered by the CBA.

If you are an employee at will the company can do what they please to you, the IAM does not tell the company to cut your wages and take your money.

Go look up the facts of what really happened and then get back to us.

Well, if it is only the Mx Instructors, then why were all of the HP Mx Programmers, Mx Schedulers, Material Planners, Tech Writers, and QA Auditors told by there Directors on Wedensday that they will ot be receiving there 3% because they fall under the IAM? allot of unhappy folks right now...
These were graded positions. Typically, bonuses and raises are based upon the fact these positions were not covered by a CBA. Since these positions went UNION for what ever reason, then company denies the raises and says its hands are tied because of the UNION and pay is tied to negotiated contracts, not the whim of the company. It is their way of :mf_boff: you and not having to give you a hug or kiss. It is chicken#### of them to do that, but it is the way they do business. If they give you the 3% then they also have to give you the annual increase that is called for in the CBA. They feel you are double dipping.

These were graded positions. Typically, bonuses and raises are based upon the fact these positions were not covered by a CBA. Since these positions went UNION for what ever reason, then company denies the raises and says its hands are tied because of the UNION and pay is tied to negotiated contracts, not the whim of the company. It is their way of :mf_boff: you and not having to give you a hug or kiss. It is chicken#### of them to do that, but it is the way they do business. If they give you the 3% then they also have to give you the annual increase that is called for in the CBA. They feel you are double dipping.
Yes but they do not fall under CBA till transition is done. The status quo in their eye's is realy a status freeze.

Yes but they do not fall under CBA till transition is done. The status quo in their eye's is realy a status freeze.
Doesn't make any difference to the company. You were placed under a class and craft that is covered by a CBA, even if it hasn't happened yet. The bean counters have already included you into that group. Since you had no CBA to protect you before the decision, you aren't protected. You were a graded employee and they can call the shot anyway they want. That is why your group was able to get merit increases and bonuses when other groups covered by a CBA did not receive any increase or bonus during the past 5 years. The company is not going to let you have the best of two worlds. It won't even be a transition concern.

Almost like the handle says: Been There Had It Done To Me

PS: Lots of luck, but I think you are grasping at straws.

The IAM does not tell the company what to do to employees at will not covered under the IAM CBA.

The IAM does not tell the company what to do to employees at will not covered under the IAM CBA.
Key words are: Not currently covered by the CBA. Advice for MOCA320: Go ask any of the AWA QC Inspectors that were in graded positions prior to the NMB declaring the IBT as the representing union and including inspectors in the same class and craft with the aircraft mechanics. The inspectors were in the same boat that you are trying to keep afloat right now. You need a PFD!

:angry: I am not sticking up for the IAM. But this pay owed to these people since April should be paid now! This is the New US Airways trying to cheat people out of money owed. Its too bad that US management always has to blame their stupidity on someone else. This is the way Doug wants it.
Us Airways will loose some very good employees, some 20 plus years and some with less that bend over backwards to help make things run smooth. There is much more I would like to say but I will say it at work. See if I do anything to make things run smooth!!!!!

And you all worshipped Doogie, welcome to the real world of Al "Head in the Way" Hemenway and Jerry Glass.

All,

After having seen this thread started last night...I made it a goal to talk to folks whom have been on this side of things in the past.

I chatted with folks from MOC , Planning , Material Control and the alike. All of these groups were acreeded into the IAM back around 2000...and until an actual contract was agreed too in 2002 , then formally signed , Annual Reviews continued for them...and for well over two years , No merit raises were seen by any of them. This was NOT the IAM's doing , but the complete and total choice of the companies.

The company was in NO hurry and had NO desire to elevate peoples salary...as their Union wages were factored to the closest part of the negotiated scale once the conract was done. Date of hire and your current pre-acreetion salary had everything to do with where you would fall in on the Union scale.

For example...If you current wage was $19.00 per hour at 10 years on the job...and the Union Scale was $18.00 at 8 years on the job...then 21.50 at 11 years on the job...the 8 year person would go forward on the scale NOT backwards. Some may gain a buck or two...others could easily remain status quo...Nobody will go backwards if past history holds true?

Not recieving a merit raise while still technically and in actuallity an "At Will Employee" is purely the companies doing...Don't be an idiot people..The Unions negotiate contracts and administer them...They do not influence the pay and benefits of those not officialy covered by a CBA.

Latest posts