WestJet codeshare deal with AA & AE

FrugalFlyerv2.0

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
The codeshare relationship, which is subject to regulatory approvals, will allow American to place its AA* code on WestJet flights, and WestJet to place its WS* code on flights of American Airlines and American Eagle.

The placement of AA* code on WestJet flights will provide American's customers seamless connecting service to up to 20 Canadian cities not currently served by American or American Eagle. WestJet will initially place its WS* code on American or American Eagle flights from Canada to Chicago and Boston, with expanded service throughout American Airlines network expected in the near future. The codeshare agreement will make it easier and more convenient for customers to connect from WestJet to American's global route network and from American to WestJet's Canadian operations.

press release

The codeshare relationship, which is subject to regulatory approvals, will allow American to place its AA* code on WestJet flights, and WestJet to place its WS* code on flights of American Airlines and American Eagle.

The placement of AA* code on WestJet flights will provide American's customers seamless connecting service to up to 20 Canadian cities not currently served by American or American Eagle. WestJet will initially place its WS* code on American or American Eagle flights from Canada to Chicago and Boston, with expanded service throughout American Airlines network expected in the near future. The codeshare agreement will make it easier and more convenient for customers to connect from WestJet to American's global route network and from American to WestJet's Canadian operations.

press release

What operations does AA/Eagle have from Canada to Boston? All I know of is YYZ; YUL was discontinued several years back. It would be nice to have more non-stops though.

Josh

What operations does AA/Eagle have from Canada to Boston? All I know of is YYZ; YUL was discontinued several years back. It would be nice to have more non-stops though.

Josh
I suppose its a start, with more details/destinations to be announced later. I'm surprised that MIA was not one of the first cities on the list, ORD was kind of logical. WS is a LCC that loves code sharing. In addition to AA, other 1-world codeshare parterns for WS are BA and CX in addition to Skyteam members DL and AF.

This is good... not like we are going to start flying to places like Winnipeg with our own a/c anytime soon. And if we can get them into Oneworld maybe it will balance out the competition a bit with Air Canada already a partner of United's.

Given that DL also signed an agreement with Westjet, it is likely that Westjet - just like Gol and AS - are happy to play AA against DL... and stay unaligned as long as they have two US airlines fighting over them.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, don't let facts confuse anyone there.... DL & Westjet annouced the interline, but codesharing appears to have gone nowhere. Then again, mayve codewhoring within Sabre is a lot easier to implement than trying to do it between Sabre & Deltamatic...