What American Airlines Can Do At Love Field:

corl737

Veteran
Jun 13, 2005
I've always believed in providing FACTS whenever they were supportable and ensuring what I couldn't provided references to were identified as opinion. This being said, here are the FACTS regarding the terms of American Airlines' lease at Dallas Love Field. This is from a letter I received from the Dallas Director of Aviation after inquiring about this specific subject:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

October 26, 2005

Mr. Corl Lxxxx*
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

RE: American Airlines Lease at Dallas Love Field

Dear Mr. Lxxxx:

In 1997, American Airlines was the assignee of a lease that included the East Concourse of the terminal building at Love Field. That particular lease did not permit commercial airline passenger service but required the space to be utilized for aviation use purposes, including office space use.

In 2001, American Airlines and the City of Dallas executed a new 10-year lease agreement for terminal building space in the East Concourse at Love Field which permits commercial airline passenger service. The space leased under this agreement includes three (3) airline passenger gates, passenger gate lounge areas and support space. At the time this new lease was executed, the lease discussed above was terminated.

I hope this clarifies your understanding of the permitted uses of the current American Airlines lease at Dallas Love Field.

Sincerely,

Kenneth H. Gwyn
Director of Aviation

*X's inserted where the information isn't really relevant to the discussion.

I've always believed in providing FACTS whenever they were supportable and ensuring what I couldn't provided references to were identified as opinion. This being said, here are the FACTS regarding the terms of American Airlines' lease at Dallas Love Field. This is from a letter I received from the Dallas Director of Aviation after inquiring about this specific subject:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

October 26, 2005

Mr. Corl Lxxxx*
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

RE: American Airlines Lease at Dallas Love Field

Dear Mr. Lxxxx:

In 1997, American Airlines was the assignee of a lease that included the East Concourse of the terminal building at Love Field. That particular lease did not permit commercial airline passenger service but required the space to be utilized for aviation use purposes, including office space use.

In 2001, American Airlines and the City of Dallas executed a new 10-year lease agreement for terminal building space in the East Concourse at Love Field which permits commercial airline passenger service. The space leased under this agreement includes three (3) airline passenger gates, passenger gate lounge areas and support space. At the time this new lease was executed, the lease discussed above was terminated.

I hope this clarifies your understanding of the permitted uses of the current American Airlines lease at Dallas Love Field.

Sincerely,

Kenneth H. Gwyn
Director of Aviation
*X's inserted where the information isn't really relevant to the discussion.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Corl737,

BUT, WHAT does the "above" ,have to due with the fact that the WRIGHT AMMENDMENT, will NOT be overturned "any YEAR soon" !!!!!

(Something YOU and I wholeheartedly have agreed on, and I assume STILL agree upon) ??

NH/BB's

Thanks for getting actual facts, Corl.

Oh, and interesting article in the DMN today, for NHBB and everyone else:

Coming Soon: a Wright Faceoff
Nov. 10 Senate hearing to pit Southwest founder, American chief
By TODD J. GILLMAN and SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News
Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Wright amendment showdown moves to the Senate on Nov. 10, when leaders of rival airlines face off at the first congressional hearing in eight years on restrictions at Dallas Love Field.

Southwest Airlines Co. founder Herb Kelleher and American Airlines Inc. chief executive Gerard Arpey have been pitching their views behind the scenes for months.

But the formality of a Senate hearing pushes the issue to the front burner, bringing the prospect of sparks, glares and verbal jabs at the witness table.

Mr. Kelleher "knows a thing or two about the Wright amendment," said Ed Stewart, a spokesman for Southwest, which wants to fly around the country from Love Field, its home airport. "Half the battle is just letting people know how ridiculous this law is."

American spokesman Tim Wagner said his boss also "looks forward to testifying for the committee on the history and impact of the Wright amendment, on not just aviation in the North Texas region but also the United States and the world."

Aides at the Senate Commerce Committee's aviation subcommittee have been finalizing details for days. Congressional aides and officials for both airlines confirmed the date of the hearing, which could formally be announced as soon as today.

Last fall, Southwest launched a campaign to lift the 1979 ban on long-haul flights from Love. American says that if Southwest wants to offer such flights, it should compete at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.

D/FW officials argue that lifting the ban would threaten the region's top economic engine – and violate the pact that created the airport three decades ago.

They've also been invited to testify, and D/FW chief operating officer Kevin Cox said the airport welcomes the chance to take on Southwest's "self-serving efforts to repeal the Wright amendment."

The last congressional hearing on Wright was in 1997, when Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., pushed through legislation opening Love to nonstop flights from Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi. The original deal restricted flights to Texas and adjoining states.

BUT, WHAT does the "above" ,have to due with the fact that the WRIGHT AMMENDMENT, will NOT be overturned "any YEAR soon" !!!!!
Emotion wins the battle of public relations but you've got to have facts as well to win on Capitol hill. The importance of clearing up this issue is to counter any old arguments that claim AA is disadvantaged at Love Field because, though have gates, they can't use them! That, as we now know, is patently false. As the Wright Promoters grow weary of being proven wrong at every turn their will and ability to defend this arcane law will wither. To paraphrase an old cliche: It's a widebody long-haul, not a commuter flight.

Yes, during the "Battle of Legend" from 1997-2000 AA's lease prohibited the use of their space as passenger gates and therefore they were forced to share space with Continental Express. Now, however, that issue is resolved and they (AA) can do whatever they want without asking permission from Love Field, the FAA, or whomever.

AA is committed to paying $335,000/year through 2011 to maintain exclusive rights to those 3 gates. With any watering down of the Wright Amendment I'd be very surprised if they didn't move a few flights (up to 30?) to Love as a "competive" gesture since they're already paying for the gate space. Still, to do much more would involve a great deal of expense.

I can't believe I'm saying this: I'm actually going to put my TiVO on to record CSPAN on November 10th, the date of the Senate hearings on the Wright Amendment. :shock:

Thanks for getting actual facts, Corl.
My pleasure. It's all about knowledge and whatever I learn to be hard truth I will share with you. Dallas Love Field was very receptive to my inquiry, probably because they knew that as a public entity they were obligated to provide the information. Now if I can just get DFW to respond to the letter I wrote inquiring about the conditions associated with their "free rent" deal. :rolleyes:

Coming Soon: a Wright Faceoff
Nov. 10 Senate hearing to pit Southwest founder, American chief
By TODD J. GILLMAN and SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
[...]
D/FW officials argue that lifting the ban would threaten the region's top economic engine – and violate the pact that created the airport three decades ago. [emphasis added]
[...]

Once again, its all about FACTS. Quoting from the 1968 Regional Airport Concurrent Bond Ordinance (google that one for some interesting background reading!), the cities of Dallas and Fort Worth were to close their airports to commercial traffic "if legally permissible."

In court, case after case yielded judgments that Southwest Airlines had the legal authority to continue to operate at Dallas Love Field as long as it was operated as an airport. Thus, no matter how much noise DFW makes about a "pact" it was not a legally enforceable agreement.

Corl737;

I'm glad you'll have your TiVO on.

Your (w)right, AA is NOT disadvantaged !!

I don't know how many times I can agree with you.

The ol' sayin' goes, "be careful what you wish for", meaning It is up on capital hill that (for now) WN will LOSE the battlle of the "WA" !!

WHY ?

Because, HERB, or no HERB, AA has the "political juice"(definition....POWER....INFLUENCE), which I believe YOU(reluctantly) agreed with me, on this point !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are'nt BOTH TX senators(PRUNE FACE) KBH, and John "whatshisname" in AAs corner ???

As we know, there are 3 Texas "hometown" airlines,..............AA..........WN...+...CO.

It will become clear ("wrightly or wrongly") who is Texas's real "hometown" airline !

What is "FAIR" and what is "FACTUAL"(in todays world) are not necessarily the same thing !

Corl, If It's clear, that my predictions are wrong, I'll,
A. send you a "PM" stateing so,
and
B. post the same, for everyone else to see !!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

NH/BB's

Because, HERB, or no HERB, AA has the "political juice"(definition....POWER....INFLUENCE), which I believe YOU(reluctantly) agreed with me, on this point !!!

yeah but---------
Mr. Bear
its obvious we have the money and money talks :unsure: