What If........

SparrowHawk

Veteran
Nov 30, 2009
Was watching a feature on the life of Steve Jobs last night and a thought occurred to me. What if a visionary leader like Jobs ran US Airways?? What would the company look like? How would it differ if at all?

Steve had the ability to charge a premium in a commodity market with Apple. I wonder what he would.could have done with an airline like US>

You already have two... Doug and Scott... Their vision is for employees to work for next nothing to keep the airline afloat. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if their vision was for people to pay to work at the airline. You know they do charge AWA flight attendants for the ability to look at their schedule and do bidding from home.

Was watching a feature on the life of Steve Jobs last night and a thought occurred to me. What if a visionary leader like Jobs ran US Airways?? What would the company look like? How would it differ if at all?

Steve had the ability to charge a premium in a commodity market with Apple. I wonder what he would.could have done with an airline like US>

I dunno about the likes of him (and genius that he was, he could also be a bit, um,"quirky"), nut maybe someone like Gordon Bethune?

Oops, US could have had him, but (while accounts vary) did did not fit the CCY mold. Too bad, but a good thing indeed for the people of CO.

US would have had a hell of a RES system.....

I'm figuring it wouldn't be SHARES. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please let's don't turn this into a Trash Doug & Scott thread. It's obvious enough that even Stevie Wonder can see that Doug and Scott will NEVER be Steve Jobs if they live to be 1,000. Best they can aspire to is Gordon Bethune and they have a ways to go to catch old Gordon the Blowhard.

Notice that he did not own an airline.
If he saw a vision for " Apple Airlines" , he would have started it.
He definitely had the money to do so.
Nice thought though

wopr

Alas you're correct. It can be fun to speculate though.

And speculate, I shall...

What would have been Job's product differentiation? Frankly, there is a reason as to why the airline business has become a race to the bottom as the flying public wants cheap seats which have reduced air travel to a homogeneous, near commodity good. Not to say there aren't niche markets as with JetBlue who attempts to present itself as younger, happening, technologically advanced in-flight entertainment, but the majority of the general public would prefer cheap fares, while the business traveler desires frequent flyer miles, convenient times, upgrades and more non-stop flights to business centers.

Plenty of start-up airlines attempted to tap into that lucrative business traveler with almost luxurious service, only to have legacy airlines beat the new competition with 3X points on those same routes, free upgrades, money losing fares, etc. until beaten into Chapter 7. Some do even more with expensive legal maneuvering, as a case in point with the bAAstards who attacked Legend Airlines they dared to fly all first class DC-9s from DAL avoiding the Wright Amendment restrictions. I have probably disgressed too far from the topic, as Steve Job could have afforded to take-on AA and subtained heavy losses for decades, but why bother, as he was in the business to make money!

Jobs was able to create a product which didn't exist or much like JetBlue, found a niche market which appeals to younger, happening, tech savvy people. Think of it this way... PCs still out-sell Macs by a large ratio, and it isn't because the PCs are better, much like the number of basic airline seats are out-selling seats on airlines which offer IFE and free Wi-Fi... it is about other factors, and costs being a large part of that equation.

Finally, Jobs would have made Carl Icahn look like a saint amongst the airline employees. Jobs was abusive, mercurial, and highly demanding, and he contracted-out pretty much nearly every unskilled and semi-skilled work position possible, especially in manufacturing. I think he would have had little patience for labor unions, and would have rewarded only those particularly talented executives who exploited a brand and created new product lines for which the public was willing to pay a premium. Anyone else would have been a simple cog in the machine. Here's a crazy idea... Jobs would have created a "virtual airline".. tricked-out planes, contracted nearly the entire labor force through a wholly owned subsidiary much like Delta Global Services and Worldwide Services (formerly owned by American). Someone starts talking union, "Your company's services are no longer needed."

Personally, I think the best airline CEOs understand that having friendly, helpful and pleasant workers do not cost anything extra directly, and why Gordon Bethune is considered to be a God amongst airline executives... but that's not something which can be taught in business school.

So Excogitates Jester.

Reactions: 5 people
Make no mistake, Steve Jobs was a brilliant CEO, truly a giant in our times.

He was also very lucky. As Lefty Gomez once said "I'd rather be lucky than good"

Jobs' personality dominated his company (twice) and was lucky to have this interwebs thingy explode during his second tour @ Apple.

Jobs as an airline CEO just would not have worked because the unions would have run him out of town.

Simple fact.

But this thread is a fun idea so I'll play along.

I believe Jobs would've created a 'virtual airline' whereby the only thing he owned was the name and farmed out everything else. A premium product that customers would be happy to pay for, much like those LH premium flights between cities where passengers w/ cash actually want to fly.

BA attempted this a few years ago but the company's historical culture defeated the effort.

Since you mention Jetblue. There is also Virgin America. One can put those two close to a vision that Steve Jobs would have had. Those airlines have come up with new visions of what travel should be like. Again though, the airline industry is what it is. Those airlines that provide absolute luxury, such as Etihad have never been profitable, being sustained by their sheiks. But aside from that, I recently watched a news session that DP had with the mechanics. One tech asked about the A320 and Gogo inflight. Mr. Parker went on to elaborate that so far Gogo has made no profit, that it is nice that it comes on the A321, and that it would be too expensive to install on the A320. He did say though that he is considering putting it on the A320 because the business traveler that does use it would rather choose an airline that offers it across the entire fleet. So in order not to loose that passenger he would definitely put it on the A320.

The above again shows you the (follower) mindset of this CEO. Granted that business need to generate money, not everything is about how to squeeze a dime out of a customer. Sometimes one needs to take risks and invest in new (leading) ideas in order to capture the customer. That's how the iphone and ipad came about. That, unfortunately is not in the mentality of this CEO. The only leading risks he is willing to take is on things that take away from the customer (and employees alike). Remember the days of charging customer for water, for example.

There are airlines out there, like Delta, United, and American who have a history of "being the first to..." These airlines were leaders whose ideas everyone else followed at one point or another, but not US Airways, and definitely not under the AWA helm. US Airways has never been the leader in anything grand.

US will remain as a CHEAP follower that will only par up to someone else's product because it must, and in order not to stay too far behind.

Reactions: 2 people

Well if i had to find an airline that was run more like Apple, it would be Alaska. A friend recently told me one of their management types came in to talk to a bunch of pilots, one of the subjects was being green. The executive proceeded to say that he personally didn't give a sh!t about the environment, but the kind of passengers Alaska was after certainly did. So he said Alaska was going to be the greenest f*&%ing airline out there. They know the kind of passengers they want, how to attract them, and how to make a profit.

Reactions: 1 person

It was said that Steven Wolf was a visionary. It turned out his actual vision was to detail the airline to make it pretty sell it off and make a fortune for he and a chosen few. When the deal fell through his vision (maybe it was in fact a hallucination) turned into a nightmare. Looking back I think management stopped running USAirways as soon as the deal with United was announced and it seemed like they did every thing they could to put the airline into BK as quickly as possible after the deal fell through.

Doesn't matter who runs this airline. He/She would still get bashed by this group. Never happy and will always find something to #### about .

Reactions: 3 people
I used to always think a business only airline like Midwest could work on a larger scale, I was wrong.