What To Do If U Goes Chapter 7

madders

Senior
Nov 23, 2003
www.bookutravel.com
Hey I am wondering if U goes Ch 7 do we still show up for work at the ATO to reissue tickets for pax or do we stay home after all how will we be paid I do not see any money left over to pay ATO employees......

Any Thoughts

If other airline bankruptcies are any indication, you will not be reissuing passenger tickets.

Either other airlines will announce that they will honor unused UAIR tickets and the passenger will just contact that airline directly or the passenger will have to get in line with the other unsecured creditors at the BK court to get a refund. (Fat chance <_< )

Crewmembers should make sure they have a little but of spare cash available if that day comes and they are stuck somewhere. Hotels rooms would be taken away. When my family non-revs now I make sure they keep an alternative transport in mind just in case.

Usually the planes come back to the headquarters city... but they surely wouldnt bring them to DCA. Maybe PIT?

Not to be morbid, but if the transatlantic departures are all cancelled one night, then it would be the next day.

Light,

If nothing else, it's interesting speculation. I understand that when Braniff shut down, planes enroute got messages to return to DFW. Some did and others continued on to the destination.

If that day comes, I just hope it's one of the occasions I've got 5 hours of fuel on board - lots of possibilities....

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Light,

If nothing else, it's interesting speculation. I understand that when Braniff shut down, planes enroute got messages to return to DFW. Some did and others continued on to the destination.

If that day comes, I just hope it's one of the occasions I've got 5 hours of fuel on board - lots of possibilities....

Jim
[post="185934"][/post]​

Jim, interesting you bring up Braniff. Didn't one of the pilots tell the company he was not turning around enroute to HNL because "these people have paid to go to Honolulu and we're going to get them there"? Also, I believe in order to get the plane back to Texas passengers on the subsequent flight back chipped in for fuel and food. Amazing stories in Braniff's last days.

Eye,

I had heard the first part of that story - they continued on to HNL. The second part is new to me, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I suspect that the company would pay for the fuel to get the plane back home, though.

Of course, there are many items in the cockpit that can be removed with a simple screwdriver that would provide "collarteal" for one's last paycheck. The term "secured creditor" takes on a whole new meaning.....

Jim

Just worry about today , Chap 7 isnt gonna happen ! PERIOD! Isnt it obvious, they have every intention on making it work. Why go thru all of this and it not work.?

usfliboi,

Just speaking for me, I've never said that they don't want to make it work. I do strongly suspect that they won't be able to make it work, which is an entirely different thing.

Jim

I still remember that day clearly. Everytime I see the Braniff umbrella sitting in the office it brings back the memories of nice people. Life goes on. The umbrellas will be the first to go. Most likely the Crystal City fat cats will be paying security triple overtime to save the umbrellas from the vicious workers while they clean out the corporate goodies.

If I'm on a layover when they shut the doors, they can come get their own damn airplane, or wire me all of the wages they owe me to get it delivered.

If I'm airborne, unless the message specifically mentions a security/safety threat, the airplane will not return to CLT, PIT or PHL. I'm certain the return/divert message will have been garbled in transmission, and the customers will get delivered to their destination in the safe, efficient manner to which they've been accustomed.

jimntx said:
Either other airlines will announce that they will honor unused UAIR tickets and the passenger will just contact that airline directly

Question... Do the majors all have access to each other's res systems and if U goes 7, will the system even be up? Curious how this might work in the era of E tickets