What To Do If U Goes Chapter 7

When U shuts down, I imagine that other airlines will accept U tickets for at least a few days to get stranded pax back home. Space-A, of course. They'll do it in hopes of harvesting some of the U pax base. SW and JB may do more since they can afford it, but waltzing over the UAL, NW, DAL, or AA and presenting a U ticket for round-trip travel in the future probably isn't going to get you much more than a sincere, "we're sorry."

Hence, think carefully if you want to take a chance on being stranded and losing your money by booking well in advance with a airline in such deep trouble.

I'm sure aircrews will not have any problem getting a seat home.

Hey I am wondering if U goes Ch 7 do we still show up for work at the ATO to reissue tickets for pax or do we stay home after all how will we be paid I do not see any money left over to pay ATO employees......
you look around one more time and throw caution to the wind and exert an upward force on the E handle.....time to move on...

cltvff said:
Question... Do the majors all have access to each other's res systems and if U goes 7, will the system even be up? Curious how this might work in the era of E tickets
[post="186000"][/post]​

UAIR uses SABRE which AA and a number of other airlines/travel agencies uses. (FYI, SABRE was written at AMR in the 60's.) Though they share data--for instance, if you ask SABRE for a non-stop routing from Point A to Point B it will give you every available routing, but IIRC, if you are UAIR, it lists all the UAIR routings first, then the other airlines--I think each airline's res and ticketing info is partitioned off from other airlines. Not only would it give others competitive advantage to know your actual reservations and ticketing, it probably violates some anti-trust law, as well.

I think the safe thing for anyone to do going forward--as has already been suggested--is to insist on a paper ticket from UAIR, even if it costs a few dollars more. I would like to believe that other airlines will be as accomodating to stranded passengers as possible. I agree, however, that if you walked up to the counter with a r-t for future travel, you might be out of luck.

PITbull said:
Congrats to you on your "recall" back. I see your signator, :up:
[post="186024"][/post]​
BostonTerrier said:
jimntx...
great news!!! glad to see that you'll be back on the line! best of luck in your return...
best,
BT
[post="186056"][/post]​
Thanks, guys.  I'm already chomping at the bit to get flying again. Patience is not my long suit.

I will be looking for those transatlantic cancellations.
Story about Eastern is the news came over by teletype..

anywho I was under the impression that when a ticket is purchased it is not settled until the holder of the ticket has travelled ..therefore the money is in la la land ...Each airline just holds onto the cash of future tickets till the tickets is used for travel..
So i am assuming that U would have to disclose how many future tickets they have out there and that money would be untouchable and be used to paywhatever airlines take on U customers....
American Airlines , Northwest , Continental, Delta and United all have access to Usairways e-tickets all a passenger has to know is their ticket number and all you need is a competent other airline agent to grab the ticket and reissue it.

What do you think....Plausable ??

Holding the money until the customer actually travels is "normal" procedure. If you mix in CH.7, it's no longer normal. I don't really know the answer, but I would guess that the ticketholder would have to get in line with all the other unsecured creditors.

For instance, AMEX requires UAIR to keep a certain amount of cash on hand to pay them on demand. However, that is an arrangement between AMEX and UAIR that probably doesn't have a lot of force in Ch. 7. All that cash would go first toward paying off the secured creditors, then the unsecured creditors, then the employees, then the stockholders (yeah, right).

jimntx:

I believe you are right...

Also, I thought that credit card companies would usually refund your purchase and collect the claims to go after UAIR for one large amount (i.e. $2mil owed to MasterCard, not the $200 to this customer and $250 to that customer, etc)?

I think this has happened before?

funguy2 said:
jimntx:

I believe you are right...

Also, I thought that credit card companies would usually refund your purchase and collect the claims to go after UAIR for one large amount (i.e. $2mil owed to MasterCard, not the $200 to this customer and $250 to that customer, etc)?

I think this has happened before?
[post="186303"][/post]​
You are right, of course. I didn't think about the fact that Federal law requires the Credit Card companies to refund anything over $50 if the goods or services paid for are not delivered.

So, kiddos, ask for a paper ticket and pay with a credit card.

What is all this talk of shut down?? Let'stake a brighter look --our unions are agreeing to concessions once again and management is taking cuts. We all need our jobs --and if you think you can go outside and find something better with just airline experience is simply a dream.

We should all be trying to make this company work and preserve our livelyhood even if it means taking severe and undeserving paycuts. i don't like it but it sure beats the unemployment line.

Take a look at the two we have to choose from to lead our country -- I can't imagine Kerry as president -- God help us all if that happens. But we must vote for whomever you feel will lead us to another century of freedom.\

Let's look at surviving rather than liquidation for all of our sakes.