Whats happening to Dallas???

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/16/2003 1:11:06 PM Cart Pusher wrote:

Why is it, though, that nobody ever mentions all the other factors that drive the costs sky high at the majors - things that should also be addressed, such as - meals on long haul domestic flights (ie; flights over 4 hours), clubrooms, elaborate frequent flyer programs, world wide alliances, First Class seating (that nobody ever actually pays for), advanced boarding passes and the latest in web technology. All of those things drive up the costs at every major carrier much more than the wages. If people insist on the majors offering fares that match their low fare competitors than they should also expect that the frills they've come to know and love will be taken away as well. Pretty soon we will end up with a bunch of low fare airlines offering very limited frequent flyer programs with few or no partners, no club rooms or upgrade opportunities because there will be no First Class section, very basic web technology (no advanced check in or kiosks, etc.) and no alliances with other large airline around the world. Only then can you compare Southwest, Air Tran and Jet Blue with Northwest, American, United, Delta, etc.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Wow...where do I even start?

Most of things you mentioned (FF programs, web technology, First Class,etc), cost the major airlines very little. I would venture to say all those extra amenities are no more than 10% of the total cost structure and probably les. Labor and fuel combined make up 50-60% of total cost at the majors. Since the majors have little control over fuel prices (hedging can help some), then labor has to take the brunt of the hit.

As for the technology, its coming to the low-fare airlines. Obviously, WN's website must work pretty well considering they book more tickets through their website than any other US major. Kiosks are also coming. I know FL allows on-line check-in...just like the majors.

Cart Pusher, you did make one accurate point. It's not really as much about pay as it is about productivity and benefits. It also reflects a changing industry where many of the employees at the low-fare airlines will not make that one airline their lifetime career. I expect very few of the gate agents, baggage handlers, FA's to stay at the likes of FL/JB/F9 for very long. Heck, even the WN FA's are getting tired of having the productivity squeezed out of them. They will rapidly tire of the low-pay (which won't rise that much), long hours and relative dead end nature of the jobs.

Contrast with the likes of AA,US,UA,DL where many came to work for their entire careers. Unfortunately, many are now learning that being an FA or CSR for a major airline just isn't a long term career. It's a sad wake-up call for many, but it's a reality that many will have to face.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:41:17 AM airplt wrote:

You can't call them regional jets anymore. It is not uncommon to see RJ routes over 1,000 miles. I was looking at CoEx rj routes out of IAH the other day and they have routes for their rjs of 1,300 miles.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Those are the EMB-145XR's. CoEx is the only airline that has them.

"The latest in web technology" is probably something which pushes costs down, not up. Example: A customer checks in for a Delta flight on the Web, has no checked baggage, and prints her own boarding pass. How much interaction with ground staff does she have? Someone to check her printed boarding pass at the security checkpoint and again at the gate. Compare that to someone who checks in the old way at the counter. Another example: A customer purchases his ticket directly via delta.com. Delta saves the significant fees paid to a GDS for the booking, as well as the costs of paper tickets by issuing an e-ticket. Yet another example: A customer checks the status of her flight on the website instead of calling the airline, saving 800-number usage charges and potentially the cost of speaking to an agent.

Frequent flyer programs generally make money for the airlines, actually. Remember that the airline pulls in revenue from these programs through partnerships with hotels, rental car companies, credit cards, long distance provides, etc. And many of the seats filled by users of award tickets would have gone out empty anyway. Capacity restrictions, blackout dates, effective yield management, etc. help to ensure this. WN has a fairly generous FF program and they're managing to make money.

As for DFW, the problem is, as AAmech says, that they're #3 in the Metroplex. WN's got the vast majority of short-haul traffic out of DAL and AA has the stronger hub operation. That's some of the price Delta has to pay for drawing down DFW in the early '90s in order to take advantage of EA's failure and the market opportunity that provided at ATL. Moreover, shifting to RJ's allows Delta to offer a somewhat more competitive schedule at DFW with a larger selection of flight times. It seems to me that the strategy is to maintain presence at DFW (in case they decide to grow DFW again in the future) and put a little pressure on AA by adding more competition on a number of routes.

Delta will also be adding DFW-CMH service in the near future with CHQ. Could the 37-seat ERJ replace some of those thinner routes from DFW?

The rest of the story:

Just recived ASA'a monthly news letter "among freinds" and it had some pretty intersting things in it. Here is what it says "In one day, DCI carriers ASA, Comair and Skywest will add 58 new regional jet flights to 29 destinations and expand their operation to 7 main terminal gates." ASA alone will get 46 new departures, 11 new nonstop ASA markets, 5 new 70 seat RJ's, 68% of the total DFW DCI operation, and hire 72 new CSA people. This will all occur before April 6th when all of the new routs start.

DCI will add two new banks at 11:30AM and 5:30PM giving more frequency. I.E. New Orleans goes from 3 737-800 to 7 RJ's and one MD-90. All of the E120's are to be removed from DFW to create DCI's first all jet hub with in the next few months. ASA carried 8.3 million pax in 2002 and will continue to grow in the DFW hub carrying most of the projected growth for DCI.

Now that probably made things there as clear as mud. Looks to me like mainline is really suffering on this one as DCI is slowly taking over their gates.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/24/2003 12:55:43 PM sfb wrote:

Ummm wasn't CVG DCI's first all-jet hub something like two or three years ago?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Yup, it *was*. Delta quietly brought in some ASA AT7's into CVG last summer on a few routes like EVV and TOL. So it lost the all-jet status.

However...it looks like those AT7's were scheduled to leave CVG on 2/15, and I don't see any evidence of them today (2/24). So perhaps CVG is once again all-jet. DCI's all jet hub at DFW doesn't appear to be either the first or the only one in the Delta system.

Just found out today that once CHQ starts CMH-DFW service for DCI in April we will likely add ELP, OKC, MSY, and several more cities to be named. We will also have some destination continuing to MCO, either MSY or possibly MOB or BHM, to allow us to rotate crews and planes to the MCO base.

CVG is once again all-jet. DL's mini-hubs at BOS,LGA and MCO are also all jet.

DFW still will not be all-jet come April. There are still EMB120's flying to ILE,IAH,HOU,TUL,OKC,ICT,LFT and LIT. Some of the those will be replaced by RJ's sometime in the future, however I'm not sure what will happen to smaller markets like ILE and LFT. They may face the same fate as TXK and FSM...which got cut because they could not support the larger RJ's.

Interesting that CHQ will be moving into DFW also. That would make it the 4th DCI carrier in DFW. What a mess!! It doesn't totally surprise me as CHQ has the 37 seat RJ's which might work better on some of DL's thinner routes out of DFW.

ASA dropped Waco,Texas some time ago,will Killeen/Ft.Hood be next? ILE has a new airport opening up next year. The expectation is that many in the towns (burbs) north of Austin(read affluent) will fly out of ILE,just a 35 minute drive and no hassle parking compared to driving to the south of Austin,and through years of road construction. Wander if ASA will pull out now? Can a RJ be profitable on routes as short as 150nms? Right now ASA is competing with AE's SAAB 340s. If ASA moves up to RJs will it force AE's hand too?

One more thing,if DL is going to add more RJs,they might want to clean up that organized CHAOS out there at the satellite terminal. I guess they are going to start using the main line gates at the main terminal,especially with only 60 DL flights,that leaves the 20 odd gates for RJs.

What a sad state of affairs for DL at DFW. I remember in the mid 70s flying DL out DFW. DL has always had some type of hub operation there,why or how they did not capitalize on the time between Braniff I demise and the ascension of AA at DFW is beyond me. DL in the 80s had one of the largest regional partners working with it too in RIO Airways (4th largest at the time). In reality DL should be the dominant carrier AA is today at DFW.

What type of headcount reductions is DFW seeing, given the major withdrawl of Delta Mainline flying? I've heard that Mechanics are getting layed off here, but have not heard anything definite. Any numbers for ramp, agents, etc?