When Is Aa Going To Start Beefing Up Europe?

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
When is AA going to start beefing up service to Europe? Continental has New York to Europe just about rapped up. Some additional flights next summer are a must if we are to maintain a presence across the Atlantic. Will we see BCN next year?

MiAAmi said:
When is AA going to start beefing up service to Europe? Continental has New York to Europe just about rapped up. Some additional flights next summer are a must if we are to maintain a presence across the Atlantic. Will we see BCN next year?
I've heard rumours (and reliable ones at that) or Dublin and Shannon from Miami in coperation with Aer Lingus (AA would operate it because of EI's limited long-haul fleet). Then I heard they were strongly looking at MIA-MAN, but its not going to happen, because bmi has all but announced it. Daily A330, looks like it will be ready by May. The cost analysis ran very favourably for them. AA misses another oppurtunity.

Miami-Frankfurt is without a doubt the biggest "why the hell don't you fly it?" route in the European system. With the new HD 763s, yield should not be as major an issue as it was the last time around. Miami-Rome seasonal would work really well, too. And Miami-Brussels would be year-round goldmine. I don't expect any to happen soon, though.

Though, honestly, I really don't see any major European expansion in the near future, as nice as it would be. American is really just not making big moves in Europe. It is especially dissapointing that with Miami they have America's 5th largest trans-Atlantic gateway (this winter, more trans-Atlantic flights than BOS and LAX), yet they only fly twenty three of those 108 daily crossings.

Dallas could possibly support another European destination or two, like Amsterdam.

JFK-LIS May-Sept HD 757
MIA-BRU 763
MIA-DUB/SNN 763
ORD-AMS 763
ORD-ZUR May-Sept 763
JFK-ATH 2 X 763 Sum, 1 X Winter.... OA is pulling out of all longhaul flying. Dont just give it to Delta!
MIA-MXP 763

I would think that ALL of these routes would work well, even if only on a seasonal basis. With some 767s sitting around, I find it difficult to believe some of these wouldn't be more profitable than just letting them fry on the tarmac.

As a customer and investor in AMR I have wondered about this as well. As I recall there are/were 8 767-200ER aircraft in the fleet. (someone correct me if I am recalling incorrectly) I would think some of the examples in above posts warrant consideration for these aircraft(ie:CO)on thinner routes.

In any event, I hope serious consideration of opportunities from MIA and some of the dormant ex-TWA route authorities from JFK is given.

Olympic's long-haul pull-out was premature. They are not ending long-hauls. Albeit, thier long-haul network is now down to Johannsburg, Montreal, New York City, and Toronto, but they are staying.

I agree the routes would work with two exceptions:
O'Hare-Amsterdam: Already very sufficent capacity on this route with three airlines. Last fall it was five(!) airlines. It is a low yield market and too much compieition won't make it profitable.

Miami-Milan: Here you have a very high-yielding market thanks in all part to fashion models and executives, however, Atlialia's daily service, which will become a 777-200 on 1 January, is more than enough to meet demand. Miami-Rome would be nicer, plus it can be year-round, because the Miami>>Italy traffic is during the summer, but the Italy>>Miami traffic is during the winter.

TAN 767 300 said:
As a customer and investor in AMR I have wondered about this as well. As I recall there are/were 8 767-200ER aircraft in the fleet. (someone correct me if I am recalling incorrectly) I would think some of the examples in above posts warrant consideration for these aircraft(ie:CO)on thinner routes.

In any event, I hope serious consideration of opportunities from MIA and some of the dormant ex-TWA route authorities from JFK is given.
AA owns eight non-ER 767-200s and 21 767-200ERs. 10 767s are in the desert until 2005 and 4 others are stored until 2006; they were stored because they were due for heavy maintenance, and deferring that maintenance will save piles of money (which AA didn't have any of when AA made the decision to store the planes). Plus, many of them are nearly 20+ years old. Perhaps they will stay in the desert. Maybe by 2005 and 2006 AA will have the cash to just replace them with something else.

The remaining 15 762s currently serve LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK.

Yes, they're all ex-TWA routes, although Moscow wasn't nonstop.

I wouldn't expect to see much beefing up to Europe from JFK until the new terminal is finished and the economy has a chance to improve a bit more.

MK

Latest posts