Delta Moves To Philly International Terminal

Which is really worse?

Deplaning from a full A330 in FRA at 545am down a single staircase in the pouring rain and darkness so you can walk to a bus to get to the terminal, or, using a "Mobile Lounge / People Mover / PTV " where you stay dry, avoid staircases, and arrive close-in to the customs and immigration area?

I too have used these in the past from a 747 and 1011, but we did not just use one door, and perhaps that is the key - planning! From what I recall, both L1, L2, and the L5 doors were used on the 747, and really didn't take any longer to deplane than usual, and certainly less than when deplaning from staircases. The "PTVs" dropped off their load of passengers at FIS, and then returned to the aircraft for more.

The problem is PLANNING for such an operation and not just doing it half A$$ed. If done properly and with a little thought involved, it can and does work just fine.

The problem is PLANNING for such an operation and not just doing it half A$$ed. If done properly and with a little thought involved, it can and does work just fine.

Well then it will never happen with this management team in charge!

The real issue is that the US braintrust needs to travel to ORD and see how AA and UA manage to unload each and every one of their international arrivals (those not pre-cleared at the foreign departure point) at the international terminal and then almost immediately tow their airplane to their domestic terminal for their international departure.

Very, very, good point!
And I agree the posters who say the Plane Mates are not bad at all.
Remote parking is very common in Europe and I've experienced it on DC-9's to A330's.

The real issue is that the US braintrust needs to travel to ORD and see how AA and UA manage to unload each and every one of their international arrivals (those not pre-cleared at the foreign departure point) at the international terminal and then almost immediately tow their airplane to their domestic terminal for their international departure. The ORD international terminal is a mere 21 gates, and numerous foreign carriers use it for arrivals and departures. Some carriers, like LH and IB, use their alliance partners' domestic terminals for departures, but all in all, the T-5 at ORD is much more efficiently utilised than is the international terminal at PHL. Empty it, let CPB inspect it, and TOW it. US learns how to do that - US can easily double its international deparutes at PHL.

very good point, i never thought of ORD in this instance. Only thing is how many widebodies can B/C handle? I would venture to guess maybe a handful at the very end of B/C but that's it. So their best bet would be to have the 752's depart from B/C but that isn't very many flts and some of them leave outside of the big european rush hours

very good point, i never thought of ORD in this instance. Only thing is how many widebodies can B/C handle? I would venture to guess maybe a handful at the very end of B/C but that's it. So their best bet would be to have the 752's depart from B/C but that isn't very many flts and some of them leave outside of the big european rush hours
B/C Gates used to handle 767's and I think there are a few left that could. Move some of Republics E170's back to F and they get a few more gates.

But in PHL things get worked out on how the local politicians hands get lubed. There is very little forward and innovated thinking in PHL.

OK maybe this was said but it is hard to read the posts with everyone such children, but I guess that is the United States today; a bunch of whining libs. Is US now pulling out of China as they threatened?

The one time I deplaned on a plane mate at PHL, it was ok, except I was disappointed when we went to a gate and not directly to immigration. I'd almost prefer multiple plane mates deplaning pax directly to immigration (perhaps with a dedicated plane mate for Envoy), then towing some 57s and 67s to gates (dom or Int) for boarding.

Does PHL have the ability to take pax directly to immigration.. or closer?

B/C Gates used to handle 767's and I think there are a few left that could.
Back in the mid '80s, during TWA's use of the end of B, I remember both a 747 and L1011 parked wingtip to wingtip. I think it still can be done. What has Tempe so apprehensive about towing planes from A to B/C is all of the ground congestion, especially on "storm days." The term grid lock is too kind of a term.

[

All in all a non ideal but tolerable solution when needed.

Ps, just remembered the same senerio minus the rain and my wife at both my HKG arrivals (old airport) on full Cathay 744 arrivals.

US also used these same type of PTV at JFK ( called "PlaneMate" ) albeit on a much smaller scale at JFK for our lone International arrival many , many years ago.

No big deal in that case.

The answer to the towing problem in PHL is very simple. It is a piece of ground equipment that I will refer to as the SuperTug. It has other names. Point being..for pushback it does not require a towbar...the tug locks onto the nose gear and actually lifts it off the ramp. After push...if tow is required...the driver simply rotates 180 degrees in the tug "cockpit" while never breaking the link from the a/c. Steering wheel and gas/brake pedals and transmission control is right there. It can also tow at speeds that are acceptable to FAA standards. Not that PHL isnt congested....but ive seen this work hundreds of times in Europe. Those on the board that fly to Europe are sure aware of this. This is an accepted procedure for US flights in all European cities.

The answer to the towing problem in PHL is very simple. It is a piece of ground equipment that I will refer to as the SuperTug. It has other names. Point being..for pushback it does not require a towbar...the tug locks onto the nose gear and actually lifts it off the ramp. After push...if tow is required...the driver simply rotates 180 degrees in the tug "cockpit" while never breaking the link from the a/c. Steering wheel and gas/brake pedals and transmission control is right there. It can also tow at speeds that are acceptable to FAA standards. Not that PHL isnt congested....but ive seen this work hundreds of times in Europe. Those on the board that fly to Europe are sure aware of this. This is an accepted procedure for US flights in all European cities.

The Super Tug is widely used by CO at EWR to tow among other things 777's all over a very conjested airport. NW has them in LGA as their remote overnight parking is over a mile from their gates.

LGA777

The Super Tug is widely used by CO at EWR to tow among other things 777's all over a very conjested airport. NW has them in LGA as their remote overnight parking is over a mile from their gates.

LGA777

How about using some ingenuity. Park an arriving international 767 on B or C. Do not connect the jetway. Meet the airplane with planemates, transport the passengers to the A terminal for Customs/Immigration. Bring the arriving bags to A for customs clearance. When everyone including the crew is off the plane, then connect the jetway at B or C. Then there is no towing, no moving. No fuss.

How about using some ingenuity. Park an arriving international 767 on B or C. Do not connect the jetway. Meet the airplane with planemates, transport the passengers to the A terminal for Customs/Immigration. Bring the arriving bags to A for customs clearance. When everyone including the crew is off the plane, then connect the jetway at B or C. Then there is no towing, no moving. No fuss.
You realize we're talking PHILADELPHIA here.....don't you? What is the BIG Deal about using a hardstand arrival (which is very common in Europe, and executed without any drama). The PHL Airport and the airline just need to get their act together and bring in a company like Swissport or FRAPORT that KNOW WHAT The Hell they are doing and utilize the facility for maximum benefit. PHL has "issues" on a Good Day and just the thought of having somebody playing an aircraft Chess Game with airplanes, people and an invisible Ground Crew is ridiculous. Departures are not the problem........it's the Arrivals that need the attention. (They need to stop talking and JUST DO IT!)

Latest posts