Delta Moves To Philly International Terminal

Is there a difference in what we're talking about here? Using a hardstand and deplaning passengers down onto the ramp and then on to busses to go to the terminal is one thing, but using PTV's that connect to the A/C and passengers load directly onto the bus is another thing. The PTV's will not be able to unload ALL the passengers from the A/C all at once, so it will take more than one PTV right? That being said with an A/C out on a tarmac with no jetway or hardstand attached to it, all the Doors will have to be re-armed in case of emergency onboard the A/C every time a PTV left, then disarmed again once another PTV arrived, and so on for as many PTV's as it will take to get all of the passengers off the A/C. I would think there is an issue with arming/disarming doors that would come into play here also. JMO, but wouldn't the risk of inadvertant slide deployments also rise using the PTV procedure? Using hardstands and busses like they do in Europe would seem more logical.

Back in the mid '80s, during TWA's use of the end of B, I remember both a 747 and L1011 parked wingtip to wingtip. I think it still can be done. What has Tempe so apprehensive about towing planes from A to B/C is all of the ground congestion, especially on "storm days." The term grid lock is too kind of a term.
I think the city must've added a gate sometime between then and now. Gate b12 missing, and when you're outside of B11 and look towards the building you can still see a small sign that says L1011 and a door frame thats been boarded up what probably was an old jetway. I remember one night a couple years ago that a Madrid b767 flight departed from b11.
C30, B11 and B13 are the only domestic gates that can fit a 767.

The answer to the towing problem in PHL is very simple. It is a piece of ground equipment that I will refer to as the SuperTug. It has other names. Point being..for pushback it does not require a towbar...the tug locks onto the nose gear and actually lifts it off the ramp. After push...if tow is required...the driver simply rotates 180 degrees in the tug "cockpit" while never breaking the link from the a/c. Steering wheel and gas/brake pedals and transmission control is right there. It can also tow at speeds that are acceptable to FAA standards. Not that PHL isnt congested....but ive seen this work hundreds of times in Europe. Those on the board that fly to Europe are sure aware of this. This is an accepted procedure for US flights in all European cities.

Actually we did have a "super tug" on loan to us a couple of years ago in PHL. It's a very expensive piece of equipment and the company elected not to purchase it for two reasons. 1 cost, 2 it's a very complicated piece of equipment to operate and the ramp was taking over the receipt and dispatch of the a/c, and they (managment) felt the ramp couldn't handle it (that's what I was told). Personally, I didn't like driving it.

Latest posts