Votes: 13 76.5%
  • Wait, too soon to throw in the towel

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

proAMT

Advanced
Dec 3, 2005
SEA
Not sure one should be the first or the last but where is the point where one would be better off reestablishing himself at another carrier?

There are of course important factors to consider…

retirement
benefits
pay
quality of product being produced
pride in ones employer
way one is treated by his employer
is it worth gambling my future sticking it out?
is their a move involved?
all on the same team atmosphere?

Everyone knows we have sacrificed for the airline and the airline either did not cut enough the first time or squandered their opportunity depending on the view one takes.

Regardless, our pay has not kept up with the cost of living and we have not received a pay increase or benefit increase in years.

With a union job one generally goes to the bottom of the seniority pile and begins the climb up the pay scale from the bottom all over again. I guess the 100K question is will the short-term sacrifice be worth it or am I better off hoping things get better this time around?

All the other airlines are making profits and we are not. Our airline has floundered for years now-are things going to get better for the average AMT at AA?

People hung on for years at Pan AM and TWA and the people who landed on their feet are the ones who jumped off early. Are we beating a dead horse here and are the other airlines hiring?

Here's my opinion
Not sure one should be the first or the last but where is the point where one would be better off reestablishing himself at another carrier?

retirement
benefits
pay
pride in ones employer

Everyone knows we have sacrificed for the airline and the airline either did not cut enough the first time or squandered their opportunity depending on the view one takes.

Regardless, our pay has not kept up with the cost of living and we have not received a pay increase or benefit increase in years.

With a union job one generally goes to the bottom of the seniority pile and begins the climb up the pay scale from the bottom all over again. I guess the 100K question is will the short-term sacrifice be worth it or am I better off hoping things get better this time around?

All the other airlines are making profits and we are not. Our airline has floundered for years now-are things going to get better for the average AMT at AA?

People hung on for years at Pan AM and TWA and the people who landed on their feet are the ones who jumped off early. Are we beating a dead horse here and are the other airlines hiring?
Here's my opinion on the situation,it's better to be prepared than not...I have updated my resume on paper,but haven't shoppped it yet.It all rests on AMR if they screw us it going out for sure. There is plenty of jobs out there for avionics techs...

It is definitely time to have the resume ready, but not time to fire it off, we should wait and see what BK brings. unless you just hired on in the last year or two if that is the case fire away.

Fortunately, I don't really need my job with AA. I wouldn't have to work at all if I could learn to live within my means (but, it's just so tacky in there :lol:). And, tomorrow I get my 10 years and eligibility for retiree travel and medical benefits (assuming those survive bankruptcy). I can retire any time it starts to look really ugly with scheduling--trips, duty days, etc. If I were a long time employee, but less than 20 years, I would be thinking in terms of finding more stable employment.

The thing to remember is that it doesn't hurt to investigate what your worth is on the open market. As they say, just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't read the menu. Visit your local state employment service or a private employment agency, and see what they have available in your field. There is no way the company can find out if you are registered with one of them. The pay rate you might be able to get now will go down if suddenly there are hundreds of qualified amts on the market. Or, if you are in a city that has a surplus of qualified people. You have to ask yourself, can you afford to pick up and move your family on short notice if the only job available is 500 or 1000 miles away?

That should be..."it's never too early to look..." If AA suddenly closes a major maintenance base--say Tulsa--(and no, I don't know anything you don't know...just an example), then it is too late to start looking because there will be a huge surplus of qualified people on the local market. You do not want to be #3,452 on the interview list for 10 available jobs.

retirement
benefits
pay
pride in ones employer

In my career at AA in aircraft maintenance I have met quite a few former TWA aircraft mechanics. The one thing that I always wondered was why they didn't get out after the many furloughs, bumping to other stations, pay and benefit cuts, etc.. So I have asked a few and the one common answer that I got from them was that they had "hope". Hope that things would eventually get better, that the company would turn around and start making money. They have all told me that looking back if they would have left when either they had an opportunity or when they were younger they surely would have left as to not have to go through this again now with AA. So my own personal advice is if you are young enough and able to find something that could show promise do not hesitate to get your self in order. Make the hard choice, look for something comparable and never look back. I think that most of us at AA that are relatively senior and have never been laid off are pretty fortunate, but it has also kept us from seeing what it is really like out in the real world.

Timing the job market is like any other gamble.... I'm not going to tell you when to move if I need to do so as well... ;)

In my career at AA in aircraft maintenance I have met quite a few former TWA aircraft mechanics. The one thing that I always wondered was why they didn't get out after the many furloughs, bumping to other stations, pay and benefit cuts, etc.. So I have asked a few and the one common answer that I got from them was that they had "hope". Hope that things would eventually get better, that the company would turn around and start making money. They have all told me that looking back if they would have left when either they had an opportunity or when they were younger they surely would have left as to not have to go through this again now with AA.

Don't forget emotional investment. When people spend a good chunk of their adult lives helping build a company, it's hard to let go.

Used to be the rule was: "Everyone says the place sucks, but no one ever quits." :lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Don't forget emotional investment. When people spend a good chunk of their adult lives helping build a company, it's hard to let go.

Used to be the rule was: "Everyone says the place sucks, but no one ever quits." :lol:
Still is -- with all these threads here saying how bad AA/management/TWU is, no one quits.

If you like where you live, have roots in your community, dont want to relocate and are likely to be forced to relocate ,start looking.

If you dont care about relocating, stay.

if you are low seniority and will likely be let go, start looking.

Latest posts