Which Maintenance Base Will Fall?

There's one little technicality to this. When AA reached the agreement with MCI to extend the lease on the hangar, it was stipulated that if AA completley abandons the hangar, they will be responsible for the costly environmental cleanup.
So they lay off 400 mechanics there in November, followed by more in January. There where only be a few people left to turn the lights on and off just so AA doesn't have to pay for the cleanup.

They could always file for bankruptcy and get out of it completley.

Hopeful said:
There's one little technicality to this. When AA reached the agreement with MCI to extend the lease on the hangar, it was stipulated that if AA completley abandons the hangar, they will be responsible for the costly environmental cleanup.
So they lay off 400 mechanics there in November, followed by more in January. There where only be a few people left to turn the lights on and off just so AA doesn't have to pay for the cleanup.

[post="193265"][/post]​

Or just threatenm to, hey it worked with the unions!

Hopeful said:

[post="193265"][/post]​

All AA has to do is lease out the Kansas City hangar to a third party and thats that.
Did you really think that with the financial situation that we are in the company can run three maintenance facilities? Wake up. We told you guys a long time ago that the TWU is in bed with the company. The TWU got what they wanted from you and now they are throwing you out in the street. The only loyalty the TWU has is their financial income, our dues money.

...and the only loyalty you have is to the likes of Stewart? Stewart is, and has always been in bed with the company.

Drippy Quill said:
...and the only loyalty you have is to the likes of Stewart? Stewart is, and has always been in bed with the company.
[post="193383"][/post]​

:angry: Your foolish to even imply this statement!! :angry:
Yesterday my manager basically admitted to the closing of MCI. Even though you are a pain in the *%^; I wish all of the people in KC and STL the best. Almost all of us have families to think of and take care of, so I hate to see anyone lose a job. Good luck if you are one of them.

Don't worry about Drippy. Most of us are certain that he's little Stevie Connell, a former IAM steward who sold us out so he could have a supervisor job at TWA. I'm sure AA will find a management position for him.

Hopeful said:

[post="193265"][/post]​

MCI is not dead yet. The 336 MD 80's that require seat repitch for the extra row of coach and two extra First Class seats, will be accomplished at MCI if they are able to show the work can be accomplished to the company's requirements. Some of these repitch aircraft will be accomplished in TUL at the Heavy checks. I believe that this mod must be completed by June 2005. That is as of today.

FYI...THe 767-200ers are up for sale per the Operations, Performance and Planning website on Jetnet. 16 planes, note, not the ones in storage. You can verify it yourself by going on jetnet at work only, go to site map on top, departments, operational areas on left, and then Operation, Performance, planning, resource meeting minutes from Oct, 2004.

BTW...the 767-200 in storage, 5 have been sold and the rest are getting chopped up.

Not good news, especially for KC. :down: :down:

Buck said:
MCI is not dead yet. The 336 MD 80's that require seat repitch for the extra row of coach and two extra First Class seats, will be accomplished at MCI if they are able to show the work can be accomplished to the company's requirements. Some of these repitch aircraft will be accomplished in TUL at the Heavy checks. I believe that this mod must be completed by June 2005. That is as of today.
[post="193496"][/post]​

No one is saying MCI is dead.
But with a shrinking fleet, Fokkers all gone. The work can be done at TUL and possibly AFW. Many less than major modifications can be done throughtout the system where there are hangars.

I heard from a reliable source today that within 90 days, AA will be total of 9,300 employees smaller than 2 weeks ago.

That is somewhere in the range of a 10% reduction in overall headcount.

You have not heard the last of RIF's!!!!!

And I have been told that MCI is dead.

Hypothetical question,

What will the third party heavy maintenance facilities do when they are successful at getting all the maintenance work from the carriers?

Raise prices!

What will AA do if they retain the MCI facility?

Compete with experience mechanics with on time performance!

I think it would be wise for AA to retain full overhaul capabilities and go after the work! Right now most of the third party vendors are losing or breaking even to bring the work in. If they hold a monopoly, than they can dictate price. AA could very well end up the lowest price for maintenance in short order. 3 to 5 years!