Who Will Gamble On Us Airways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
firstamendment said:
Cbviously Bronner ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier. If he is such a great investor of the fine folks of Bama, why did he put his money here? How far is his Manhattan office building from Warren Buffet's? :eek:
[post="204441"][/post]​

This is just laughable.... Bronner isn't responsible for decades of zero cost containment and bad business decisions.

When nobody else wanted to touch U, Bronner was lauded as a white knight.

Most of y'all got two more years of pay and benefits thanks to Bronner taking a chance.

Now, that the business model still isn't working, he's the devil incarnate with bad teeth and a beat up pickup with a shotgun rack?....

Dr. Bronner has made far more money for the folks of Bama than he's lost. And he's made that money by taking risks. That's what an investment fund does. It isn't privatized welfare.

You also have to realize that their initial investment only represented less than 2% of RSA's portfolio, but I'll wager that he's spent more than 20% of his time dealing with the problems that investment has generated. Nobody should be surprised that he's ready to cash out and cut his losses.

Former ModerAAtor said:
This is just laughable.... Bronner isn't responsible for decades of zero cost containment and bad business decisions.

When nobody else wanted to touch U, Bronner was lauded as a white knight.

Most of y'all got two more years of pay and benefits thanks to Bronner taking a chance.

Now, that the business model still isn't working, he's the devil incarnate with bad teeth and a beat up pickup with a shotgun rack?....

Dr. Bronner has made far more money for the folks of Bama than he's lost. And he's made that money by taking risks. That's what an investment fund does. It isn't privatized welfare.

You also have to realize that their initial investment only represented less than 2% of RSA's portfolio, but I'll wager that he's spent more than 20% of his time dealing with the problems that investment has generated. Nobody should be surprised that he's ready to cash out and cut his losses.
[post="204728"][/post]​

Hello
Can you read? This was a cut to a man who seems to know so much about investments, but couldn't ss that airline investments have little if any return. I NEVER blamed Bronner for the miss we are in. I just think he missed the mark on this one...regardless if it is 2% or 75%. AND he knew nothing of the difficulties of U before investing? Now THAT is laughable~ The SOB SHOULD pull his investment. Small or large investment, if he is like all the other bozos, he'll Ch.7 it and take that tiny loss and say, Oh well, labor wouldn't cooperate. That way he saves his pride. But of course YOU appear to be an expert, so I'm probably wrong. <_<

firstamendment said:
Can you read? This was a cut to a man who seems to know so much about investments, but couldn't ss that airline investments have little if any return.
[post="204740"][/post]​

I can read just fine, thank you. Can you think beyond the little corner of the world called US Airways?

Investments in airlines -are- risky, but when they work, they work incredibly well.

TPG has always made money on their investments in airlines. Lorenzo definitely made money on his investment in CO, as did Icahn with TW. George Soros just made a nice little sum on Jetblue. So, not all investments in airlines are failures.

It wasn't unthinkable that U had some upside, especially with close to $1B in government backed loans to get back on their feet. Given the low risk for RSA, it wasn't a bad investment. It just hasn't performed where it could have.

Go ahead and slam the man for taking risks all you want, but I'll gladly swap paychecks with him for a week.

Former ModerAAtor said:
Lorenzo definitely made money on his investment in CO, as did Icahn with TW. George Soros just made a nice little sum on Jetblue. So, not all investments in airlines are failures.

[post="204744"][/post]​

Real credible gentleman. You know, you almost had me until this statement. Now I am really laughing!! :up:

My "little" world of US Airways just so happens to affect me now. Why the hell should you care anyway? Don't you have enough problems over on the AA boards. We at U have grown accustomed to ecomaniacs coming and going. I will give Bronner credit AND respect when he STOPS his threatening mantra of capitulate or liquidate. If you don't agree, fine, but please don't try to use the likes of the evil Lorenzo or Icahn to make your point. You just may have started a war with the formal EAL and TWA employees, for which you have enough of pissed off at AA. :lol:

Former ModerAAtor said:
Go ahead and slam the man for taking risks all you want, but I'll gladly swap paychecks with him for a week.
[post="204744"][/post]​

I'd never slam anyone for taking risks on an investment cuz that is what our economy is based on for the most part.

However....when said investor appoints himself COB with no background in said investment...then uses his influence to alter things , such as shifting work away from the actual investment to areas where he has other vested interests , such as the State of Alabama , then he uses his position to harm the investment in the press , Well intelligent people and victims of this investor have to raise some questions.

Had Bronner remained just an investor...and avoided being an attempted manipulator , how much more money could his investment in U made?

Bronner himself has done more damage to U than any comments of CHAOS could have ever attempted to do. Bronner has used the Liquidation term enough times in his tenure to scare away passengers and other outside investors whom know a hell of a lot more about an airline than he does.

Phantom Fixer said:
Had Bronner remained just an investor...and avoided being an attempted manipulator , how much more money could his investment in U made?

Bronner himself has done more damage to U than any comments of CHAOS could have ever attempted to do. Bronner has used the Liquidation term enough times in his tenure to scare away passengers and other outside investors whom know a hell of a lot more about an airline than he does.
[post="204749"][/post]​

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Thanks for articulating it better. I couldn't see pass my little world of US Airways. :p

Today the Charlotte Observer reported "People are looking, kicking the tires," said Lakefield, a former investment banker. "There's plenty of money available for the right company with the right economics." This week, the airline heads back to bankruptcy court for hearings in which company lawyers will ask a judge to throw out union contracts. Most analysts, and even some union members, believe the judge will accede to the company's demands. Then, the focus will shift to wooing an investor.

USA320Pilot comments: MaitlinPatterson, a large New York City hedge fund, or RSA, a large retirement fund.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

firstamendment said:
EXACTLY MY POINT!!! Thanks for articulating it better. I couldn't see pass my little world of US Airways. :p
[post="204753"][/post]​
Anyone can articulate a point better than your diatribes!!! You obviously don't have a clue about "investing"....your so damn bitter staying employed by DOCTOR Bronners' "nightmare" at U, go use your....umm..degree, and GET ANOTHER JOB!!! :p

USA320Pilot said:
Today the Charlotte Observer reported "People are looking, kicking the tires," said Lakefield, a former investment banker. "There's plenty of money available for the right company with the right economics." This week, the airline heads back to bankruptcy court for hearings in which company lawyers will ask a judge to throw out union contracts. Most analysts, and even some union members, believe the judge will accede to the company's demands. Then, the focus will shift to wooing an investor.

USA320Pilot comments: MaitlinPatterson, a large New York City hedge fund, or RSA, a large retirement fund.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204784"][/post]​

Interesting... Does Lakefield know that you are breaking his confidence. He was obviously not comfortable revealing who the potential investors might be, but you seem to have no problem with it... Did you have a confidentialiity agreement for this tidbit of information?

Phantom Fixer said:
However....when said investor appoints himself COB with no background in said investment...then uses his influence to alter things , such as shifting work away from the actual investment to areas where he has other vested interests , such as the State of Alabama , then he uses his position to harm the investment in the press , Well intelligent people and victims of this investor have to raise some questions.

[post="204749"][/post]​

I suppose he could have been a silent investor, since U was doing so well on their own before he got there....

There's a difference between being "just an investor" and being the only investor. When someone offers to borrow you as much money as RSA did, you're a fool if you believe there are no strings attached. When you hold a controlling interest, which RSA does, it's their right to oversee it.

TPG doesn't take a hands on approach when they invest in a company. If they don't have a controlling interest, they make damn sure that they've got board seats.

When GECAS announced their investment, they didn't say "here's some money -- don't spend it all in one day!" No. They spelled out some pretty specific terms on what has to take place before funds change hands. And it wouldn't surprise me to see board seats in the deal, either.

Harp all you want about Bronner's approach, but what really matters is how the RSA's fund participants view his approach. It is -their- money, not yours.

And you're not victims of his investment. You're benefactors. Otherwise, U would have collapsed two years ago.

FirstAmendment, for your information, I was also put out on the street by Lorenzo. I don't hold a grudge against him for that -- my company was already dead before he took control. He just iced the cake that prior management and labor had baked.

FormerAAMod,

With your brand of logic in play....U prior to Bronner and the RSA should have just panhandled the remaining players in the industry with a promise of being defunct in three years for the paultry sum of $240 Million. I'm sure they would have come up with it somewhere with that offer in place.

Sure the RSA had a right to protect thier investment by placing people on the BOD..but when a single persons arrogance and lack of actual airline accumen aids in the continued downward spiral of a company..and places greater burden on the PBGC and numerous states employment security commisons...not to mention the other investors whom have given and given to keep U going. Maybe just Maybe? the judge needs to look at more than labor as a detracting element to protect the other investors/creditors.

BTW....Don't tell me what's not mine . Myself and my fellow employee's have given plenty to keep U going...and We have BOD seats to prove it too.

NeedForSpeedNFS said:
Anyone can articulate a point better than your diatribes!!! You obviously don't have a clue about "investing"....your so damn bitter staying employed by DOCTOR Bronners' "nightmare" at U, go use your....umm..degree, and GET ANOTHER JOB!!! :p
[post="204788"][/post]​
NFS,
What the **** is your problem and beef with me? Really? You DON'T know me and you constantly attack. If you do not like what I say, fine, but you are constantly attacking. Anymore and we'll take it to the moderators. Who the hell are you to say I am bitter? Obviously you missed a very thoughtout response to Rico explaining my feelings about Bonehead. Perhaps you should read all threads before mouthing off. Am I bitter because I dislike Bronner? You are such a miserable person that I will not further engage with you. Your purpose here is obviously to be a complete jerk and jack@ss. Please put me on your ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.