700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways announces $150 million investor

Company would contribute equity to America West deal

TONY MECIA

Staff Writer

A week after announcing a planned merger with America West, US Airways says it has attracted another investor willing to pour $150 million into the merged company.

In a bankruptcy filing late Friday, US Airways said it had reached an agreement with Wellington Management Co., which would contribute equity to the deal between the two airlines. The money would come in addition to the $350 million in equity already pledged from four other companies.

Charlotte Observer (Free Subscription)

Well, I will give Lakefield his due for his ability to raise all this cash. He is smart, as it WILL take alot of money to eventually change paint jobs, uniforms, etc.

I know our fleet at U needs to be redone. I would like to see less blue and gray and more red and white. I hope somehow there can be a NEW paint job that can preserve the spirit of America West. Also, we haven't had a new uniform in 20 years. We look tired. And our interior are wearing well. Lets brighten it up inside. Thoughts? Rumors?

Hey, can anyone at AWA tell me if you guys use glassware on domestic FC? I hope so.

Whatever Doug does in these regards, I hope he makes a decision as to what he wants and sticks by it. Good God, US airways couldn't make up their mind about something as little as swizzle sticks when they merged and wastes millions to add FC to their aircraft with the old fat A signage just to throw out all the new china and glasses for the USAir look. Do it right. I have faith in Doug.

lakefield was the money man from the start...

must be one heck of a business plan

these investors just keep forming a line outside of the hdqs

Excuse me,

Why is Lakefield himself drawing all this credit for landing investors?
From my seat....I see the investments being made toward the future with Doug Parker and Company being the controlling force , not Bruce "the deer in the headlights" Lakefield.

I'm also somewhat concerned about all these small investments taking place...$150 Million here..and $150 Million there does not add up to much when you examine the losses that take place on a daily basis....not to mention the waste of money being talked about in terms of retention bonuses for people whom have already proven that they cannot even truly run an airline even with BK protections in place..and almost 1/2 of the labor force looking on from the sidelines from now till enternity rolls.

I know of many a person..and a number of small businesses that have been overly extended loans and credit...simply based on the ability to pay back the minimum due...but in the end , being over-extended , proved to be exactly that...and the end game was just delayed for awhile.

Honestly....I think the HP/US merger is a great thing...and should prove to be a great thing for both major parties as a whole...allbeit with plenty more hard work and a lot of additional pain to come for many on both sides of the coin. (Upper Management obviously not included)

By and large...small investors concern me more than some major investors do. $150 can be an easy write-off for some..just as Bronner's RSA Money has become and easy write-off....note that he has yet to pony up another dime for this combined proposal...then again , not being the controlling party of this combination has likely licked the red off the candy for Bronner.

My deepest concern is the increased involvement and exposure to Airbus. Airbus will have the abilitity to force feed us whatever they desire in some respects...and seeing them talk about the A350 as a replacement for the B767's and our A330-300's , as young as they are , only compounds my concerns about their products...and it's supposed life-cycle duration as opposed to a Boeing that will fit the same need...and be far easier to support. Spare me the comparison the the B787 that will come...the A350 is a repsonse to both the B787 and an admission that the A330 was born to a limited service life.

" Hey, can anyone at AWA tell me if you guys use glassware on domestic FC? I hope so. "

YES, FirstAmendment, real glassware in FC. WooHoo! :D

BBQ in the Shade this weekend,

DesertRat

"all these small investments taking place...$150 Million here..and $150 Million there"

Since when is 150 million a small investment?

Dog Wonder said:
[post="273931"][/post]​

For you and me, it isn't.

For an investment firm that manages $400 Billion in assets, it's 1/3 of 1/10 of 1%. So, relatively speaking, it's 1/30th of what Bronner put up.

Jim

Dog Wonder said:
"all these small investments taking place...$150 Million here..and $150 Million there"

[post="273931"][/post]​

When this company loses more per month, than investors pledge...that's when. Until they change the way they do business, I'd think twice before investing.

For an investment firm that manages $400 Billion in assets, it's 1/3 of 1/10 of 1%. So, relatively speaking, it's 1/30th of what Bronner put up.

Jim
[post="273941"][/post]​
[/quote]
Bronner put up 240 million

fmc said:

Jim
[post="273941"][/post]​
Bronner put up 240 million
[post="273967"][/post]​
[/quote]

Correct, which is why I said relatively speaking. Bronner supposedly put up 1% of the RSA assets, Wellington is putting up 1/30th of 1% of their assets.

Jim

Latest posts