Why is DFW becoming more EXPRESS?

trvlr64

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
FLL
www.usaviation.com
I don't get it??! My flights to DFW are full and passengers are having to gate check bags since there's no room yet US seems to be taking away the 737/319 and replacing them with the RJ's and EMB 170?!

WHY?

I flew PIT to DFW via CLT this past Monday and have to repeat my trip on Monday, February 20th and wanted the same flights and times because it was great for my work schedule. I checked the website and now see the CLT to DFW portion is an RJ!! YUCK!! And there seems to be more EXPRESS flights going into DFW.

trvlr64,

I suspect it's lack of planes. This is the month the last (hopefully) East planes are returned to the leasors, so mainline service somewhere has to be replaced by Express.

Jim

Theres a few 737s, the rest is Express. Since the EMB170s will no longer be operated by USAirways/ma, there will very few actual US Airways flights to DFW. Are there any stations for US East, in the US that are only served by mainline? The very most western and maybe some in Florida?

Good question, FlyOnWall. Obviously, anything west of MSP/MCI/DFW/IAH doesn't have the "old" East Express service (not counting any CRJ-900 Mesa "West" Express from the east to PHX/LAS). Off the top of my head, I can't think of anywhere though I haven't seen an Express plane at MIA (maybe just timing on my part).

Interestingly, I just read something from Back Aviation Solutions that said all the "Legacy" carriers but two are decreasing the number of flights operated by RJ's (including the E-170's) except two - UA & US. We two are increasing RJ flights.

Article

Jim

Good question, FlyOnWall. Obviously, anything west of MSP/MCI/DFW/IAH doesn't have the "old" East Express service (not counting any CRJ-900 Mesa "West" Express from the east to PHX/LAS). Off the top of my head, I can't think of anywhere though I haven't seen an Express plane at MIA (maybe just timing on my part).

Interestingly, I just read something from Back Aviation Solutions that said all the "Legacy" carriers but two are decreasing the number of flights operated by RJ's (including the E-170's) except two - UA & US. We two are increasing RJ flights.

Article

Jim

Love 'em or hate 'em, tho, even US and UA are flying bigger RJs.

US is probably adding some 50 seat feed as well (Air Whisky). UAL is adding the 70 seaters in the form of E-170s and CRJ700s. UAL is actually going to have one up on US here--ExPlus. I'll take an RJ with E+ and an F cabin.

I'd shoot myself before getting on a CRJ900 for any more than an hour.

UAL's move to ExPlus is compelling. US could have been there, but Dave Told Another Lie (tm).

Clue,

As for UA, I agree - they're adding bigger "RJ's" while decreasing the number of 50-seaters. US, in the YoY comparison from Back, is adding some 170's since deliveries continued after the 1st quarter 2005. Otherwise, except for talk of 190's, we're adding 50 seaters. Of course, if you look at the combined LCC express fleet, there's also the CRJ-900's that US didn't have access to in 1Q05 - I don't know if there are more of them now than were operated for HP then or not.

I also agree that UA's 3 class on the bigger "RJ's" is a nice touch - I believe they only give up 2 seats vs US on the 170 to offer both Economy Plus and FC. Seems like it would make sense to offer at least FC on the bigger "RJ's", but that's assuming FC continues to have any meaning....

Jim

I also agree that UA's 3 class on the bigger "RJ's" is a nice touch - I believe they only give up 2 seats vs US on the 170 to offer both Economy Plus and FC. Seems like it would make sense to offer at least FC on the bigger "RJ's", but that's assuming FC continues to have any meaning....

Jim,
It's interesting you should mention the FC thing--I think it really comes down to the question of "what the post-BK airline wants to be." UA seems to be going after the VFF/business/premium markets (P.S., E+, Explus, new intl J cabins, etc) whereas US is cutting FC down to nothing domestically (and not much over the pond), devaluing the FF program, etc.

Seems like a chase at two different markets. That might explain it. It strikes me that UA also does not chase into as many smaller markets, particularly in the east (AVL is my personal example, as I must drive to GSP to catch UA metal).

Clue,

ASSUMPTION ALERT

It could be that many of the changes you and other passengers are seeing are the result of pressure to turn this thing around. Regardless of the "best capitalized" and "low cost carrier" claims, the fact is that almost 2/3 of this operation isn't anything close to low cost. So it could be that cutting costs to stem the losses is the current primary objective.

To me, and assuming that's the case, it unfortunate. Seems like it would be a lot easier to retain loyal high-yield passengers than recapture them somewhere down the road.

Jim

Its the same on the West operation to DFW. DFW flights are always full, yet they put an RJ in there. More and more DFW flts could be added and filled.
Really makes ya wanna scratch yer head.

Before this merger, HP looked hard at expanding in DFW to a hub, the airport was offering great deals, but HP decided not to go up against AA.