World Cup

WorldTraveler said:
the tribute to the US is that a chunk of the team was half German, coached by a German, which still stood up quite well to Germany - compared to how other teams fared against Germany.
True, but at the same time the fact that Klinsmann had to look to Germany to round out the roster can also be seen as an indictment on the state of player development here in the U.S.

It's light years ahead of where it was even a decade ago, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

The US has a solid and growing soccer "industry" which is all the more reason to keep kids in soccer beyond junior high school and for colleges to realize how important soccer is in preparing young people who can speak the sporting language of the world.
That's also part of the problem- "industry." It's a structured (and often expensive) proposition for a lot of people. Pick up soccer, played in the street, school yard, etc. is almost non-existant these days. It's making a comeback, but still...

One of the organizations I support is doing a lot of good work in the community to make soccer both accessible and affordable to low income kids.

throw in a few foreign languages, and you have the potential for the US to produce very competitive young people in the global marketplace.
Yep.

signals said:
You misunderstood me, or maybe I was a bit vague. The German team are German citizens. My beef is when players play in a different country for a club. Back in the late 60s, Italy closed it's borders to foreign players. The ones that were there were grandfathered in, but the mentality was that you give domestic players a chance, many were from the impoverished areas of the south. You also developed a play that was pure Italian and a force to be reckoned with.
Oh no, I got it. I was just thinking of how many Germans still play at places like Bayern, etc. I also think it's fair to say that the German style is very distinctive, and was certainly on display Tuesday.

WorldTraveler said:
so what changed, signals, that Italy decided to open its borders to other players?
Check out the Bosman ruling. It allowed players to transfer for free, allowed freedom of movement between countries and eliminated quotas (or restrictions) on foreign born players in many countries.

good to know you are as well versed on soccer as well as airline labor rulings, Kev. :)

it is free market access.. no different than in other industries.

Given the kids K hired were really Americans who were indoctrinated in Europe, I consider them examples of the globalization of not just the game but American culture.

I hope you do contribute to the development of soccer across the socioeconomic sector.... everything in American middle class life is an industry that is pre-planned and paid for.

great examples are made by the investment of time and energy... dads (and moms) side by side with their kids and their kids friends.... as well as new friends intentionally made for the benefit of the game.

as for German vs. Brazilian style, there has been more than one commentary asking if Brazilians need to learn the discipline and planning that the Germans use not just in soccer but in other parts of their lives.

that is a question they have to answer for themselves but it highlights that sport imitates life.

Nope.  World Cup final is tomorrow at 2pm.  

This is a pretty funny graphic of view ship between the World Cup and US football.

Beutler-Ink-Labs-%E2%80%94-World-Cup-viewers.jpg

According to the Wall St Journal, in the avg 3 hr NFL game has less than15 minutes of play.  Apparently they are using Congress as a bench mark for efficient use of time. 

On the other hand, Football (the one the rest of the world watches) there is an average of 64 min of play in a 90 min game according to National Arms Race

So why does it take American football 3 hrs to show less than 15 min of action? 

Here's a piece from Soccer America on the changes (and investments) Germany has made to the national team program...

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/59354/germanys-not-so-secret-key-to-success.html
[/quote
outstanding article, Kev.

thanks for sharing.

yes, success has to start with children, the process takes years and years, and nothing works if you don't do it within a culture that is committed to doing what it takes to win.

and those principles don't apply just to soccer.

I have a feeling there will be a lot of soul-searching and rethinking how to win the beautiful game by the time the sun rises Monday morning.

Thankfully, close mindedness is waning in the United States...even in the sporting community.

Ms Tree said:
According to the Wall St Journal, in the avg 3 hr NFL game has less than15 minutes of play.  Apparently they are using Congress as a bench mark for efficient use of time[/url]
LOL!

Disclaimer...I am a huge NFL fan and a season ticket holder to the Texans.

I am also a big Liverpool fan and follow the BPL, and (SerieA somewhat) every year

Kev3188 said:

You know what I find boring?

1 play...huddle...timeout...1 play...TV timeout... 1 play... "Rock you like a hurricane" played at deafening volume..1 play... John Madden...huddle...1 play...timeout... repeat.    :D
signals said:
It's boring if you're not good at it.
Kev, that's some funny stuff. :lol:

Signals, I played varsity football not soccer which I think was in PE along with tether ball.

The only thing I get out of soccer is a lot of drama and no scoring. The game should be played involves more scoring and less drama. ;)

For example, the soccer flop:

http://m..com/watch?v=B-KPVorsM8g

And everyday football fouls:

http://m.com/watch?v=rvsuYssoTw0

Ms Tree said:
Nope.  World Cup final is tomorrow at 2pm.  

This is a pretty funny graphic of view ship between the World Cup and US football.

The US loves soccer this month and tattoos are the latest fad. The similarities are striking. With one, you get a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling. The other, it's just soccer. Boring..,,,

Hey, everyone is doing it. Whatever makes you feel better or fit in with the crowd :lol:

The popularity is growing.  It truly is a world sport.  Foot ball is just the US.  Fifteen minutes of action spread out over 3 or 4 hours with close to 40 commercials an hour.  An you say soccer is boring? 

Back