WOs...RJs/Sjs

----------------
On 3/28/2003 6:38:36 PM WO/drone wrote:

I think that there will be turbo-props on express routes in the future. But they will be contract carriers, and as of this date none operate Dash-8s.
9.gif

----------------​

Unfortunately this is not true. Mesa operates 3 Dash 8s in the Florida system. They serve PNS/TPA/PBI/MIA/EYW and the islands.
Only problem is, one or two of them appear to be way past their prime and are often out of service cancelling 2 or 3 flights to the same city a day for various unrelated issues. This, even after one of them went out for a major overhaul. Will someone please just shoot Christine/Barney and put her (and us) out of our misery.

(FYI, the Barney reference is to the purple Mesa colors and Christine is in reference to the King book since she has a mind of her own. Its the same plane.)

"Most agree that the ERJ is a substandard aircraft and over all a loser in the RJ market. This coupled with the fact that the three CRJ''s are a common fleet type while the ERJ''s are not, make the CRJ a clear winner. Commonality is key."

I don''t know about the ERJ is a substandard aircraft over all. I saw another thread with pilots giving pro''s and con''s concerning the CRJ verse the ERJ. They also all agreed that CRJ-200 vs the 700/900 are different, both from passenger and pilot points of view.

As far as comminality the EMB 135/140/145 are also a common type. the 135 seats 37, the 140 seats 44 and the 145 seats 50. Continental Express, American Eagle, and Delta Connection use the ERJ''s on routes that were once exclusivly turbo-prop only.

"Unfortunately this is not true. Mesa operates 3 Dash 8s in the Florida system. They serve PNS/TPA/PBI/MIA/EYW and the islands."

CHQ uses the 135''s out of Florida for Delta to all of the cities listed above including EYW''s 4800 foot strip.

The EMB-170/175/190/195 will compete with the CRJ-700/900 once they are rolled out. the bigger EMB-170 will be able to carry 66-70 passengers, while the 195 will be able to carry as many as 108 passengers. While they won''t have a common type rating with the 135/140/145, they will be common between the 170/175/190/195. It has also been rumored that on this board and other boards that once MDA gets started up, they will be flying the larger Embraer''s.

----------------
On 3/30/2003 2:01:43 PM tadjr wrote:

Only problem is, one or two of them appear to be way past their prime and are often out of service cancelling 2 or 3 flights to the same city a day for various unrelated issues. This, even after one of them went out for a major overhaul. Will someone please just shoot Christine/Barney and put her (and us) out of our misery.

(FYI, the Barney reference is to the purple Mesa colors and Christine is in reference to the King book since she has a mind of her own. Its the same plane.)

----------------​

Barney was a headache during his short time period residing in the CLT system. My favorite was when the brakes caught on fire pulling up to gate on one afternoon. Smoke filled the area, the FA opened the cabin door and smoke went all through the cabin with passengers onboard. This was quite a sight. What is scary is that these Dash 8s are not that old! Piedmont has Dashes twice their age - and they are in much better shape. Effective maintenence procedures can go a long way...

Enjoy Barney down in the Florida system... keep him as long as you all want!

Cisco Wrote

As for the Dash-8 vs, the RJ cost issue, that is a moot pointe as well. The CRJ for example, costs no more per seat mile to operate than the Dash due to having more seats and no greater crew requirements and is much more flexible from an operations viewpoint. Ad to that the CRJ-700 and -900 and the cost is even lower due to available seating and common parts bin. The CRJ-900 operated by Mesa will be the first aircraft to have a lower cost per ASM than a Southwest 737...
-----------------------------------------------------

Give me a break, you brag about the CRJ 700/900 and Seat cost. You must fly for Mesa, and just signed a TA that has set the whole Regional Industry back 10 Years. Every regional in this country has not one ounce of respect for your company. The pay rates on the 700/900 at mesa are LOW, ACA and Comair and other companies make more flying 50 seats with 100% better work rules. So please post all this crappy info on a MESA board.

ALG and PDT operate their Dash-8s at about a 40% load to break even, approx. 17 people on 37 seat aircraft. That is a low cost on average no matter how you look at it. Heck United still operates 727s at more than 3x the fuel burn of an a-320, any guess about their loss per seat mile?

Cisco is a whore who was furloughed at USAir and stooped low enough to fly for Freedom (Mesa). He will once again try to justify why he had to do it. I''m sure.........

----------------
On 3/28/2003 7:00:48 PM Light Years wrote:

This is ideal to maintain service in places like Atlantic City, Franklin/Oil City, Groton, Bluefield/ Princeton etc. There may also be a need for a slightly larger turboprop as well, because there are some markets that just cant justify the cost of an RJ or simply dont have the runway space.
----------------​
I would imagine many of these markets will lose service altogether. Groton for example is within easy driving distance of PVD, so keeping service there isn''t likely to be a priority. Atlantic City is proving that it can support far more than prop service with Spirit providing mailine MD80 service and DL bringing RJ''s in.

I noticed that last week, Colgan gave 90-day notice to terminate service at Lebanon, NH. Another small market thats biting the dust. Over the course of the next 10 years, I could imagine about 50-75 small airports losing all service.

It''s not just about RJ vs prop economics. It''s about the economics of small-town service altogether....especially for small towns that are within reasonable driving distance of a major city that has low-fare service.

----------------
On 3/31/2003 12:51:42 PM DLFlyer31 wrote:

I noticed that last week, Colgan gave 90-day notice to terminate service at Lebanon, NH.  Another small market thats biting the dust.  Over the course of the next 10 years, I could imagine about 50-75 small airports losing all service. 

----------------​

I''m suprised Colgan is dumping LEB. I would have thought that Dartmouth College would have been good to keep those planes full (last time I flew up there it was BOS-RUT-LEB-RUT-BOS as a turn).

Hey Billy, thats an ALPA contract which is less than management offered to the Mesa pilots a year ago, less than mgmnt offered the CCAir pilots before D.W. tanked them, and less than Freedom Airlines!

My point about the CRJ being a better aircraft is cost. The 50, 70, and 90 seat versions all share the same pilots and parts bin which is where most money is saved. The ERJ 50, 70, and 90 seat aircraft do not share common pilots or parts bins.

Embraer is just targeting slightly different niches. Bombardier has the commonality between there 50, 70 and 90 seat aircraft. Embreaer has commonality between it''s 37, 44, and 50 seat aircraft and cominality between it''s 70,78,98, and 108 seat aircraft.

It all depends on what airlines want and feel they need as well as how Embreaer and Bombardier market there aircraft.

Latest posts