WOs...RJs/Sjs

A few questions about the WO's and RJs I'm not clear on. As it stands now...

*Which wholly-owned will be the first to get RJs?

All three W/O's will get CRJ's at about the same time! The W/O'S pilot seniority list has been merged. However, it is far easier and faster to incorporate the aircraft at the individual W/O'S first rather than combine the W/O's and then start training. Two A/C at each W/O'ed each month equals six total A/C a month vs. a combined Co. aquiring and training for two A/C a month? It makes sense if you think about it?

*Will they be divided equally between the
3?

See above.

*Will the 3 current WOs operate 70 seaters, if so, who?

Not sure? Chief Pilot at PSA told me that although the type rating is the same there is an addition five hour sim training course for the CRJ700 as it has leading edge devices and additional center fus. fuel tank and some other stuff the CRJ 200 does not! CRJ700 is actually a 66 coach class seat A/C. I'm sure Express will not be allowed to have First Class seats as that would be to similiar to mainline service.

*When will MAA start up, with how many planes, and how large to they intend to make it?

During the hearings concerning the Mainline pilot's pension termination the CFO stated that MDA would have three ERJ170 A/C by OCT. 03.

*With the new consolidation with the WOs, will they merge or still operate as seperate entities?

Again see above and the post that appears further down. ALG has taken over many of the admin. responsibility's and has absorbed the Materials Subsidiary. Remember that Seigel started out at CAL Ex. and eventually became Pres. of CAL Ex.
This happened at a time when CAL Ex. was combining Ex. company's into what CAL Ex. is today! CAL Ex. has been spun off as an IPO. Seigel has stated that he wants to spin off the US.Ex. as an IPO for cash!

*When will the first US Airways (meaning MDA/PS/AL/PI) RJ be delivered?

As stated by Seigel "when all union contracts are signed and mainline emerges from BK".

*Will the company owned RJs all be a standard type like Embraer or will they just get a motley mix of whats avalable?

As above CRJ! Personally I get the feeling that because of the code share agreements already signed for fifty seat RJ's (I think the number firm/options exceeds 200) and given the weak market for new aircraft maybe the CRJ700 for the W/O'ed?

*Also, are we or have we ever been in discussion with Fairchild Dornier in regard to theit 328JET and larger... seems like we'd be saving them and wed have them all to ourselves if a deal was worked out?

Yes and No! Pres. of PSA came from now defunct MidWay Airlines and with him came the Do328's at US. He holds the contract for the replacement of the Do328 props for Do328 jets. He can replace each Prop for a jet at 1 million bones each. A Do328 jet was in the hanger at PSA in the fall of 99. Rumors ran wild. Nothing ever came of it! Dornier went BK! A Co. from I think West Virginia bought out the the 328 program early in the year? Adlantic coast still has some A/C orders?

A post about Do328 performance?

The jet is not that much faster and for the money not really worth it! The 44 seat jet was scraped about three years ago! O, a post farther states that the Do328 jet is "under powered" nothing could be farther from the truth! The Do328 prop does just fine on one engine!

The Do 328 Jet climbs like a "Raped APE". The cruise speed is the "dog" of the problem. It's only about 50kts faster than the prop (the Do 328prop cruises at about 320Kts. If you press the ITT to 800 c then about 350Kts. The jet does about 380kts. or 400kts if pressed hard)

During flight testing of the jet the deice boots were "Peeling off" at the higher airspeeds. Hence the "limiting cruise speeds". Mercedes Benz Aerospace designed and built the Do328. The Do328 is like a fine sports car. It's got all the goodies. The best Glass cockpit, (Honeywell 2000) and overpowered (turbopprop/jet)engines. It is built for speed. The problem is that it needs TLC. The airline industry can't afford to much TLC.

I don't think you will ever see the Do328 jet here,("US", Northeast markets) as Adlantic Coast has reallized it is just not a good money maker.(Among other reasons, they have pulled their crew base out of LGA and moved it to CVG) The stage lenght vs. speed vs. cost is not justified! (CSM/RSM) The 30 seat turbo-prop will always be needed in the northeast for US as every airline analyst has predicted. CHA and its subsidiaries will replace the W/O'ed turboprop service with those saab 340's.

You think I'm wrong?
If you ever get to BNA, check out that refurb. company on the NW side of the field. Lots and lots of Saab 340's being repainted into US Ex. colors!

It always struck me as odd that management is so HOT on RJ's. Has any of them been in an ERJ,YIKES! It has the smallest headroom by far, high wing load, uncomfortable seats, loads of problems(windshield changes are as common as a tire change). The DHC-400 from what I have heard, is fast, quite, big inside, and built like a DASH. The parts would be relativly interchangable with the older fleet, ah what am I doing, the guys making real money have made up their mind about the future of US and the w/o's. Who needs to confuse the situation with good ideas.

In my personal opinion, there is a whole lot going on beyond the board rooms. Many medium to small communities want air service which they do not have. No one wants a prop. They all want a jet. They do not have the passengers to support a B-737, MD-80, etc. but they don't care. They still want a jet. i.e... RJ. Not only would it give the Mayor/Governor political clout for reelection; in many cases it will bring in Federal funds for airport improvements. i.e... jobs for local economy - more political clout.

You bet the public wants to fly on a jet just this AM I had the "pleasure" of working on the "wonderful" Dash-8 and got to listen to the passengers ***** and complain and say comments like "next time honey, can we fly on Comair or ASA, look they fly jets" or " my God and hate to ride in this rattle trap piece of junk" or "I wonder if we will get above the clouds or have to bounce like a ball all the way there"....and on and on its a daily event. Its time to forget the props and the rubber on the wing!!!

As a passenger who flies on 2 or more Dash 8's per week, I have gotten used to the noise and rattling in the cabin, the relatively slow speeds and climbs (ISP-PHL requires a climb to the east to 8000 feet before the aircraft can turn southwest toward PHL). In the past I have assisted crews in explaining what certain noises are to worried passengers.

My problem with the fleet is that it may not be receiving all the maintenance it should-how long would it take to tighten up interior components during a long overnight to reduce the rattling inside? These aircraft are sometimes not cleaned either, and look just plain old. I am making observations here--these do not constiture a real complaint on my part, but people notice, and unfortunately, perception is everything.

Perhaps upgrading some Dash 8's to "Q" standards (I understand the cabins can be retrofit), or picking up some Q-200's might mitigate some of the problems. I flew on a newer Piedmont Q-200 once and the difference was night and day-actually quieter than a CRJ inside.

I do prefer jets, but if the Dash's have to stay, at least keepem clean and quiet....

Art with ref. to your post, the dash 8 Q models are the newer dash 400 models, Piedmont only ops. the standard -100 -200 -300, models and AGL, I think only has -100 and -200. As far as tighten up the interiors on the aircrafts the constant vibration of the prop is a constant problem, the interior noise/rattles are sadly a fact of the props, and all can not be a stopped.Bring on the jets!!!! As far as the cleaning of the equipment, a contract firm does it , and not very well.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/16/2003 12:39:06 PM N786P wrote:

Art with ref. to your post, the dash 8 Q models are the newer dash 400 models, Piedmont only ops. the standard -100 -200 -300, models and AGL, I think only has -100 and -200. As far as tighten up the interiors on the aircrafts the constant vibration of the prop is a constant problem, the interior noise/rattles are sadly a fact of the props, and all can not be a stopped.Bring on the jets!!!! As far as the cleaning of the equipment, a contract firm does it , and not very well.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually, Art is right. The PDT -200's have/had the NVS system. They had active noise suppression, and passive vibration reduction enhancements. The -200 Q models are nice and quite compared to the standard 100 model. Art would have noticed a difference between a PDT -200 with NVS working, over a standard 100. However, that being said, PDT is disabiling the NVS systems on the -200's, probably because they are a bit unreliable

The Saabs are cheap, but not cheap to operate. Name another regional a/c tubo-prop that uses GE engines? No the most fuel efficient. And the Saab has weak gear and flap track problems. All aircraft have their problems, product support, initial cost, useful load!!!! these are things that drive a/c purchase. The ATR family are good planes, but they are expensive to maintain and have the black eye from the icing crash. In Europe pax don''t care whether it is a prop or jet the just want to get there. Whatever is on the ramp, jet or prop, we can fly it. we can fix it!

I think the 340 is so popular because it is such a versatile aircraft. It performs well is wintry (unlike the ATR) and warm conditions, and there don''t seem to be many issues with wieght and balance (unlike the J41). It also has a very good safety record.

For Pineybob, the DeHaviland DHC-8 is the current decendant of a long line of rugged, reliable aircraft from DeHaviland of Canada. Although designed in the mid eighties it incorporates very moderen construction, bonded/chemically milled skin panels to reduce weight without compromising strength, composite fairings, and components. Third world? yeah there is an operator that is looking to move a few way down South America way soon. But these guys want rugged and reliable, not junk. Yes the Dash-8,100 is limited to 230 kts, but that is a saftey factor, it will do 300 kts easy. The new DHC-400 has 5,500 shaft horsepower, holds the time to climb record for twin turboprops. The Dash-100s have 2,100 horsepower and seat a maximum 37, Dash-200 have 2,500 hp and seat 37 also, Dash-300 seat 50 with 2,500 hp, Dash-400 seats 70 and the more powerful engines allow higher faster flights. All of these have an excellent short field take-off and landing. Overall they are easy to fly, easy to service and very safe. The 100s are getting up there in airline years though, and will probably be replaced with small jets at the USAirways wholly owned operators. The Dash was purpose built for part FAR121 scheduled air carrier operations, many of the small jets are adaptations of business jets and modified prop bodies, like life, everything aviation is a compromise. If any comercial aircraft was "junk" they would not sell for long. Also the Dash 100and200s will just about lift their empty weight doubled, ant other civil aircraft in curent airline use due that? All over we will see more small jets, but there will be a market for turbo props too, if fuel costs double who knows what types will become popular? Should ticket prices reflect equipment used? Most of the public would rather pay less than more, even by a few dollars. It will take a few more years, but things will shake out. Good luck to all. Hope this answered some questions Bob. All you industry guys, lets not forget what the job is, get the paying customer to their destination, safely and on time!

Bob, I think your right about the Dash- great plane, just a homely looking fella!

I like the Dornier too, he looks like a fish. Theyll all be replaced by "pencil-jets", or the "lawn-dart" as its known.

Latest posts