Your very OBJECTIVE opinion please

Informed1

Advanced
Nov 18, 2006
I'm looking for very objective opinions from current east flight attendants. My story, a very short one that I am not going to fluff because we all know what it is really like, is this;

I was furloughed for 3 years. I could not wait to return to the line and got recalled in June 2006. I have been flying since and have found out that this job has definetly changed and is in no way the same as it used to be. The only resemblance to the old US is the paint job and interior of the aircraft. Prior to returning I had a pretty good job that I was lucky enough to find while furloughed. The job is in a growing field that yields job security and a good pay check. I gave it up because US Airways, its people, and aviation in general "was in my blood". We all know once that happens you never get rid of it. So I came back. I have been on reserve, and will be for years to come. My lifestyle changed from one where I have total control of everything, to waiting by the phone for scheduling and collecting, if lucky, $1600.00 a month. My dilema is this, should I quit now and go back to that job or does anyone think there is a future here? I understand that it is MY decision. But I am not able to be objective about it because my emmotions are involved here. I spent my whole life wanting to be a flight attendant for US! Now I need to decide if the rest of that life will be worse with US or better. Does anyone have any insight? And please, I am asking for objective advice not criticism.

Do you have to make an immediate decision? If not, hang out and see what happens with the new contract. Often times having a backup plan in place relieves a lot of pressure.

I was furloughed, went to MidTitanic and was furloughed, and then back to mainline. The only way I survive is that I live in base and work a second job. If I am forced into a commuting situation, I will have to re-evaluate my situation at that time and make the choices that are best for my family.

Here's a viewpoint from the AA perspective...

If US Airways management is anything like AA, (and I suspect it is), here is the future. I think that the airlines are doing their best to make the job of f/a as untenable as possible. Their hope is that people will quit thinking of this job as a career, and it will go back to being what it once was (with a slight exception).

Namely, that the job of flight attendant is something that young ladies of nice legs and good family do for a few years after college until they A. find a real job; B. Get married; C. Get tired of living on nothing and having to share an apartment with 3 other people just to be able to afford to keep the lights on.

The exception...that people like me who have an income from another source--retirement, investments, inherited it--do for a few years for the fun of it after having other careers.

Now, I am the first to agree with you that this job gets in your blood. The whole time I was on furlough (17 months) I kept thinking that I ought to go out and get a job. Then I would think, "Go to the same place. EVERY DAY? At the same time. EVERY DAY? Work with the same people. EVERY DAY? Oh, I think not." :lol: But then, because I have an income from my investments, etc. I can afford that kind of thinking. If you want a "career" with hope of advancement and a livable wage, this ain't the job for you.

Do you have to make an immediate decision? If not, hang out and see what happens with the new contract. Often times having a backup plan in place relieves a lot of pressure.

I was furloughed, went to MidTitanic and was furloughed, and then back to mainline. The only way I survive is that I live in base and work a second job. If I am forced into a commuting situation, I will have to re-evaluate my situation at that time and make the choices that are best for my family.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I need to make a decision relatively quick and I'm afraid as soon as I do we will get a contract with raises and improvements in our work rules.

I agree, RUN, don't walk. If this new job gives you any sort of satisfaction, and allows you to have a life not tied to a cell phone and CATCREW, go NOW.

I understand how you feel about the "airline-life in your blood" thing, and I know the real world sucks, but if you've got a good thing out there, I say GO!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I need to make a decision relatively quick and I'm afraid as soon as I do we will get a contract with raises and improvements in our work rules.
Take a long leave. They have never taken away the educational leave and there are only around six people out on it system-wide. You need to fill out the form and get it in two months in advance and of course, you'll actually have to take a class at an accredited institution. You'll have to provide proof as well as state your plans and needs in terms of the length of schooling. You will not be restricted to getting another job while in school, like the one that you just left. I will be taking a four year leave soon and I won't lose any seniority for step increases since I've already maxed out. Contact Peter H. G. in administration by calling the DCA inflight office. You can pm me too.

You are all talking about "Lifer's" in the industry. All of a sudden the world CRASHED! at 911! This is of course in the eyes of the emerging airline industry' own "EYES"! Guess airlines feel they should recreate the WORLD by eradicating "old world" personnel. "NEW WORLD ORDER" is of the third world mentality. "WE SURVIVE ON CHEAP LABOR" and SURVIVE on the WORLD competition on the result of it.

My lifestyle changed from one where I have total control of everything, to waiting by the phone for scheduling and collecting, if lucky, $1600.00 a month.

sky high states:
I copied the DOLLAR AMOUNT because that is what you ultimately have to PUT UP WITH. OUR LIFESTYLE has changed as well. Dirty, cheap Hotels, working filthy planes, ATC delays, working along side bad attitudes and a product, most say, is an embarrassment. We used to be Nordstom's............now we're Walmart. There's NO RESPECT in this job anymore!!
I've talked to several ex-F/A's and they all say, they miss flying for the first year....but eventually enjoy the "ground."

remember...........if your spirit dies, 8 hours each day. You need to change your life!

only stating opinions

There are alot of jobs out there with equivalent pay and no nostalgia involved. Remember it as it was and move on to something new.

USCREW just gave you some good advice. You should consider taking the educational leave so that way if you do decide to come back later on you can. I am feeling the same as you. It's just not the job we once had. If I were offered a better job tomorrow though I would leave US Airways even if I couldn't get an educational leave because the industry has changed and this is no longer a career. Or at least they don't want it to be a career for us anymore. Let us know what you decide and I am happy for you that you have other options. Good luck!

I would wait. Wait until the combined contracts have occurred. You have waited this much, what is a bit more? At least you can see where eveything is, pay wise and seniority wise.
This job is in my blood, but age is in my favor. I WILL ride this out, either way. That is not an option for eveyone. So chose wisely.
I do love the dumbness of my job...

I have no idea how anyone can make a career out of being a flight attendant. If you have skills that are in demand in another industry, put them to use and get yourself a nice paycheck. I'm not familiar with the ages of FAs in the system but I don't know if I would expect massive change due to retirements like you're going to see on the pilot side. You may see some check out since PIT is closing, and that may help upward mobility, but I don't know if that's going to be enough to help you.

I have no idea how anyone can make a career out of being a flight attendant. If you have skills that are in demand in another industry, put them to use and get yourself a nice paycheck.
Maybe you are not too familiar with the F/A career. Before our two paycuts and changes in the contract, it was not inconcieveable to make $80K a year flying six trip transatlantic and vacation fly-back. That's not too bad for a person who may not have other marketable skills. Plus, for the right person, it's a fun job as well a lifestyle that's hard to match. I love my job and wished that the industry had not forced many of us to reconsider our futures. If you have a ground job, it may be difficult for you to appreciate the appeal of a true-traveling career.

What everyone needs to understand is that there are two "different" careers going on here. You have the Block Holder and the reserve careers.

You have to ask yourself... "Will I still love the job as a Block Holder"?

Please don't base your decision on the "reserve" career. We all know that this system sucks bad. It HAS TO change at some point.

Aside from some that commute, I never hear block holders complain about not making their bills. :down: