Your very OBJECTIVE opinion please

Personally, the best thing I did was resign. If I had taken a VF I would’ve been tempted to come back. Well, only if I could do one four day a month with really great layovers.

What is it really about it that gets in your blood? In my present work I travel occasionally and interact with people, so I guess in some ways I still do the same thing.

It's the escapism...kinda like this blog.

That is sooooooooo true. When I was furloughed and working an 8 to 5 job there were many days that I was tempted to just drive to the airport, hop on an airplane (it didn't matter where it was going) and just get away. Sigh. I never actually did it but many weekends I would drive to the beach just to get away.

That’s it.

I always kept the US job compartmentalized from the rest of my personal and professional life. I never dated anyone that worked for the airline, and I never even took one of my girlfriends on a trip.
That's too bad! I found dating an airline person(s) was great fun (note: not marry). We'd work trips together, and fly to different events all over. It was perfect--for that purpose.

Coming from a West fa's point of view. We never had it "made" like the Easties, before two bk's, and 9-11. I have always been use to sh!t wages. If this is REALLY what YOU WANT, don't let anyone talk you out of it. I am happy I have stuck it out. Our schedules are way better for junior folks out West. My wage still sux, but I make this place work for me, and not against me. I am sticking it out because I really love the job, and it has gotten better over the years at least for me. But this is with the least expectations possible, because I am use to the America West mentality. Good luck on your decisions. :)

Is this post for real? You are asking perfect strangers on a public forum for advice about your career? May I suggest therapy? Or perhaps a tarot card reading?

Is this post for real? You are asking perfect strangers on a public forum for advice about your career? May I suggest therapy? Or perhaps a tarot card reading?

Your comment was unnecessary! We used to have it good here at US Airways East and now things are in shambles with our low wages, poor working conditions, inhumane reserve system, etc. but because US is now making a profit and now that we are in negotiations things could be looking up for us. The OP loves being a f/a but is unhappy with our working conditions. Things just aren't how they used to be and the airline we know today as US Airways is NOT the same airline we worked for in 2000. Informed simply is wanting to know whether to stick it out and wait for things to get better or whether they will even get better or if he/she should hang up the wings and move on with life. There is nothing wrong with that. Oh, and BTW many of us are not perfect strangers. We are Informed's colleagues who are at the same seniority in the same base.

You need to go back to school and learn some reading comprehension skills because what part of

I'm looking for very objective opinions from current east flight attendants. My story, a very short one that I am not going to fluff because we all know what it is really like, is this;

I was furloughed for 3 years. I could not wait to return to the line and got recalled in June 2006. I have been flying since and have found out that this job has definetly changed and is in no way the same as it used to be. The only resemblance to the old US is the paint job and interior of the aircraft. Prior to returning I had a pretty good job that I was lucky enough to find while furloughed. The job is in a growing field that yields job security and a good pay check. I gave it up because US Airways, its people, and aviation in general "was in my blood". We all know once that happens you never get rid of it. So I came back. I have been on reserve, and will be for years to come. My lifestyle changed from one where I have total control of everything, to waiting by the phone for scheduling and collecting, if lucky, $1600.00 a month. My dilema is this, should I quit now and go back to that job or does anyone think there is a future here? I understand that it is MY decision. But I am not able to be objective about it because my emmotions are involved here. I spent my whole life wanting to be a flight attendant for US! Now I need to decide if the rest of that life will be worse with US or better. Does anyone have any insight? And please, I am asking for objective advice not criticism.

do you not understand?

After reading all the replies, I would say that you should really look at leaving. The other job offers you more control over your life and with 1600 per week vs. 1600 per month you can afford to fly wherever you want. Use the added control over your life you will have to schedule in some fun trips, even a long weekend trips are good for the soul.

The above advice is only good if you enjoyed the job you are thinking of returning to.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

RUN, DO NOT WALK TO THE NEAREST EXIT. EVACUATE in 90 Seconds or less.

It may be difficult to adjust to the "aviation is in my blood" thing. Believe me I got over it. You will too. I now work for an employer that appreciates my efforts and rewards me accordingly; at a salary, where I can afford to buy an airplane ticket when I need one.

Think of weekends and holidays off, with friends and family.

And think of living above the poverty level.

Is there any choice?

RUN, DO NOT WALK TO THE NEAREST EXIT. EVACUATE in 90 Seconds or less.

It may be difficult to adjust to the "aviation is in my blood" thing. Believe me I got over it. You will too. I now work for an employer that appreciates my efforts and rewards me accordingly; at a salary, where I can afford to buy an airplane ticket when I need one.

Think of weekends and holidays off, with friends and family.

And think of living above the poverty level.

Is there any choice?
I had to chuckle at this---hehehe....
I have moved on to another career but my schedule doesn't look anywhere that nice. ~major understatement~!!!!! I will have to work all holidays, week-ends, some nights and some 24 hour shifts. AND....if there's ever any weather problems like a blizzard, tornado, flood, etc...a big SUV will come by my house to make sure I get to work okay! <_<