AA and Labor Negotiations-2020

How bad are the flights being cut for you guys in the NYC / NJ area? We are right in the hot zone for this virus and people are getting sick and are hospitalized. I have decided to take 30 days off (unpaid) so I can get better. Not all can do this, but I'm glad can without taking a financial hit. I like my job very much, but I love my life!!! I got tested recently (went thru a lot of hoops contrary to what people say about the ease and availability of the tests) My symptoms proved negative for COVID 19, but I might as well stay home since flight activity is so low. Before I left, we are doing a lot of cargo only and some repatriation flights, but since states are requesting quarantining NY/NJ/CT passengers, for 14 days, flight activity is so low, the terminal is like a ghost town. A lot of people took the leave (3 months / 6 months) and got the required numbers (before things got worse and the airline package got approved). Now people are either using sick time or taking authorized time off, (either weekly or daily). I've never seen anything like this at all.......

Those of you in the Tri-State area, stay safe, be healthy and hopefully all will get back to some normalcy.

AFA just announced that UA will be down to 15 flts./day at EWR, and 2 daily at LGA?Strange days.

Hope you feel better ASAP!!

My story is that I am down to 38% immunosuppressed.
I took off this last week on vacation since there was a positive on my dock.

Reactions: swamt
AFA just announced that UA will be down to 15 flts./day at EWR, and 2 daily at LGA?Strange days.

Hope you feel better ASAP!!

It’s true. Nobody wants to go into the hot zone, and people from there are being ordered to self-quarantine on arrival, so UA pulled the plug at one of their larger hubs.

Never seen anything like that before, but its a brave move. I can’t imagine DL is far behind. AA? Who knows.

E. In May at DCA we will have 29 flights..both mainline n express combined just May alone. I hope things will turn but im very skeptical bout it

How bad are the flights being cut for you guys in the NYC / NJ area? We are right in the hot zone for this virus and people are getting sick and are hospitalized. I have decided to take 30 days off (unpaid) so I can get better. Not all can do this, but I'm glad can without taking a financial hit. I like my job very much, but I love my life!!! I got tested recently (went thru a lot of hoops contrary to what people say about the ease and availability of the tests) My symptoms proved negative for COVID 19, but I might as well stay home since flight activity is so low. Before I left, we are doing a lot of cargo only and some repatriation flights, but since states are requesting quarantining NY/NJ/CT passengers, for 14 days, flight activity is so low, the terminal is like a ghost town. A lot of people took the leave (3 months / 6 months) and got the required numbers (before things got worse and the airline package got approved). Now people are either using sick time or taking authorized time off, (either weekly or daily). I've never seen anything like this at all.......

Those of you in the Tri-State area, stay safe, be healthy and hopefully all will get back to some normalcy.
Take care of uno-numero first and foremost.
Hope you get better soon T5. Great decision to stay home and get better. Praying for ya to recover quickly...

Talked to a fleet guy today. He's a shop steward and said AA is already making side agreements or amendments to the newly ratified contract. They hit the part timers on the ramp with a reduction in weekly hours. Don't know if it went into affect yet or they are still working on details. This is only the beginning. Sounds like negotiations are still continuing even though we voted and ratified a contract. If I get more info I'll post what I find out.

Talked to a fleet guy today. He's a shop steward and said AA is already making side agreements or amendments to the newly ratified contract. They hit the part timers on the ramp with a reduction in weekly hours. Don't know if it went into affect yet or they are still working on details. This is only the beginning. Sounds like negotiations are still continuing even though we voted and ratified a contract. If I get more info I'll post what I find out.
May is when PT goes to 3 day 5 hr shifts. Supposedly its a temporary thing but im not bettin on it. Esp if reports come true that air trafic doesnt pick up n if things get worse etc

It's in the contract... as you know, I'm not a fan of the ASS, but do believe in facts.

Hey Al, I’m hearing things are pretty cushy in LGA and JFK. Is it true that you guys are working only working one day and getting paid for 5, a lot or rumors running around here and need some clarification.

already covered.

as far as the voluntary leaves, P/Ters seem to be gobbling up the 3 and 6 month leaves paying them 25% of their wages. cutting them to 15 hrs. a week would do that, along with firemen and cops working PT at aa, with aa not being their primary job.

the issue here is that contractually, i'm guessing FT is guaranteed 40 hrs a week and maybe PTers are guaranteed 15 at a minimum. i quickly looked at contract, couldn't find anything, but i'm sure it's there.

ex union president in my station told me many years ago, twu contract negotiated that way..maybe iam does things differently.

Beginning of what?

Local 501 Secures Stay Home with Pay During Pandemic
On 75th Anniversary, with International’s Assistance

On their 75th anniversary of becoming part of the TWU, Local 501 has secured a tremendous victory.

Local 501 members are Fleet Service and Maintenance & Related workers based in LaGuardia and JFK International Airports in New York City – which currently has the highest number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.

Local 501 President Victor Gonzalez explained, “We are the hotbed right now. We had a very high number of confirmed cases in our workforce, which led our members to reach out to me. In return, I reached out to the International.”

Local President Gonzalez provided International President John Samuelsen with all the details needed, such as the confirmed number of members infected, and the International was able to get results.

Local 501 came to an agreement with American Airlines to allow workers based at LaGuardia and JFK Airports to work one day out of their workweek and stay home other four days with pay, to stop the spread of the virus. The agreement covers 95% of the local.

“This is the way things should always work. Members express concern to their local, local leadership contacts the International, and members can get the assistance they need – and deserve,” President Samuelsen said. “This is a tremendous victory.”

“We did it to protect our members’ safety and livelihoods,” Gonzalez said.

already covered.

the issue here is that contractually, i'm guessing FT is guaranteed 40 hrs a week and maybe PTers are guaranteed 15 at a minimum. i quickly looked at contract, couldn't find anything, but i'm sure it's there.

ex union president in my station told me many years ago, twu contract negotiated that way..maybe iam does things differently.

Beginning of what?
If the PTers get cut to 15 hours they can file unemployment to get some of the lost money back. Taking the LOA would disqualify that I would think. When you are at the bottom of the pay scale you have to make some choices about how to get by.

any numbers on buy out or vloa for maint. must not be what company was hoping for very quite . I am sure SWAMT will have the numbers soon!