AA extends 737MAX-related cancellations to Sept.3rd

Allegations relating to the 787 Dreamliner have centered on shoddy work and cutting corners at the company’s South Carolina plant.
I wonder if this story is because the union vote failed at the Charleston plant?

Looks like it may be a little longer until the MAX goes wheels up again.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-demands-for-boeing-before-max-can-fly-again
The thing that gets me is the number of airline people on this forum who are still saying that the grounding of the MAXes is more politics than safety-related. I'm beginning to agree with swamt... I'm not sure the MAX a/c will ever emerge as a profitable product. There's entirely too many problems that seem to pop up out of nowhere and are followed by a Boeing statement that "Yes, we know about that problem. We were just waiting for the 2nd generation of the MAX 8 to fix it We do not see the problem of the autopilot not disengaging as it should as a major safety issue."

Last edited:
The thing that gets me is the number of airline people on this forum who are still saying that the grounding of the MAXes is more politics than safety-related. I'm beginning to agree with swamt... I'm not sure the MAX a/c will ever emerge as a profitable product. There's entirely too many problems that seem to pop up out of nowhere and are followed by a Boeing statement that "Yes, we know about that problem. We were just waiting for the 2nd generation of the MAX 8 to fix it We do not see the problem of the autopilot not disengaging as it should as a major safety issue."
Parker made that quote publically and then shortly after that Boeing found another problem that is hardware related.

I can tell you all, Boeing IS moving forward/planning on getting the fix approved. They actually ARE flying the MAX around America with Boeing crews; B1 out of Renton Municipal to the 737 Seattle Delivery Ctr(where I work), on out to the paint facilities at Spokane, Victorville, Portland and New Iberia(as well as Renton & SDC paint facilities)...

We have hundreds of new hires, loan-ins from Flight Test, Everett(777X is having some issues w the new GE motors-which are even bigger than the GE90s)...so, they’re anticipating getting the “fix” blessed by all authorities. First will be FAA/U.S. customers, then EASA, Asian customers etc.
There’s also another element here, as I see it. The FAA has long been criticized for having a much too cozy relationship with Boeing. And they’ve been exposed. The Feds don’t like being exposed.
Posturing, and exhibiting exemplary competence is being employed now.

Word is we are well on our way to over 300 planes parked at Seattle, Everett, Moses Lake, San Antonio....awaiting the fix.
We are all hoping a software update will cure what ails this plane.
If it’s going involve hardware, it’ll be a bigger mess. This whole thing is costing Boeing BIG...I MEAN BIG! Anywhere else....heads would’ve already rolled.

As I strolled down the Flight Test halls Friday night after an easy evenings “work”(it’s actually rather slow at SDC these days)...I found myself constantly shaking my head, as I looked at all the old Boeing legacy pictures hanging on the walls. A bygone era where Boeing was a pioneer in aviation. Place is a shell of itself now. Just sad....

I found these two expose’s rather disturbing, but unfortunately true. Just so tragic to see such an American icon like Boeing be so damn mismanaged. “ALL STARTED WITH THE MERGER”...
Over and over, what I keep hearing.

https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/the-coming-boeing-bailout

Last edited:
Parker made that quote publically and then shortly after that Boeing found another problem that is hardware related.
AA just extended yet again. Pretty sure SWA will follow shortly as well as UAL and others. AA now pushing off into Nov. 2nd 2019. I still say it won't be this year.
787nighmare, Couple questions. Do you foresee the Max back in service this year? Early next year?? Or not even 1st Q of 2020??? Also, I have also stated that I think a second AOA back up system should be added as well, are they thinking about doing this? I still cannot believe that Boeing did not install the 2nd AOA backup system like on all other Boeing Aircraft. Just thinking out loud here. Great hearing from you again.
OOps. Forgot to add link:

American cancels flights tied to Boeing 737 Max through Nov. 2

AA just extended yet again. Pretty sure SWA will follow shortly as well as UAL and others. AA now pushing off into Nov. 2nd 2019. I still say it won't be this year.
787nighmare, Couple questions. Do you foresee the Max back in service this year? Early next year?? Or not even 1st Q of 2020??? Also, I have also stated that I think a second AOA back up system should be added as well, are they thinking about doing this? I still cannot believe that Boeing did not install the 2nd AOA backup system like on all other Boeing Aircraft. Just thinking out loud here. Great hearing from you again.
OOps. Forgot to add link:

American cancels flights tied to Boeing 737 Max through Nov. 2
That's one strong political reason to keep them grounded. Parker claimed it was political.

Wow! The hits just keep coming in. The Max 8 is DONE. Stick a fork in her. Even if they do release her, she will not be back in the air this year folks...
At what point Swampy does Gary Kelly and SWA BOD throw in the towel and tell Boeing , we no longer trust your piece of **** Airplane, build us some 800 NG. ,and we go buy an Airline with Airbus on order, just like we bought Airtran for their 800s on order. I am sure SWA has plan B, when this goes South.

Read this morning on WSJ that Boeing is looking at the year 2020 before the MAX will fly again. With all the pushback dates since the grounding I believe it's a bigger problem than initially anticipated and again someone is not being honest to the aviation community.

Sorry, but it's all politics. Given all the questions over initial certification, FAA doesn't want to give the impression they're being soft on oversight, Boeing can't make waves, and the airlines don't want to be perceived as putting profits ahead of safety.

United also pushed their cancellations out to early November.

Reactions: 787nightmare