AA flight overshoots runway in Jamaica

Thankfully EVERYONE is safe !!!

I wonder what an A-320 would have looked like, if the situation were reversed !

Boeing :up:
I seem to recall that the A-320 that landed in the Hudson river held up pretty well. :blink:

Maybe they will bring the engines to Tulsa so we can cannibilize the spare parts needed for a decent turntime and stop outsourcing our CFM-56 engine work jobs to Struthers in Wichita Kansas and leasing 26 engines from SES and Willis to fly the 737 fleet.

Maybe they will bring the engines to Tulsa so we can cannibilize the spare parts needed for a decent turntime and stop outsourcing our CFM-56 engine work jobs to Struthers in Wichita Kansas and leasing 26 engines from SES and Willis to fly the 737 fleet.
Was it a DCA Crew?

Quick question, is that just a trashy beach, or is that debris from the crash. I see a tire at the bottom of the pic. (second pic)

I seem to recall that the A-320 that landed in the Hudson river held up pretty well. :blink:

Yea that was a controlled glide into the water at normal glide slope rate in VFR conditions. It was a smooth landing although it was on the water. Can not compare the two.

The lower aft body of the A320 was heavily damaged and ripped open after landing in the Hudson. It's visible
in the pics as the aircraft was moved through the NJ streets.

This also made the issue of the FA opening the rear door a moot point. Even if she did open the door, it made no difference, water was coming in underneath, where it was open 10X the surface area of the door.

I understood perfectly what he was saying. Pull your head out of your fanny and think about it for more than three seconds and you'll most likely figure it out.

You understood what WHO was saying? If you are referring to the comment by eolesen about this not being a field trip repair and that the hull insurance won't be shown on 4th qtr profits, please tell me how did you decipher what he meant?

Worst injury reported was a broken nose. Everyone walked away. And thank God it was a Boeing. Had it not hit an embankment and lost the gear, the aircraft might have stayed intact.

Then again, had it not hit the embankment, it would have been on the beach or in the water.

That said, it's probably time for y'all to start on drifting in one of the normal off-topic directions...

1) blaming concessions for the over-run
2) global outsourcing, because a maintenance technician in Costa Rica once looked at the aircraft from a distance
3) my personal favorite -- the perennial "management made them do it"

Worst injury reported was a broken nose. Everyone walked away. And thank God it was a Boeing. Had it not hit an embankment and lost the gear, the aircraft might have stayed intact.

Then again, had it not hit the embankment, it would have been on the beach or in the water.

That said, it's probably time for y'all to start on drifting in one of the normal off-topic directions...

2) global outsourcing, because a maintenance technician in Costa Rica once looked at the aircraft from a distance

Yes,eric, you are right..
The pilots were probably on their laptops..
Goes to show you that even big shot business travellers such as yourself are sometimes at the mercy of underworked and overpaid greedy union people such as pilots and mechanics and flight attendants.

OK boys start playing nice. We are off topic here.

~~~MERRY CHRISTMAS~~~~~

How about the "contract made them do it"?
[Sam] Mayer [, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, which represents 9,000 American pilots] added that American doesn't pay pilots whose trips get interrupted and who can't complete the flying they signed up for. The pilots of Flight 331 were on their first day of a multi-day sequence of trips that, had they diverted the plane to another city, would probably have jeopardized their ability to fly out the rest of the sequence. Not completing trips can cost pilots thousands of dollars in lost income, Mayer said.

"Our pilots shouldn't have to sacrifice their principles to get paid," he said.
American Airlines crash in Jamaica could intensify pilot fatigue debate

:unsure: ------ Now,now,now! On this Great, and wonderful, Christmas Eve, aren't you being a little sarcastic here Olesen? Just because these issues do come up now and then, doesn't make them less valid!!!

Sam] Mayer [, a spokesman for the Allied Pilots Association, which represents 9,000 American pilots] added that American doesn't pay pilots whose trips get interrupted and who can't complete the flying they signed up for. The pilots of Flight 331 were on their first day of a multi-day sequence of trips that, had they diverted the plane to another city, would probably have jeopardized their ability to fly out the rest of the sequence. Not completing trips can cost pilots thousands of dollars in lost income, Mayer said.

"Our pilots shouldn't have to sacrifice their principles to get paid," he said.

I'm pretty sure that coming out and mentioning pay being a cause for unsafe piloting is not the way for the union to go. I suppose this idiot thought it would be a clever way to try to get a pay raise for pilots.
I'm in the industry and the only thing this comment does it gets me pissed over the idea that someone would risk everyone's life and try to land in a situation he/she didn't feel was safe just because they were worrying about the possibility they would lose a few hours pay. If I were that pilot I'd be backpedaling away from any hint that this might be true and I'd also be mad that the entity that is supposed to represent him was already botching it up with the media.

Back