Sully speaks out on pay

While I think he has valid points I can't do much cheerleading for the highest paid work group in the company. If Pilots have to work 2 jobs something is wrong. The other 30,000 employees make do with a lot less.

As for the exp. issue I don't see that happening with manditory retirment anyway and the seniority system it would be another 20 years with no hiring before we hit a exp. pilot shortage.

The highest paid work group in the company is upper management.

Do you have any trouble shaking pom-poms for them?

Sully certainly has a valid point but he is comparing wage expectations leftover from regulation days to the modern reality of market rates for labor.

He should blame the bean counters (both in his union and his company) for ignoring reality for too many years.

You cannot pay out high wages if you don't have the revenue to support those wages. Simple fact.

Otherwise it is just a shell game (see the current UAW-automaker disaster).

Hey, at least the pilots 'only' had a 40% wage reduction.

Those auto workers ain't going to get anything.

While I think he has valid points I can't do much cheerleading for the highest paid work group in the company. If Pilots have to work 2 jobs something is wrong. The other 30,000 employees make do with a lot less.

Head back to school. You certainly aren't being forced to make do with a lot less.

As for the exp. issue I don't see that happening with manditory retirment anyway and the seniority system it would be another 20 years with no hiring before we hit a exp. pilot shortage.

Two points: 1. The E190 F/Os are amongst the lowest paid employees at this company; despite their education and FAA certifications (They are here only because the company lied to them, having them return from much higher paying jobs at other airlines) Many are quiting to go do something else, where at least they are not in a flea infested hotel half of their lives. 2. Age 65 affects will end in a little over 3.5 years, not twenty.

While I would never wish what happened to airline employees on anyone, I want to know why it was okay to take my pension and the pilots' pensions when it is anathema to even discuss autoworkers' pensions.

Pilots skill and education DO mean something, and they should be compensated for it. They fall under the same group as doctors, who spend years in school with about forty years to make up for the 10 that they study and are paid peanuts. That's why their salaries are higher than most.

I don't have a problem with that. My pilot and my doctor----really like experience. It is a very small minded and blue collar mindset that views pilots as just big bus drivers.

Didn't we see that on the Hudson?

We were blindsided by some very clever money people who used a bankruptcy court like no one ever had before. Interesting that GM isn't doing the same thing, yet. No one could have forseen what Glass & Co were able to do to us and then it was just a cancer that spread. That it happened under a sympathetic anti-union republican administration is also no accident.

Kudos to Sully for staying out there and saying it.

You cannot pay out high wages if you don't have the revenue to support those wages. Simple fact.
You forget that whatever revenue comes in, gets divided up into hair-brain schemes and "invested" in buying junk bonds, well before it makes its way over to payroll, at least at LCC.

When your management manages to make $418 million turn into zeros, you would be correct, there is certainly not enough revenue to cover the high cost of cheap, and still pay a decent wage. (Were management so strapped, they would not have had such amounts of cash laying around to tempt themselves with ....) Just sayin'

The airline industry has taken a hit from soooo many directions that it isn't funny. Lets start from the, a-hem, security factor. :rolleyes: At one time they were about 10-20 minimum wage security checkpoints except for the larger ports of entry. Now you have a Thousand Standing Around being paid top-dollar!

Lets talk about the wonderful miracle of a global economy. Then again lets not :ph34r:

Scabs and sell-outs are always a reality but you don't see it until it hits home :huh:

Lets not forget that a house divided among itself cannot stand.

Sully talked about the industry as a whole :up: but people heard what they wanted to hear :down:

You do know that Pres. Obama is more bus and train friendly rather than airline friendly? Did you notice how the TSA said it needs to expand its horizons to include train and bus stations? Google it!

If you think you got it tough, come to NY and see Gov. 'no-clue' Paterson's belt tightening budget that includes high raises for his staff, that we have to pay for and cut corners. Poor Gov. is mad at SNL for making fun of his 'handicap'! Wussy!!!! :lol:

Did you know that a dozen roses for Valentine's day in 1986 cost $25? In 2008 they cost $27.50?

Think about it :blink:

Sully certainly has a valid point but he is comparing wage expectations leftover from regulation days to the modern reality of market rates for labor...

Sure, but let's compare US wages with the AVERAGE of their peers. US pilots make 39% less than the average and 17% less than the next highest labor group.

That's reality.

Did you see Sully last night at Obama's speech?

I'll bet he was the only attendee at both the Academy Awards in LA on Sunday and then jetting to DC for last night's speech. Well-done sir! Congratulations!

Apparently he came as a guest of Nancy Pelosi.

Perhaps Sully had a chance to question Pelosi about the the $30mil she inserted in the stimulus package for her save-the-mice crusade back home in California.

I wonder if there is now the chance that sully could save us airways with his poltical capital ...... after appearing at every major US event during the first half of this year will the us goverment allow this man's airline to fold ? hmmm it's a long shot but you never know .

Sully certainly has a valid point but he is comparing wage expectations leftover from regulation days to the modern reality of market rates for labor.

He should blame the bean counters (both in his union and his company) for ignoring reality for too many years.

Otherwise it is just a shell game (see the current UAW-automaker disaster).

Hey, at least the pilots 'only' had a 40% wage reduction.

Those auto workers ain't going to get anything.

Ahh, Management doesn't seem to have a problem being the highest paid management team in the industry despite the " lack of revenue"you refer too. Yes, the American Way of doing business. Seems to be pretty rampant in this country. Take LUV, for example who's CFO just publicly stated, "We need to take care of our employees first, then the pax. Let me give you the lineup with this "poor excuse for an airline" (or is that a small network leisure travel something or other). Management first-eighth, then pax, ......then employees, if we are even on the list.

The esteemed Members of Congress may have sat there listening to Sully and Jeff, nodding politely, with concerned looks on their faces.

But in the end, it will be business as usual. They will continue to cash campaign contribution checks from the ATA and its constituents, and continue to go home to their districts promising "cheap airfares for everyone!"

Back