bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSSPAM3vauw

part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mya5HUDOWX0&feature=relmfu

Are we repeating history?

While the situation at AA is very serious, I wouldn't compare it to the likes of EA. Different situation, different times.

Although Eastern's employees saw Lorenzo at the time as a savior, he would prove to be anything but a hero to the employees by the end of the decade.

From the feeling I get from the pilots is that they're hoping that Parker will give them a better contract then what Horton gave them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Airlines

While the situation at AA is very serious, I wouldn't compare it to the likes of EA. Different situation, different times.

Your right it is serious here but NO WAY can it be compared to Eastern. The mechanics and other employees of EAL had a fight in them that will never be here at AA. You don't even have a clue as to what it means to fight for your job.
None of the unions here at AA has 1/10th the fight the unions at Eastern had.

"YES" they are gone but most would do it again knowing what was going to happen. Just like the NWA mechanics did when they walked. They had enough of the companies threats and give backs, and made a decision to fight. NWA had a history of that long before AMFA got there. I am talking when IAM was in power in old days.

Your right it is serious here but NO WAY can it be compared to Eastern. The mechanics and other employees of EAL had a fight in them that will never be here at AA. You don't even have a clue as to what it means to fight for your job.
None of the unions here at AA has 1/10th the fight the unions at Eastern had.

"YES" they are gone but most would do it again knowing what was going to happen. Just like the NWA mechanics did when they walked. They had enough of the companies threats and give backs, and made a decision to fight. NWA had a history of that long before AMFA got there. I am talking when IAM was in power in old days.
That's the way I see it. Everyone except the APA has a consensual agreement (even if the details are not unfolded yet).
APA can not legally strike without the NMB release so they are stuck with the LBO until section 6 negotiations.
When that will/could happen may be years away or tomorrow.
But there will be no 'Eastern like' action with AA.

JMHO,
B) xUT

Sick Outs and Slow Downs that cause Delays and Cancellations is worse for the AA Management than a Strike...AA Pilots are Smart. A Strike would turn AA into an Eastern. AA Pilots want to Hurt AA Management with slow bleeding and not cause permanent damage...

Eastern had labor unity and solidarity. They also had some of the finest mechanics I have ever had the pleasure of working with and learning from.

AA's situation is no Eastern. Not even close.

The stupid thing on managements part is that there are no talks going on between the two parties. The company is playing the wait and see game. Not a good idea. If they go to the judge to slap an injunction or whatever you call it it will make it worse. What the hell is the company waiting for?

This Could be The beginning of The End...The Calm before The Storm
I really think the creditors have had just about enough! Carty, I mean Horton, will step down and we will merge. Their is no way AA can operate with the current senior management.

I agree with you Odie.....The way I see it is every workgroup is expendable....The only workgroup that is not expendable are The Pilots....The Pilot Group can make or break a company....The Creditors can not be happy with the way AA Management handled The Pilots Contract pissing them off...The Pilots can Sink The Ship...I was also thinking this could all be a ploy to have the current AA Management Team overthrown and have Doug and company takeover and Pacify The Pilots with a Better Pilot Contract and Save The Sinking Ship...

The stupid thing on managements part is that there are no talks going on between the two parties. The company is playing the wait and see game. Not a good idea. If they go to the judge to slap an injunction or whatever you call it it will make it worse. What the hell is the company waiting for?

The company cannot negotiate if the APA is not willing/ready to come to the table either. The APA has JUST sent out the survey to the pilots this week to find out what they want for a new contract since the previous contract was not approved.

https://public.alliedpilots.org/apa/AboutAPA/APAPublicNews/tabid/843/ctl/ArticleView/mid/1983/articleId/1866/Membership-survey.aspx

Yes, management is worthless and stupid, but management can't force the pilots to sit down and negotiate. Management says that it's ready and waiting to resume negotiations:

“We remain committed to reaching a consensual deal with the APA and stand ready to begin negotiations as soon as APA is prepared to do so,” American spokesman Bruce Hicks said Wednesday.

But APA President is instead in DC trying to drum up sympathy among politicians and DoT Sec. Lahood:

APA President Keith Wilson, who assumed his position after the ratification vote failed, told union members in a letter Tuesday that he’s in Washington, D.C., this week to make the case that American is overreaching with its new terms for pilots.

“I will be posing a related question in my meetings with the various policymakers and stakeholders:‘Is this any way to run an airline?’” Wilson said.

http://www.bizjourna...-ready-for.html

I agree with the idea that the AA membership isn't showing the resolve that EAL people did, but from my observers perch, I do see some parallels. In the video, you see several people that were pissed off, then became engaged, then became more disconnected than ever. If the sampling of this board is anything to go by, that seems to be repeating itself at AA.

Yes, management is worthless and stupid, but management can't force the pilots to sit down and negotiate. Management says that it's ready and waiting to resume negotiations

And if management said it, then it must be true. Trustworthiness and integrity you can take to the bank.

Anyone know here why the management team that is "ready and waiting to resume negotiations" has failed to phone APA to set up the negotiations that they are "ready and willing" to do?

Back