Aircraft maint issues

A strike must be carefully thought out as far as company financial status, job market of potential replacements and of course membership participation.

The NWA strike failed because there were recent layoffs at other airlines thus a large amount of AMTs available.

The FA British Airways strike was another failure due to threats from the company causing a low turnout.

Strikes work when the conditions are right, but its a lot smarter to fight on the inside.

Exactly. Glad to see some one understood my statement.

We are done at AA. The AMT'S don't have the fight and motivation to rid ourselves of the association or the TWU. Now we are facing our sentence handed down to us by our own doing.

I get it 1AA, I know it's been a long hard road for you guys trying to get union replacements. But if this asso. does not bring back a leading T/A and they recommend it, then what? I would think maybe get a card drive going again (just in case and to be prepared for the worst) as that would indicate to the nego team to not to bring out anything that is not industry leading in all ares of the contract or the trigger will be pulled. Just thinking the pressure alone might get better results from this asso. if they knew the threat was there. Good luck brother, I do hear what your saying.

I'll shoot the messenger. At least for this message......AMFA has been good at SWA. Only a fool would argue otherwise.
Yes. AMFA has been very good at SWA and ALK as well. More jobs, headcounts, heavy maint lines and added cities since AMFA was brought in. Which is more than any other union representation the mechanics have ever had at SWA including the IAM and the teamsters.

Exactly. Glad to see some one understood my statement.

Ok but YOU yourself said the last time you guys tried something on the inside that they were watching you all like hawks and the Company filed an injunction or lawsuit against you all.

So you said it's suicide to Strike for you guys cause you'd be destroyed and you can't do anything it seems from the inside either?

Sounds like a Rock and a Hard Place to me.

I get it 1AA, I know it's been a long hard road for you guys trying to get union replacements. But if this asso. does not bring back a leading T/A and they recommend it, then what? I would think maybe get a card drive going again (just in case and to be prepared for the worst) as that would indicate to the nego team to not to bring out anything that is not industry leading in all ares of the contract or the trigger will be pulled. Just thinking the pressure alone might get better results from this asso. if they knew the threat was there. Good luck brother, I do hear what your saying.

52 years. And the vote for IBT representation at US failed and your Union got only 8 write in votes. (TWU got none)

How much fire do really believe there could be out there after the raises came in? I highly doubt as much as some of you guys might think.

Yes. AMFA has been very good at SWA and ALK as well. More jobs, headcounts, heavy maint lines and added cities since AMFA was brought in. Which is more than any other union representation the mechanics have ever had at SWA including the IAM and the teamsters.

So how did they convince or force Management to do all this and why haven't you all struck a full deal in the last 4 and a half years?

Again these are only legitimate questions that people should think about or ask.

If you're trying to sell people that your product is far superior to the one they already have maybe you need to do a lot more?

If there was any time in AA History where maybe it should have happened that was after May 1, 2003. 14 long years ago now.

So how did they convince or force Management to do all this and why haven't you all struck a full deal in the last 4 and a half years?

Again these are only legitimate questions that people should think about or ask.

If you're trying to sell people that your product is far superior to the one they already have maybe you need to do a lot more?

If there was any time in AA History where maybe it should have happened that was after May 1, 2003. 14 long years ago now.
They have been without a contract for a long time but still have higher pay and benefits than we ever did. They are getting more overhaul in house while Lombardo is looking to give more of ours away. They don't pay for their jobs with less hourly pay and they don't have fleet service clerks representing them. I can understand why you love the TWU but you fail to realize that this is a maintenance thread and although you have done well over the years with the TWU we were always far behind. The TWU has gotten us the worst deal in the industry more often than not. We have good reason to not like them no matter how much to try to muddy the waters. I know your purpose is to get this thread shut down and although you have promised to stay away in the past you refuse to leave us alone. We don't want your TWU spin. Yeah you keep saying you want us to get the best in the industry but then again you keep offering why we need to accept less and how you (Fleet service) knows better than we do about the representation we want. Enough is enough. Leave us alone.

Better yet I'll leave.... You and your buddies take the thread over and the so called moderator (Eagle) allows it and then shuts the threads down. I suspect he is also not an AMT. If I want to read drivel from someone who proclaims to be expert on everything I'll read Trump's tweets.

Old guy I don't recall anyone being rude to you when you were on the fleet thread. You guys like to pat one another on the back and need a dose of reality now and then. Look how many AMTs AA has and look how many SW has, do the math. Join a new union now and it might be years before you see a contract

Well Albert if you can say that I have posted near as many times on the fleet thread as weaasles posts here then you have a beef but that is far from the case. I have not come anywhere near that so you don't. I have posted a few times on the fleet thread and most of it had to do with the IAMNPF of which AMTs don't like and Fleet seems to. I don't want it and neither do most AMTs. That being said you can have this whole board for all I care. It was four years before we saw the last lousy contract from the TWU and who knows how much longer it will be? AA wants the TWU to stay for a reason. That being said enjoy. I have no problem with anyone offering opinions but I do have a problem with someone who continues to dominate while being asked to leave. I'll leave instead. Take care and good luck to you.

Reactions: 1AA
They have been without a contract for a long time but still have higher pay and benefits than we ever did. They are getting more overhaul in house while Lombardo is looking to give more of ours away. They don't pay for their jobs with less hourly pay and they don't have fleet service clerks representing them. I can understand why you love the TWU but you fail to realize that this is a maintenance thread and although you have done well over the years with the TWU we were always far behind. The TWU has gotten us the worst deal in the industry more often than not. We have good reason to not like them no matter how much to try to muddy the waters. I know your purpose is to get this thread shut down and although you have promised to stay away in the past you refuse to leave us alone. We don't want your TWU spin. Yeah you keep saying you want us to get the best in the industry but then again you keep offering why we need to accept less and how you (Fleet service) knows better than we do about the representation we want. Enough is enough. Leave us alone.

OldGuy seriously man where are you coming up with all this stuff you think I have in my mind?

I'm not going to go through all of it because I guess you're entitled to your opinion.

But you did say again that SWA Mechanics make more money than you and that's not true. They may have "some" better benefits right now but they make about $4.00 per hour less than you in wages. Even SWAMT has said it here numerous times.

And for Gods sake seriously. They only have 2400 Mechanics. How many of your friends would just disappear if AA went down to 2400? Again how many people that you work with and I'm sure like very much would be GONE if that happened?

And for the record once again. I don't want ANYONE forced into the IAMPF. NOT Fleet, NOT Maintenance, NOT TWU and NOT IAM members.

I WANT to make the choice on it MYSELF. (AFTER) I see what's offered and have some questions answered.

Old guy I don't recall anyone being rude to you when you were on the fleet thread. You guys like to pat one another on the back and need a dose of reality now and then. Look how many AMTs AA has and look how many SW has, do the math. Join a new union now and it might be years before you see a contract
You keep bringing up numbers in that case aa has more fleet service clerks than southwest so what's your point.aa hired us that's there buisness plan not us amts. you can be outsourced just as easy karma has a way of catching up to you wishing aa amts to be outsourced like you do. Your putting your 2 cents in allso about us looking for a new union. Let's see except for the pay increase were still working under a bk contract. You have your fleet service union. We want our amt union so it's our buisness not your are any fleet service our stores clerk

What does Robert Isom mean at the ORD Maintenance Town Hall when he says ( paraphasing ) That we will get the best overall compensation?

I keep hearing guys saying how the company is F---ing us, but in actuality it's been the Association screwing us. The company gave the pilots, FAs, and agents all contract improvements relatively quickly, mainly because their respective unions had voted on who's union would represent their work groups, and then started negotiating right away.

While we voted on nothing and the leadership decided to represent all work groups with two different unions and then lets not forget that GP sued the association (and lose) delaying us another YEAR! I think GP was right, just saying we were delayed another year.

I think AMFA is more important then ever, but they don't seem overly interested in representing us.

Back